• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exiting Timeshare ownership

RayMWu

Reaction score
Attended a presentation tonight from Square One regarding "updating timeshare ownership" programs (Yes, it was via an offer received in the mail and offered free food and $50:)

I've searched here in TUG and read the articles regarding timeshare sales and the few postings on Square one itself but still the "facts" they raised are intriguing.

They claim back in 2014/2015 RCI reached out to timeshare owners realizing how unhappy owners were and hated being stuck in perpetual contracts that burdened the future generations with maintenance responsibility and debt that RCI at that time offered to do two things: assist the owners to get out of the timeshare altogether by getting them out of the contract with some upfront cost (almost equivalent to the outstanding years or balance of the contract but at least without the continued perpetuity) OR to switchover to the RCI Points system upon a paying a fee where one will get some equivalent of your timeshare in points to use in the points network to continue to exchange w/o the weight of the contract in perpetuity.

We told them that we've been timeshare owners for 30+ years and never heard of this. They supposedly looked into the system and can see that we never "signed and declined the offer" and "asked" RCI to make the program available to us. After a 1/2 hour or so the rep came back and said good news there is three alternatives to our ownership:
1) Continue as is if we are happy; 2) pay ~5K to have the contract terminated and our obligation ended forever; 3) ~4K to end our contract and to join RCI Trust which is like the RCI Points system but better - you don't pay every year to be part of RCI Points but $299 whenever you want to make an request and then depending on the vacation it will cost between $89-$299 for the week itself.

Yes, sounds too good to be true but... Any way of confirming this to be the truth or is this an elaborate scam like others?

Thanks for help, advice, and guidance.

Ray & Claudia

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's ALL a pack of lies. No such exit package anyone here has heard of. It's just an upfront fee scam. Never heard of RCI Trust either, but it sounds like access to the leftover units in RCI Last Calls.

Hope they didn't get any of your money.

If you are trying to unload a TS consider listing it in the TUG Bargain Deals subforum in Buying, Selling, Renting forum. It's free.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
$5k to get out sounds too good to be true? No wonder there are so many scams like this out there. I'm sorry to read this.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score

RayMWu

Reaction score
Thanks all for the insight - so glad we went with our gut feel and didn't do anything. Another couple stopped us outside the Marriott where it was held and they asked us if we did it. We replied no to which they said they did for two timeshares that they were tired of and looking forward to getting rid of them - I hope things works out for them and not see them mentioned in the BBB for Missouri.

Thanks again.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
4 or 5 years ago I went to one of these meetings just to see what the pitch was and how many lies they told. My recollection is that about 75% of attendees were quasi elderly satisfied TS Owners who for one reason or another wanted out. What shocked me was that more than half signed on the dotted line and presumably wrote the check...

George