• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exercise bikes... Peloton? [ merged ]

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Snazzylass I agree completely with everything @VegasBella had to say.

A few add'l comments:

I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the purchase b/c as you know, so expensive. But I asked everyone that had a Peloton did they regret their purchase and no one told me they did. And how many people do you know that have a piece of exercise equipment in their house that they never use? I know plenty.

I purchased the shoes I did b/c I have wide feet and the ones on Amazon that I gave you the link for had decent reviews regarding that. And I got my 3 lb weights from Amazon for $12.

I just finished my "Club Bangers Ride" ride with Alex Touissant and am ready for the day! You'll soon figure out which instructors you like . Alex is pretty easy on the eyes so there's that.

My reasons for getting the Peloton were maybe a bit different than Vegas B....when my cycle studio reopened I could NOT stand all the Covid protocols and I decided "not for me". I still have a membership at my "bro gym" where I use their squat rack, etc. and it's a great vibe for me.

Last comment: the resale value on them is very high. I figured if I'm tired of it after a year, I'll sell it.

If you buy it - I'm here for you w/questions, etc. Though I doubt you'll have many b/c it's so intuitive.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I’m waiting for Apple fitness+ to hit the market to see what workouts they have on that system. People love peloton, but it’s possible other services will be coming out with platforms to compete. The apple service will be streaming workouts and they have cycling. You may be able to use any bike with It.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m waiting for Apple fitness+ to hit the market to see what workouts they have on that system. People love peloton, but it’s possible other services will be coming out with platforms to compete. The apple service will be streaming workouts and they have cycling. You may be able to use any bike with It.
There are already other competitors for Peloton. And lots of people put a screen on any bike and stream Peloton rides that way. Lots of options exist like this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
There are already other competitors for Peloton. And lots of people put a screen on any bike and stream Peloton rides that way. Lots of options exist like this.
True, I think the thing I like about the Apple fitness+ is everything else that comes along with it. Of course it will have limitations as with all new services.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
True, I think the thing I like about the Apple fitness+ is everything else that comes along with it. Of course it will have limitations as with all new services.
I think I read that someone has the new Peloton Bike+ and were super stoked that it linked with their Apple watch or something when they stood near it.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
@Snazzylass I agree completely with everything @VegasBella had to say.

A few add'l comments:

I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the purchase b/c as you know, so expensive. But I asked everyone that had a Peloton did they regret their purchase and no one told me they did. And how many people do you know that have a piece of exercise equipment in their house that they never use? I know plenty.

I purchased the shoes I did b/c I have wide feet and the ones on Amazon that I gave you the link for had decent reviews regarding that. And I got my 3 lb weights from Amazon for $12.

I just finished my "Club Bangers Ride" ride with Alex Touissant and am ready for the day! You'll soon figure out which instructors you like . Alex is pretty easy on the eyes so there's that.

My reasons for getting the Peloton were maybe a bit different than Vegas B....when my cycle studio reopened I could NOT stand all the Covid protocols and I decided "not for me". I still have a membership at my "bro gym" where I use their squat rack, etc. and it's a great vibe for me.

Last comment: the resale value on them is very high. I figured if I'm tired of it after a year, I'll sell it.

If you buy it - I'm here for you w/questions, etc. Though I doubt you'll have many b/c it's so intuitive.
Hey, thank you again! I have seen where they do hold their value. The ROI is not bad!
It seems that old adage holds true: You get what you pay for

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm curious why you say you paid a premium if it was used?

Right now, used sell for as much or more than the new. They are in very high demand.
The reason people buy used now is because the buyer gets the bike NOW instead of two months later. And because Peloton has been canceling some orders, unable to deliver to some locations or just can't keep up with demand. Many people complain that their delivery dates get changed and they don't get their bikes when promised. So... anyone trying to avoid that hassle is in the group shopping for used and drives the price up.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was planning to buy an expensive eliptical this fall but now our health club is opening up in a parking lot tent with 6 foot spaced gear. Will try that and see before buying. I would like them to survive beyond Covid.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Right now, used sell for as much or more than the new. They are in very high demand.
The reason people buy used now is because the buyer gets the bike NOW instead of two months later. And because Peloton has been canceling some orders, unable to deliver to some locations or just can't keep up with demand. Many people complain that their delivery dates get changed and they don't get their bikes when promised. So... anyone trying to avoid that hassle is in the group shopping for used and drives the price up.
Hey thanks! Just checking :) I wondered if that is what you meant.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I have a good old fashioned Schwinn fan exercise bike with the moving handlebars.
I'm sure it is nice, especially with the arm workout...but, there are exercise bikes and then there are the ones for studio cycling or spin classes. These are a whole 'nother level. I've tried work-out bikes in gyms. They just don't compare. On the other hand, I've read books on them as I have on treadmills and elliptical trainers. I've heard of people knitting on them, too. My luck, I'd drop my skein and get the yarn caught :(

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
My sister loves hers! She upgraded to the newest one when it became available after having the old one for 2 weeks. Likes the bigger screen.
uh, well, good for her! I found the original screen large enough, though the auto setting sounded intriguing.

I took a test ride today and found it EXHILARATING!! Loved it! It's a very long time since I've enjoyed anything that much! So, I ordered one :)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
uh, well, good for her! I found the original screen large enough, though the auto setting sounded intriguing.

I took a test ride today and found it EXHILARATING!! Loved it! It's a very long time since I've enjoyed anything that much! So, I ordered one :)
YESSSSSSSSSS.

So glad! Did they give you a sense of when it might be delivered?

Screename: Townie

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I have a Peloton. I absolutely LOVE it.

That said, I don't think I would love it if I'd gotten it pre-pandemic. It's been a life-safer for me with the Pandemic making gyms closed and/or unsafe to use. I love the gym and go regularly, it's my lifeline and keeps me sane. Without the gym I got really depressed. My husband saw how depressed I was and he insisted we get a Peloton. I was skeptical. But he was right. I use it every single day that I am not out of town. I love it.
But... He used it once. He doesn't use it. It's not really his thing. And our son uses it a tiny bit but not really. So my feeling is that it's going to be really well-suited to people who already love working out and maybe like spin class or group fitness but that other people are more of a gamble as to whether they will like it or not.

Other things:
I use a Scosche heartrate monitor with mine. The Peloton brand heartrate monitor broke pretty quickly.
I use Pearl Izumi shoes. I don't have special feet or anything, I just got a better deal. I have heard the Peloton shoes are extra narrow but I don't know.
I have the Peloton handweights. If you don't buy theirs (which are overpriced) do get some weights. 1-3 pound handweights for the arms classes or the classes that have bike and arms mixed.
I didn't buy any of the other special Peloton stuff like their yoga mat etc bc either I already had it or I could get it much cheaper elsewhere.
We do not use the mat under the Peloton. We have it but our pets will chew it up. Our floors are stained concrete so it's fine, it's not going to slip or anything. Everything has been fine.
I got a set of hand towel sized workout towels just for use with the bike. And I got a small fan that sort of 'clips' onto the bike to help cool me off during a workout and help me feel like I'm moving in the breeze.

Is the bike worth it? Well that totally depends, of course. My husband is so impressed he says he thinks we already got our money's worth even though he doesn't use it. He just knows how much I use it and love it. I am talking about it CONSTANTLY.
There is a new Bike+ available now so... that means there might be more used bikes available if you're willing to take a little risk. We bought ours used (to avoid the long delivery waits) and it's been great. But I'm sure not everyone has a good experience. Otherwise, you can buy new from the company with interest-free financing.

Keep in mind that to get the full benefit you need to pay the subscription service. If you are considering getting it without the subscription then I highly suggest getting a BowFlex or similar and using a tablet to ride with various other cycling services. That will save a lot of money. The Peloton without a subscription isn't really worth the money IMO. It's a package deal that works very well together but you can get the pieces separately elsewhere in a way that might suit your needs better depending on your fitness skills, goals, etc. So think about that before taking the plunge, especially if money is tight.
Thank you again! I really appreciate your details! So helpful! I have learned a lot reading FB posts, but the TUG responses are so much more concise and informative!

I love the Pearl Izumi brand :) Good reminder about towels. The guy at the store mentioned that. I've got a whole stock of little towels I've accumulated from attending Indiana Pacer games - need to dig those out.

I love hearing that you have concrete floors - cool! haha, in more ways than one. When I asked the guy at the store the purpose of the mat, he said it was to catch the sweat! I do remember that from spinning classes - puddles from the drips off our wrists. I have an extra mat, so I think I will start with that.

I hate redundancy. My house is small which I like - it's just enough! And, I don't plan on living here forever, so I am super careful about what I bring in my house. Let's just say I've used my "sofa money" for this purchase. Luckily, $ is not tight, but I want to spend it in the right way. It's taken me awhile to get my feet back under me after several setbacks, and I really, really need to get back my Strength. Love my job, but it is sedentary and it has taken its toll :)

I have weights, too! And, a fan - so, I'll get that out. The guy at the store mentioned hooking up my iPad to my TV, or maybe I just envision that to use the other classes. I might invest in a roller - I've heard they have some of those classes. I've heard good things about those.

I had a heart monitor that came with my street bike computer when I upgraded to keep track of my cadence (that's something I believe in from road rides), but really, I'm thinking for me, my Apple watch should be okay. I want to use the indoor bike to improve/restore my fitness level so I am ready for hiking, road rides and walking in SFO with my kids. They live there and boy, is that humbling! Wow, that will tell you how out of shape you are :) LOL!

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
YESSSSSSSSSS.

So glad! Did they give you a sense of when it might be delivered?

Screename: Townie
Gurl, you are the best! What do I owe you for the handle? That's great! And, I might use it!

My delivery date is Oct 23rd :) which is not bad. I got the impression that their delivery times are getting back on track. I considered used, but then the delivery is an issue, and frankly, I don't have the time right now due to my work schedule. I considered other indoor bikes, but I really, really liked the bike I rode in the store. Okay, I loved it. When I mentioned how long I've done spinning classes, the store guy suggested I might have been doing them since they came on the scene. Oh! yes, that's right. I remember when the Y first got them (We had a really good Y in Indy. I haven't found that to be the case anywhere else I've lived). So, I am very familiar with the adjustments, etc. This bike just felt great! I was home.

And, interestingly, my road shoes do have 3 bolts. So for now, I can switch the cleats. I am sure I will eventually want a second pair - because I will get tired of changing them out. That ain't me. I want to get on my bike and go as quick as I can!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok - I'm so so so happy for you. There are two things I love to spend $$ on: fitness & education.

Your delivery date is absolutely reasonable. That's less than a month out! Fun facts: as your delivery date approaches you'll get emails from Peloton giving you guidance on setting up your app, preparing for delivery, etc. Then when you get the bike there are short , walk-thru, videos to help you get the equipment set up at the proper positions.

Keep your little wrench handy for your cleats for the switch out. I keep mine near my bike all of the time anyways b/c I frequently tighten the cleats and don't like any movement in them whatsoever.

I don't use a separate heart monitor. I wear my Apple watch for all things fitness and monitor that way. It's a great comparison for me across all forms of fitness. Just go into the workout app and choose "indoor cycle" -- BOOM! Easy!

There are some "recovery rides" that I do that allow you to focus on technique such as cadence. You might really enjoy that. There is really so much to explore and do on it that I can't even describe.

Welcome to the family! And look out for DePauwNotDePaul !

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
"There are two things I love to spend $$ on: fitness & education."

Just caught the sweetest video of RBG's personal trainer dropping and doing push ups in front of her casket as a part of him paying his respect. No matter what your politics, got to love that!

And, just read that ASU has jumped 6 spots to #4 on the list of Sierra Club's "coolest schools."

It's interesting that I'm getting a bit of envy and pushback on this major purchase. Those probably aren't the right words to describe other peoples' opinions, but I could have spent roughly the same amount on a refrigerator or sofa and it would have been accepted that I "need" those things.

Nope! I really, really need to move my body :) Son1 mentioned a WFH group of commuter riders who get on their bikes right before and after work for 15 minutes or so. Can't wait to join them!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just looked at the price. They are not as much as I thought they would be. If you can afford the initial investment and avoid the gym (which for me is 7 miles away), you can save gas and the gym membership. It could easily pay for itself. Now I see why my daughter-in-law loves it so much and thought it a worthwhile investment.

Our son would never get those shoes and ride the bike. He is not in the best shape but works hard at his job (physical lifting) and is excited that an In-N-Out is opening a mile from his store. I told him to eat without the bun and that would be better. He just gave me his "no way" smile.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It's interesting that I'm getting a bit of envy and pushback on this major purchase. Those probably aren't the right words to describe other peoples' opinions, but I could have spent roughly the same amount on a refrigerator or sofa and it would have been accepted that I "need" those things.

Nope! I really, really need to move my body :)
Yeah it's kind of sad how so many people disparage exercise, exercise equipment, and gyms. These are fantastic tools that improve quality of life.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yeah it's kind of sad how so many people disparage exercise, exercise equipment, and gyms. These are fantastic tools that improve quality of life.
That's because they bought exercise equipment and didn't use it. So they assume you will be the same, and that is just not a logical assumption.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife one for a major birthday years ago and she loves it.

I only use it 1-2x/week but think the classes and instructors are great. The instructors push me much harder than I would riding by myself. I do the recorded classes because I like to be able to jump on without having to coordinate on a class time. The recorded classes feels live to me.

My impression is that the majority of Peloton owners are happy with the purchase. You still have to have the motivation to put in the work.

Whether you are a fan or a hater, this thread mocking Peloton is pretty funny.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Good thread on exercise bikes. We looked at Peloton, ICG, Nordic Track, and Echelon. Eventually went with Echelon because it's about half of what Peloton costs and I got all bent out of shape about P's stupid proprietary cleat system Cornell mentioned above. We got the non-screen version and I just added an old tablet we had lying around. I'll say the UI and immersive experience is better on Peloton based on the hotel gym use we've seen, but we're happy with Echelon. Took about 6 weeks to get it and no assembly service available so we had to hand truck it down to the pain cave in the basement.

Echelon also doesn't have a proprietary bluetooth system...you can connect to other apps like Bkool, Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc.

You could also buy a road bike and a smart trainer, and use Zwift, and ride with literally thousands of other people at a time in virtual worlds like London, Innsbruck, Paris, and New York. They have like a hundred group events or races every day. Just another option to think about, and you can actually take that bike outside!!!

Here is our overbuilt indoor cycling studio:

20200929_141246.jpg

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I just looked at the price. They are not as much as I thought they would be. If you can afford the initial investment and avoid the gym (which for me is 7 miles away), you can save gas and the gym membership. It could easily pay for itself. Now I see why my daughter-in-law loves it so much and thought it a worthwhile investment.

Our son would never get those shoes and ride the bike. He is not in the best shape but works hard at his job (physical lifting) and is excited that an In-N-Out is opening a mile from his store. I told him to eat without the bun and that would be better. He just gave me his "no way" smile.
So true! Have him try the Flying Dutchman - 2 patties w/cheese, no bun. Their patties are small. Just 2 oz.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I bought my wife one for a major birthday years ago and she loves it.

I only use it 1-2x/week but think the classes and instructors are great. The instructors push me much harder than I would riding by myself.

Only one to two times per week? That's a decent workout if you were attending a spinning class or road riding.
Your first cartoon hit too close to home. haha...the second? That is the best! I've worked out in gyms where they can open a wall of windows.

As I've said, I am a road rider, but there's lots of great things to say about spinning. First, I'd venture to guess a lot less deaths, and don't discount that. I've seen 2 people killed in group rides. So, yes, lots less wrecks of all sorts. And, I used to be deathly afraid of dogs while road riding.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, just read that ASU has jumped 6 spots to #4 on the list of Sierra Club's "coolest schools."
Speaking of cool....
Yesterday at ASU we saw these adorable little robots zipping all over campus. We found out they are for food delivery. Like Grub Hub but a robot delivers your food. They were everywhere and fascinating. They cross busy streets, etc.

(and that's my awesome daughter in the pic - -we had such a good trip. Sad to be home).

1601414644771.png

Brett

Reaction score
Good thread on exercise bikes. We looked at Peloton, ICG, Nordic Track, and Echelon. Eventually went with Echelon because it's about half of what Peloton costs and I got all bent out of shape about P's stupid proprietary cleat system Cornell mentioned above. We got the non-screen version and I just added an old tablet we had lying around. I'll say the UI and immersive experience is better on Peloton based on the hotel gym use we've seen, but we're happy with Echelon. Took about 6 weeks to get it and no assembly service available so we had to hand truck it down to the pain cave in the basement.

Echelon also doesn't have a proprietary bluetooth system...you can connect to other apps like Bkool, Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc.

You could also buy a road bike and a smart trainer, and use Zwift, and ride with literally thousands of other people at a time in virtual worlds like London, Innsbruck, Paris, and New York. They have like a hundred group events or races every day. Just another option to think about, and you can actually take that bike outside!!!

Here is our overbuilt indoor cycling studio:

I saw the Zwift setup in a local bike shop
Looks like a fun way to cycle using your regular bike in the winter months