• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging into Hawaii resorts with II

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Hi there!

My brother is a Vistana owner and has some deposited weeks in II that he doesn't intend on using so he generously offered them to family members.

II is new to me, as I'm used to using RCI. I really want to exchange into a resort in Maui for next year. My oldest son will be in eleventh grade, so he can't miss any weeks of school.

Towards the end of last year (2019), I set up a search for every school holiday next year (spring, summer, and Christmas 2021). The deposited weeks expire Dec 31st, 2021.

I used the week that I thought would have the best chance, which is Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort (correct me if I'm wrong). His other weeks are at the Sheraton Vistana in Orlando.
I would love to exchange into the Westin on Maui, but I added a few other resorts like Marriott and other Hawaiian islands to increase chances for a match since we're looking for peak times.

My question is how far in advance do people typically start matching with their exchanges for Westin or Marriott? Do they do bulk deposits at certain times of the year?
Do you think there will be less chance of getting an exchange with so many owners unable to use their weeks for this year?

I'm hoping to make a match and not waste his week before it expires.

Thanks so much for the help!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Vistana controls which weeks are deposited into Interval, and they pretty much only deposit fall weeks, and maybe a few in May. You will not find school holiday weeks - Vistana doesn't deposit them. I'm not sure about the demand for next year, because so much depends on what happens with the Coronavirus.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exhaustedmomof3, It certainly doesn't hurt to put your request in for the Maui Westins and Marriott. As rare as matches for summer requests and Easter break requests are, you still have the advantage of trading Vistana-to-Vistana (and Marriott). Also, you were wise to add other islands to your request, as there is probably more availability for the larger units on the other islands. We only needed a 1-BR unit last year, and were matched in Sept. of 2018 for a 1-BR at WKORV (Westin Kaanapali) for mid-July of 2019. We also put in a request for the summer of 2021 early in 2019, so we're hoping for another match for next summer. Good luck to you!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
* If you are open to Kauai, the Westin Princeville is easier to get than the Maui resorts.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
To add what Denise said, I've never seen a bulk deposit of Marriott Hawaii weeks during school vacation periods.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Exhaustedmomof3, It certainly doesn't hurt to put your request in for the Maui Westins and Marriott. As rare as matches for summer requests and Easter break requests are, you still have the advantage of trading Vistana-to-Vistana (and Marriott). Also, you were wise to add other islands to your request, as there is probably more availability for the larger units on the other islands. We only needed a 1-BR unit last year, and were matched in Sept. of 2018 for a 1-BR at WKORV (Westin Kaanapali) for mid-July of 2019. We also put in a request for the summer of 2021 early in 2019, so we're hoping for another match for next summer. Good luck to you!

Thank you for the info! Fingers crossed and good luck to you too!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom Lodge
* If you are open to Kauai, the Westin Princeville is easier to get than the Maui resorts.

Thank you! I have put this on my list. I basically listed all Westin and Marriott resorts anywhere in Hawaii. I'm hoping something will come through!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom Lodge
To add what Denise said, I've never seen a bulk deposit of Marriott Hawaii weeks during school vacation periods.

If I change or add dates to the ongoing search, will this push me back in the queue, or will I retain my original place for the ongoing search?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I change or add dates to the ongoing search, will this push me back in the queue, or will I retain my original place for the ongoing search?
I have always found that making a change does not seem to push me back in the queue, but others may have had a different experience. However, I usually try to make my requests 18-24 months in advance of my desired check-in dates. CJ

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although it is not the same level as the Westins and Marriotts, we have stayed at Kaanapali Beach Club before and really enjoyed it. It was originally an Embassy suites vacation club (hilton should not have let it go). I think most inventory is 1BR units but there are some 2br.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Although it is not the same level as the Westins and Marriotts, we have stayed at Kaanapali Beach Club before and really enjoyed it. It was originally an Embassy suites vacation club (hilton should not have let it go). I think most inventory is 1BR units but there are some 2br.
Thanks for the info! I'll add it to my search :)