• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Experienced Hawaii Traveler Looking For Help With Mexico

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basicall at this point, we've decided to request only Cabo since the combination of heat/humidity and possible hurricanes in Cancun in July/August make the travel plans a bit more risky... I would, however, much appreciate any other II resorts that you have had good experiences at other than the del Arco and Casa Dorado.

Anyone stay at Monarch Grand Vacations? Reviews are pretty decent. Cabo Villas enjoys a great location, but the reviews are a bit too mixed for us to list it as a request. Not sure if we can get a Cabo exchange, but we'll keep trying.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Basicall at this point, we've decided to request only Cabo since the combination of heat/humidity and possible hurricanes in Cancun in July/August make the travel plans a bit more risky... I would, however, much appreciate any other II resorts that you have had good experiences at other than the del Arco and Casa Dorado.

Anyone stay at Monarch Grand Vacations? Reviews are pretty decent. Cabo Villas enjoys a great location, but the reviews are a bit too mixed for us to list it as a request. Not sure if we can get a Cabo exchange, but we'll keep trying.

Cabo Villas has a great location. If you can trade into the new section then I would put it on your list. II I think has more clout than RCI there. I think RCI trades into the old section. Not the best pool though. I would keep your choices to resorts in Cabo and not ones on the Corridor or San Jose.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
. I would, however, much appreciate any other II resorts that you have had good experiences at other than the del Arco and Casa Dorado.
If you choose Casa Dorado, be sure it's the new one that has the beach name Medano in it. That's the best location of any of the Casa Dorados.

I think Cascadas de Baja is an II resort. It's next to the Pueblo Bonito Rose on Medano beach. I've never stayed there but I look onto the property from our timeshare at the Rose. It has a great location but you'd need to check the reviews to see what people think of the resort.

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the Casa Dorado at Medano Beach has no reviews on TUG... the Club Casa Dorada Spa and Golf Resort has plenty of reviews and is highly rated.

Do you still feel the Casa Dorado at Medano Beach is a better request than the Club Casa Dorada Spa and Gold Resort?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Interesting that the Casa Dorado at Medano Beach has no reviews on TUG... the Club Casa Dorada Spa and Golf Resort has plenty of reviews and is highly rated.

Do you still feel the Casa Dorado at Medano Beach is a better request than the Club Casa Dorada Spa and Gold Resort?
I think the Medano Beach location just opened, so maybe that's why it hasn't had any TUG reviews yet. But, it's brand new on the safe, swimmable beach and close to town--should take just a few minutes to walk to the marina, mall, and downtown area. It is a much, much better location. You'd need a rental car if you stayed on the corridor at the other Casa Dorado location.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Actually, a hurricane or tropical storm could hit the Cabo area at that time as well, so if you are set on that time frame, that should not affect your decision in regards to Cancun or Cabo.

While that statement is technically true, that statement implies that hurricanes or tropical storms are equally likely in Cancún or Cabo. That is absolutely not true - Cancún is far more likely to experience severe tropical weather than is Cabo.

Tropical storms and hurricanes occur far less often in the Pacific Ocean near Cabo than in the Caribbean near Cancún. Further, the storms that do form in that area of the Pacific Ocean are generally less severe. This has everything to do with ocean temperatures. Tropical storms are fed by warm water, and temperatures in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Mexico are lower than are typical water temperatures in the Caribbean Ocean and the western Atlantic Ocean near the northern Tropic.

In general, hurricanes and tropical storms near Cabo are so rare that I would give little weight to them in planning a Cabo vacation in summer and early fall. In contrast, I would be extremely aware of the possibility of a hurricane in planning travel to any Caribbean location during those months.

CaboColl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Mexico, but I prefer Cabo...
(I am from Chicago, and love the desert feel).

I also recommend checking out the Trip Advisor forums for lots of information on Cancun and Cabo.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. If you want a downtown feel, with lots of cruise ship activity and fun crowds, then stay in downtown Cabo - lot's of stuff going on there.

But if you want peace and tranquility, check out the reviews of Hacienda Encantada in Cabo.
It is a brand new resort traded with II that is located about 10 minutes from downtown Cabo.

We bought there about (2) years ago. It is still under construction, so all of the amenities are not completed yet - believe me when this place is done, it will be MARVELOUS!!!

We have (2) studio units that are ocean front - fixed week #8. The units connect and share a balcony.
The resort is beautiful, and the views are breathtaking.

If you want any additional info, just let me know.

Colleen

Last edited:

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received a call from II informing me that they have a 1br, 2 ba. unit available for our time window of travel next late July at the Villa del Arco. With those of you familiar with the resort, proximity to town, etc.... would you accept it now?

Couple of questions:

- is it close enough to town where we wouldn't be 'stuck' on the resort?
- they do not have a 'full kitchen' per II, but I believe that only means no oven... is this correct?
- the ratings on this resort are very, very high... are they justified in your opinion?
- is it a place you can kick back by the pool during the day (resort type pool area?) and go into town in the evening to have dinner, have a drink, etc.?
- I realize the beaches in Cabo are not really swimmable... is the beach nearby del Arco at least 'walkable'? How far away is it?

Thanks to all... we're almost there, I believe.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just received a call from II informing me that they have a 1br, 2 ba. unit available for our time window of travel next late July at the Villa del Arco. With those of you familiar with the resort, proximity to town, etc.... would you accept it now?
I think I'd take it. It's a beautiful place--haven't stayed there but got a brief tour last year. You certainly won't be stuck at the resort. If you like to walk, you can walk to town fairly easily from there. You'll be right on the beach and it is swimmable, but gets even calmer as you walk toward the marina.

Next to VDA there's a whole/fractional ownership resort call Estancia and I can't remember if VDA is in the middle between Villa del Palmar and Estancia or on the end. Anyway, there's a wide open space between the three resorts and the rest of the resorts that sit on Medano Beach going toward the marina and town. So, you'll have a long expanse of beach to walk on and to get in the water as it's all swimmable. There are all kinds of water activities available along the beach and numerous vendors. If you're not interested in their wares, just politely say no and keep going.

Walking into town there is a road with a sidewalk that will take you out of the VDA/VDP/Estancia complex and in front of Cascadas, Pueblo Bonito Rose, and on to town & the mall & the marina. It's level but turns into a dirt/sand road on parts of it and back to pavement. Just be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes, look out for uneven surfaces, and you'll be okay. It's easier to walk on the sidewalk & road than to attempt to walk to town all the way on the beach. If you get tired you can always get a cab or a pedi-cab to take you back.

I think you'll really enjoy Cabo--we will be there next week, and we're looking forward to it.:banana:

Forgot to answer your other questions: There are no ovens in Cabo timeshares--not really sure why--but most have microwaves, burners, & refrigerators. You might wait until you check in to do your grocery shopping to be sure how large your refrigerator is and how much storage space you have.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just found a really cool video about Los Cabos that the OP might enjoy seeing. It shows all the various activities in the area, tells about the three different parts of Los Cabos, show a number of private villas, and toward the end shows some of the newer timeshares. There's a section at about the 44 minute mark that shows Villa del Palmar, Estancia, and El Arco.
I've posted this link in another separate thread and in the Mexico information sticky at the top of the Mexico forum page.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The Arco is nice and has full size fridges. Check out the Palmilla Market in front of the VDP for some quick groceries and booze or the deli for a hamburger or sandwich. Theres a little shuttle going back and forth from the Arco to the VDP every 5 minutes.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I just found a really cool video about Los Cabos that the OP might enjoy seeing. It shows all the various activities in the area, tells about the three different parts of Los Cabos, show a number of private villas, and toward the end shows some of the newer timeshares. There's a section at about the 44 minute mark that shows Villa del Palmar, Estancia, and El Arco.
I've posted this link in another separate thread and in the Mexico information sticky at the top of the Mexico forum page.

That is a cool link.

Kenrabs

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The 1 bedroom is spacious and comfortable. There is a 4 burner stove with no oven. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in vacationing in Mexico. Washer and dryer in unit but need to bring your own detergent. Dish washer with detergent for 1 load. Large balconies even with 1 bedroom units. Whirlpool tub in master bedroom. Large pool area that is peaceful. They do enforce not reserving pool chairs if it's crowded. Let security know if you notice it. You can visit Villa del Palmar if you want a more active pool scene. Food was good but over priced.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Karen. I was thinking we would take advantage of the Mayan Palace offer to owners next year of not using our week, thus saving the MF. However, you've changed my mind. We'll have to go check out the new Grand Mayan Los Cabos!

Jana

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
This is a new experience for me... basically, for the past 10 years, my wife and I have been timeshare vacationers on all of the islands of Hawaii. You can't beat it, but it's time to 'explore' other locales. Mexico is numero uno on the list.

Advice needed:

Don't go to Mexico. Go back to Hawaii. :) Said with tongue in cheek. We were in your position last year. After many years of going to HI we (I) decided to try MX. We had two pretty nice weeks in PV and NV. It was a good experience but we will probably not go back to MX. We missed Hawaii. We love Hawaii.

Go to MX and enjoy but I'm betting you'll miss your annual trip to HI. :cheer: