• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging WorldMark Points for Hyatt Maui Residence Club

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
I have been a long time WorldMark owner but have never exchanged my points and would appreciate guidance! We want to exchange our points (we have 12,000 and 10,000 available to borrow) for a week at the Hyatt Maui Residence Club. Should I join Interval Intl and do I have a good chance of getting a week in either Jan, Feb or March of 2019? How many points do we need for a 2 BR?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Yes you would need to be a member of II.

You can do a deposit first. Tell VC unit size and season. They pick random unit to deposit. You may get a good unit or a dud.

Or you can search first. You will have a WM float in your II account use the 3 bedroom unit for better trading. You will only use credits based on size of unit you match. Not sure on borrowing for exchanges.

While you may get what your looking for high demand Hawaii stuff may be hard this late in process.

Here is the credit grid for exchanging

The following credits are charged for II/RCI exchanges:

Size...........Red.......Yellow(White).....Green(Blue)
Studio........8000......6000..................4000
1BR............9000......7000..................5000
2BR............10000.....8000..................6000
3BR............12000.....9000..................7000
Flexchange/Instant Exchange

Last edited:

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
From reading other posts on TUG, I think your chances of getting the Hyatt on Maui are low. Also the months you're going for are relatively high season, although early January is less popular than February or March. I probably wouldn't join Interval if that was the only exchange I was looking for.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not join II for HKB. You will not get it. There is no inventory. In other words, "would any Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach Club owners ever trade their unit?" No. They would 1) use it, or 2) rent it out.

You can try for the 3 Westins or 2 Marriotts. But even there, you are asking for the highest demand time of the year, so very low odds.
Marriott owners have priority on the Marriott exchanges.
Vistana owners have priority on the Westin exchanges.
You will only match if a last minute cancellation or late deposit appears.

Try for a week in shoulder season, spring / fall.
Reserve the WM Kihei as your backup.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hyatt owners pay top dollars for winter weeks in Maui. It simply does not make economic sense to deposit in II. Hyatt may deposit but weeks will not be in Jan-Mar. you will be wasting your money to join II for that purpose.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it is true that it doesn't make economic sense for a HRC Maui owner to deposit their unit with II, I think you're giving people a lot more credit for being rational they actually are. The same logic should apply to owners at the Westin and Marriott villas in Maui yet those deposits do show up. I'm not sure I've seen an exchange sighting yet for Hyatt in Maui, but that doesn't mean there haven't been any deposits that were gobbled up by ongoing searches. I would expect, though, that it would be one of the most difficult trades in the timeshare universe especially given the season desired by the original poster.

But yeah - Don't go joining II with any realistic hope of landing HRC Maui.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it is true that it doesn't make economic sense for a HRC Maui owner to deposit their unit with II, I think you're giving people a lot more credit for being rational they actually are. The same logic should apply to owners at the Westin and Marriott villas in Maui yet those deposits do show up. I'm not sure I've seen an exchange sighting yet for Hyatt in Maui, but that doesn't mean there haven't been any deposits that were gobbled up by ongoing searches. I would expect, though, that it would be one of the most difficult trades in the timeshare universe especially given the season desired by the original poster.

But yeah - Don't go joining II with any realistic hope of landing HRC Maui.

HRC owners relinquish their unit to Hyatt and would then be eligible to use their points internally. My guess is the Maui units so relinquished would be taken by other Hyatt owners using the internal system and that Hyatt would not deposit any Maui units to II. Of course stranger things have happened......

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I have been a long time WorldMark owner but have never exchanged my points and would appreciate guidance! We want to exchange our points (we have 12,000 and 10,000 available to borrow) for a week at the Hyatt Maui Residence Club. Should I join Interval Intl and do I have a good chance of getting a week in either Jan, Feb or March of 2019? How many points do we need for a 2 BR?

So...
As the other posters noted, you're unlikely to confirm an exchange for the Maui Hyatt. Especially in January-March or summer. That doesn't mean you shouldn't include it....along with every other nice resort in Maui on any request.

As a fellow Worldmark owner, I have experience exchanging with RCI and II. The Worldmark is a powerful trader.....but it won't override Marriott or Westin/VSE preference.....and it can't exchange for what never gets deposited (like the Hyatt).

Here's what I would recommend.

Price the tickets to Hawaii and look at when you'd like to travel. Truthfully, ticket prices (edit) don't rise that much until the last 90 days or so....YMMV
Consider making a 'backup reservation' to make sure you have somewhere to stay....before paying for non-refundable tickets
Put in waitlists for Worldmark Hawaii properties. This could be your 'backup reservation as well."
Consider airline tickets which can be changed...in case you find the perfect exchange.
Consider buying a ticket to HNL airport...you can always book inter-island tickets later...
Put in a 'request first' with Interval for an exchange you'd like in Hawaii.
  • Include as many weeks as possible (better if more than one....at least multiple check-in days)
  • Include as many resort choices (and islands) as you would enjoy
  • Be flexible--call and maximize your choices options: check-in days, size, location etc...
There are always some good properties that open-up in the last 90 days prior to check-in. Quite a few inside 45 days.
Keep in mind: with Eplus, you can always confirm an 'acceptable' exchange...and then upgrade to something better if it pops up.

Given this plan...I would expect you could match a nice Maui resort....Marriott MOC or ??? within the last 60 days.

It's an option....

On another note: the 'Sightings' of exchange availability (for instant exchange) are posted daily on TUG in the Sightings thread. This is a member's only thread.....consider joining TUG--it's the best $15 you'll ever spend!

cheers.

Last edited:

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Thank you for your thorough response! We went ahead and joined II and deposited our WM points for any week from Jan thru April. We have also been on the WM Kihei waitlist and have had 2 days come through so far, so that’s our backup plan.

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your thorough response! We went ahead and joined II and deposited our WM points for any week from Jan thru April. We have also been on the WM Kihei waitlist and have had 2 days come through so far, so that’s our backup plan.

We are also Worldmark owners & enjoyed a wonderful exchange into a 2 bedroom unit at the Marriott Lahaina & Napili Villas, last summer. It’s a gorgeous property with beautiful rooms and views! I’d definitely stay there again. We stayed at the Worldmark Kihei for 2 nights before our exchange & even though it’s clean and decent, wow, what a difference! The Marriott is just beautiful.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Very nice!

So, as I said.....there are lots of opportunities that will be posted in the "Sightings" thread if you're interested in joining.
The 'sightings' are units that just 'magically' pop-up in the exchange. A few notes:
  • Sightings of good units don't last long. Some times for seconds or minutes. Often, they pop-up, go away, pop-up, go away....on a 20 min cycle or 4 hour cycle etc....
  • These opportunities for 'instant exchange' can be held by fellow tuggers (or yourself) via a simple procedure. Often, Tuggers will post "on hold for 18 mins..." and will release the unit to a tugger that can use the exchange.
  • Instant exchange is easy if you're not rushed. It is impossible to complete quickly if you're not in practice. You must practice.
  • I won't explain here....(it's on the forum or we can repost later) but you should know how to select and secure an exchange...all the way up to the last step where you hit the final accept (or similar) and actually make the exchange. It's critical you can perform this very quickly and skillfully. You only have 18 mins from start to finish.
  • Exchanges can be cancelled within 24 hours via phone. Only during working hours.....think weekends etc...
  • Eplus can be purchased with the OGS search or when you accept the exchange (within 5 days?)
  • Eplus allows for up-to 3 re-exchanges
  • Trading power is locked at the original trade power (Worldmark). Not the property you are e-plus trading
  • Marriott preference is ZERO to 23 days. (24?) Some have it, some don't. Sometimes it drops after a bit....for various reasons. If you see it....it's yours.
  • They may call you (will call you) every 30 days to update the status of your request. They may offer you something that's a 'similar' property.
  • After you accept an exchange....the ongoing search stops. After that, you can only do 'instant exchange' searches. Best results come early in the A.M., between 4am and 7am EST--weekdays YMMV
  • Searches outside of 60 days will exchange at the posted Worldmark exchange rates for II. Inside 60 days (<59), all exchanges--Any size--are just 4000 points.
  • Don't be afraid to let the OGS continue down into the last 3-4 months prior to your vacation time. Best exchanges may be from Thanksgiving till 1st week of January (for your time)

good luck!

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
We are also Worldmark owners & enjoyed a wonderful exchange into a 2 bedroom unit at the Marriott Lahaina & Napili Villas, last summer. It’s a gorgeous property with beautiful rooms and views! I’d definitely stay there again. We stayed at the Worldmark Kihei for 2 nights before our exchange & even though it’s clean and decent, wow, what a difference! The Marriott is just beautiful.

We’ve stayed at the Kihei resort before also and it’s ok but we really wanted something nicer this time. I’ve read mixed reviews on the Marriot so was a little tentative about staying there. Are you guaranteed an ocean view room when you exchange? Was the kitchen big enough?

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
TIP: Worldmark's relationship with II allows for "Confirm First" rather than "Deposit First." I'm hoping you were guided by the II phone reps to use Confirm First ... that is, simply opening an Ongoing Search w/out having to move your credits to the II account?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We’ve stayed at the Kihei resort before also and it’s ok but we really wanted something nicer this time. I’ve read mixed reviews on the Marriot so was a little tentative about staying there. Are you guaranteed an ocean view room when you exchange? Was the kitchen big enough?

Don't expect ocean view. Be very surprised and delighted if you can see the ocean from your room.
If you get a unit that has a full kitchen (MM1), you'll be delighted. It's lovely with Granite and stainless etc... Big enough for what? The grills are the primary method of cooking for us anyway.

Uhmmm......you seem to have a few misconceptions about exchanges. Not being sarcastic or anything, but I'm going to mention some things you may or may not know.....sorry if I talk down--not intentional.

Exchanges are.....well, exactly what they say they are:

An MM1 Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (MOC) Lahaina/Napili Villas 2br/2ba unit......Jan26-Feb2 2019 is just what it says: A two bedroom, two bath unit at the MOC Lahaina/Napili towers on the dates specified. There will be a code associated with the exchange (after you get the confirmation) that describes the specific unit type/view (2 bedroom lock off portion of a 3br, ocean front for example...but in the form of a 4 letter code). Here's the kicker: VIEW is not guaranteed on an exchange. Only the unit description applies. Now, in practice, the nice folks at the MOC might just let you keep your room view category. They have done this for us. But, they could just as easily stick you in the worst island view unit on the property: low floor, nothing but bushes, trees, parking garage etc.... There are NO guarantees...but the size/unit description.

As for the Maui Ocean club (old and new phases): The MOC is a fantastic resort. Is it better than Hyatt or Westin? No. It is similar. Some rooms are better. Some are worse. Some features are better, Some are worse. The 'original phase' MMO code is a converted hotel. A very nice, recently renovated fantastic hotel conversion. A wide variety of unit locations and views etc.... These units do NOT have full kitchens. They have a mini-kitchen and (I think) 2 smaller fridges now; depends on size. (I'd have to look). The new phase (MM1 towers) are purpose-build timeshare units with OV, OF or island/mountain views. The OV/OF units range from breathtaking (upper floors, OF) to very good (MV/OV, lower floors) to not so great (bushes, trees, parking garage). Not horrible mind you....my MV was nice this year. The units are spacious, well appointed and very nice. They are high-use, so there is some wear/tear, but they are frequently updated. MOC is a post-card perfect resort for me.

I am going to make an opinionated statement here: If you are considering 'snubbing' the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, perhaps you should re-consider what you want to exchange for. I certainly understand that you may only want a unit with a full kitchen (which MMO does not have--but does have a common-area gourmet kitchen.....) but the resort and units are very premium and should be a 'great catch' in anybody's book IMO. Again, if you desire a kitchen, then don't select the MMO units. This will seriously limit your exchange options; there are very few Maui 'dedicated timeshare' 3-5* units that hit the exchanges. So, my point: Hyatt, Westin, Marriott (the heavy hitters) will have few availabilities for Whale/Summer time frame if you further eliminate the MMO (no kitchen) units. Further, most studio units have minimal kitchen facilities (Westins have more than most) and are simply...well, a studio. So, if we narrow this search down to 1br or larger....with kitchen... The field just got very narrow.

There are some wonderful resorts on Maui besides the big 3, but these will also have limited availability, may not be directly ocean-front (not the view, the entire resort) and quite a few do not have A/C. Not a huge concern in Jan/Feb, but much more problematic in the warmer months.

So, to sum my opinion/thoughts up:

Your best/most likely exchange (in the higher-end Kaanapali resorts) would be:
  1. MM1/MMO Marriott Maui Ocean club. You could probably match this in the last 90 days. Probably could get 2bdr. MM1 is much harder to snag on instant exchange. YMMV. You would likely get the assigned view category.....so better opportunity for a decent if partially blocked view. An OGS may or may not match this. Tough exchange you know...
  2. Westin: There are still some Nanea and other units occasionally dropping. This may dry up. Two bedroom? Maybe. Very tough. Will definitely be parking lot view if you get one.
  3. Hyatt. Let me know if you get one...it would be the first that I know of; possibly the second, can't remember the story on that one. Bon chance...
  4. Any other Kaanapali resort: Hit and miss. I typically see about 1 week during the last 4-5 months prior to January-Feb. I do see March-April more frequently... anywhere from 1-4 bedrooms. Some are really nice resorts with great locations and lot's of room. Others may be more rustic or less glamorous, but most would consider a 2 br unit in whale season on exchange (especially at 4000 points inside of 59 days) to be a superb catch.
Hope this helps

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Post Script from my 'mega post' above:

If you become a Tug member (best use of $15) you'll have access to the sightings forum--a members-only thread.

I will be monitoring Hawaii closely for the Jan/Feb timeframe (for my own exchange) but will delighted to take sightings requests for that time period....
cheers.

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
As I said in my original post, I’ve never done an exchange and know nothing about how they work. That’s why I came to this forum and you all are teaching me a lot! Thank you for all the info.