• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Experience at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, Palm Desert

Explorer Package Worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

drmirage

Reaction score
We received an invitation by mail to view The Westin Desert Willows (Palm Desert) late last year. The cost was $349 to make the reservation for 5 days / 4 nights and we will receive a $75 Gift Card when we arrive. So we made the reservation and checked out on the 4th of July.

This is the summary of the experience:

When we arrived, a free $75 Visa Gift Card was waiting for us at the VIP Concierge. The customer service of the Westin resort seems better than our previous experience (comparing to Holiday Inn Vacations in Scottsdale AZ). We are Spire Elite Members with IHG and have only attended HI sales presentations prior.

In any event, I was surprised that we received the $75 Visa GC without any obligations. I had looked at the reviews of WDWV on Tripadvisor and Yelp and it seemed great, so we did not have much to lose by taking a chance with the offer. (Usually these deals require a timeshare presentation). The going rate for this property is around $110 a night plus taxes so I think it was a good deal to check it out.

Along with the $75 GC, we also received a free clear tote with the Westin Logo. The rooms we received was the Premium Room (Larger 1 bedroom with full kitchen) in building 4. First Floor. (It was mentioned that we were upgraded from the regular room since it was available)

The concierge gave us an option to attend a 90 min presentation and will provide us a $100 Visa GC in exchange....Just to listen and we accepted.

Before the presentation, we received the $100 Visa GC immediately. (surprising.. because on our experience, we have always received the gift afterwards LOL.)

Long story short, no matter how good the deal was, the cost of the maintenance was $1,690 per year and it did not make sense to have a long commitment. They offered us 100k (once we sign) and 81k (yearly) Starpoints for $30k with the agreement. I declined. (took more than 90 mins but it was no pressure)

Afterwards, we were offered the Explorer Package for $1,645 + $299 (initial deposit) = $1,944.

The explorer package includes 3 nights in a 1 BRD Villa at the WDWV. Once 50% of the package is paid, 40k starpoints will be deposited in 15 days. Another 40k starpoints will be deposited after the completion of the sales presentation. I agreed and gave the $299 deposit then after the 4th day (today), I rescinded the explorer package because after doing the math. It didn't make sense for us.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The rooms / amenities are very clean and the property is very well maintained.

So for the viewing. 5 days / 4 nights at the WDWV
Paid $349.00
Received $75 Welcome Gift
Received $100 Gift for attending 90 min Presentation
Received $25 for inconvenience (explorer package paperwork took longer than expected)
Paid $28 for parking ($7 days per day).
Received 1,500 Starpoints (in lieu of declining daily cleaning.. I chose the points vs $5 per day)

My question for the experts is. Should I not have cancelled the Explorer Package.
80k StarPoints sounded good plus we would get Gold Status for 1 year with 3 nights at the WDWV.

Part of the reason why I cancelled is I just applied for the Marriott CC and it has as 100k bonus points after hitting minimum spend. This will equal to 33K Star Points and I didn't have to spend $1,944 out of my pocket.

The explorer rep told me that these explorer packages are loss leaders and its a very good deal. I'm not sure if that statement is accurate. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The explorer package is a great deal if you anticipate buying — which generally means you have something to trade or requalify. Otherwise, skip it.

drmirage

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Yes I have cancelled.

I am hoping to get another invite so that I can take advantage of another $350 (out of pocket) and $150 net after my stay.

The explorer package is a great deal if you anticipate buying — which generally means you have something to trade or requalify. Otherwise, skip it.