• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expecting a Big MF Increase at Grande Vista? [MERGED - FL resorts Fully-Funded Reserves]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I received the proposed 2020 MF budget for Grande Vista and it looks like there could be a big increase. Discounting the way they show the reserve fee and only looking at the operating fee it shows an increase of $168.61. When you remove the increase in the Management Fee (because it is inflated because of how they show reserve funding on the proposed budget), the increase is still around $120. That works out to about an 8% increase over last year. I would expect some increase in reserve funding to finlate that 8% even higher.

I get that this is still a proposed budget, but the proposed increases in certain line items don't look promising.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Love MGV, but bad potential news on MFees. I’ll vote against it as an owner of two weeks at MGV. Just let me know how.

BarDown

Reaction score
I'll be attending the AGM this year instead of signing over my proxy to BoD.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Love MGV, but bad potential news on MFees. I’ll vote against it as an owner of two weeks at MGV. Just let me know how.

Agreed. I also have 2 weeks there. Without more info/justification, I won't vote in favor either.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
some of the largest increases I noticed in $/unit:

Front desk $13.52
Housekeeping $36.65
Insurance $15.75
Management fee $41.54 (up 32%!!!)

Why such an increase in the management fee?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Front desk $13.52
Housekeeping $36.65
Insurance $15.75

Shouldn’t the Management Fee be a fixed percentage?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Front desk $13.52
Housekeeping $36.65
Insurance $15.75

Management fee is tied to the overall MF (Operating, Tax & Reserve). Since the reserve on the estimated budget is based on fully funding the reserves, it drives up the estimated management fee. If the ownership votes to waive fully funding, the increase in management fee won't be so drastic.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'll be attending the AGM this year instead of signing over my proxy to BoD.
If you can, try to go to both the annual meeting and the BoD meetings. You get far more information by attending the BoD meeting. Though there is no voting at the BoD meeting, voting happens the next day at the annual meeting.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You really can't. You can only vote to waive fully funding reserves. All the other line items are up to the BoD to decide.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Front desk $13.52
Housekeeping $36.65
Insurance $15.75

Not sure why the Management fee is going up so high but one has to really think twice about ever replacing Marriott as the property Manager.

Some years ago (maybe 2006 or so) some Marriott timeshare resorts lost their affiliation with Marriott and their resale value evaporated overnight. Anyone remember Spicebush or Swallowtail on Hilton Head ?

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I received the proposed 2020 MF budget for Grande Vista and it looks like there could be a big increase. Discounting the way they show the reserve fee and only looking at the operating fee it shows an increase of $168.61. When you remove the increase in the Management Fee (because it is inflated because of how they show reserve funding on the proposed budget), the increase is still around $120. That works out to about an 8% increase over last year. I would expect some increase in reserve funding to finlate that 8% even higher.

I get that this is still a proposed budget, but the proposed increases in certain line items don't look promising.
Count yourself lucky. Lakeshore has a proposed 20% increase

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure why the Management fee is going up so high but one has to really think twice about ever replacing Marriott as the property Manager.

Some years ago (maybe 2006 or so) some Marriott timeshare resorts lost their affiliation with Marriott and their resale value evaporated overnight. Anyone remember Spicebush or Swallowtail on Hilton Head ?

Post #7 explains the "proposed" increase in the management fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Count yourself lucky. Lakeshore has a proposed 20% increase
Again, these are proposed budgets and in Florida they include the reserves as if they are fully funded. Which more times than not the ownership votes to waive the fully funding requirement.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Again, these are proposed budgets and in Florida they include the reserves as if they are fully funded. Which more times than not the ownership votes to waive the fully funding requirement.

This "fully-funded Reserves" voting issue is one of the only ones over which owners actually have control. It's vitally important to vote your proxies because absent an owner-majority vote against fully-funded reserves, MVW is legally mandated to implement them.

Both Florida and South Carolina are "fully-funded Reserves" states; at the Florida resorts this is an annual voting issue but at the SC resorts it's intermittent. Each state has its own defined parameters which require resorts to maintain Reserves funds that exceed the Marriott standard. This isn't because Marriott is underfunding; it's because the states require a Reserves balance that covers up to the entire replacement cost of a resort, while the resort BOD recommendations can factor in things like warranties on major replacement items (roofs, siding, water heaters, etc etc etc,) Marriott's routine refurbishment schedules, extending the usable life of goods beyond the states' qualifications, etc.

I'm NOT saying that everybody should just vote "NO" on fully-funded Reserves. I am saying that it's an important voting issue that shouldn't be ignored, and if you're hesitant about what sounds like a scary vote - "But why wouldn't we want Reserves fully-funded?!?!" - then you should contact your resort BOD and ask them to explain the specific differences between what the state considers fully-funding at your resort and what Marriott considers it.

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have last year's budget.

Even if the budget reflects fully funded reserves, I don't ever remember the budgeted increase ever being this high in years past. I also own two weeks -- this hurts.

-ryan

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have the 2019 proposed budget from last year. The proposed increase showing this year is much higher. Last year the operating fee showed a proposed increase of 5.4%, this year it is 18.6%.

However, the proposed increase in the reserve fee was over $150, but the actual increase ended up only being about $14. This year the proposed increase in the reserve fee is almost $300, but as previously indicated, that is based on fully funding reserves.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have the 2019 proposed budget from last year. The proposed increase showing this year is much higher. Last year the operating fee showed a proposed increase of 5.4%, this year it is 18.6%.

However, the proposed increase in the reserve fee was over $150, but the actual increase ended up only being about $14. This year the proposed increase in the reserve fee is almost $300, but as previously indicated, that is based on fully funding reserves.

Wow. $14? I looked back through Barony and SW in the TUG MF's threads and Reserves there have always been much higher than that, even with the fully-funded mandates being voted down and minus the SA's/adjustments for recent storms damage. Think $150-$250 over a ten-year spread! Are you concerned that collecting as low as $14/Week would eventually, by necessity, require a large offset at some point?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Wow. $14? I looked back through Barony and SW in the TUG MF's threads and Reserves there have always been much higher than that, even with the fully-funded mandates being voted down and minus the SA's/adjustments for recent storms damage. Think $150-$250 over a ten-year spread! Are you concerned that collecting as low as $14/Week would eventually, by necessity, require a large offset at some point?
I think dioxide45 was talking a $14 INCREASE in the reserve amount....not a $14 reserve.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think dioxide45 was talking a $14 INCREASE in the reserve amount....not a $14 reserve.

DOH! Of course.

Nevermind. :D

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
Glad i read this! I saw a $400+ increase in my MF this year as a 3br Gold owner and almost came un-glued! Sounds like the budget is just for the fully funding reserves and when that fails, the MF will only go up $50-$100 instead of $400+.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Marriott just kind of does what it wants and gets those increases.

I keep thinking how the sales' department hard-sells people on timeshare, and then when owners decided they made a mistake and walk away, Marriott is never hurt by it. It's the owners who are hurt. We pay for the people who don't pay. That is truth. And it's horrible because it's entirely the fault of the salespeople.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I received a Notice of Budget Meeting for Imperial Palms Villas today. I don't usually pay attention to these as I cannot attend but this time I noticed a link to some documents. In the documents I saw a budget proposal.

The budget proposal showed a 42.8% increase in maintenance fees.

Am I missing something here?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I received a Notice of Budget Meeting for Imperial Palms Villas today. I don't usually pay attention to these as I cannot attend but this time I noticed a link to some documents. In the documents I saw a budget proposal.

The budget proposal showed a 42.8% increase in maintenance fees.

Am I missing something here?
I believe that it is due to Florida requiring fully funded reserves which I believe gets voted down every year. At least I hope that is what it is.