• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging bonus points for AA certificates

Sunmuffin

Reaction score
Over the weekend I purchased 3,400 HGVC points from the developer. Let's just ignore the stupidity factor there, OK? I'm already aware. What "sold" me, though, was the 16,000 bonus points. My sales magician told me that it takes 1,000 points for a r/t domestic flight (including Hawaii) and 2,000 points for a r/t international flight. We own a home on Maui and air is expensive. We want to take our daughter to Europe next summer and that's expensive. So my thought was that my $12,000 purchase price would be made back easily by using bonus points for pricey airline tickets. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Here's the thing, though... I can't get into the HGVC site yet, so all I can see is a chart of exchange values that says in tiny print at the bottom it's from 2006. What I need to know is, how does that whole "exchanging bonus points for AA certificates" really work? Today, not in 2006! All details welcome and appreciated. And quickly, please, because I still have a few days to rescind - which I will do if I'm not going to get good value with these plane tickets!

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know this was available. The best use of HGVC points is always to stay in a timeshare (HGVC or RCi exchange) and not for HHonors. I would assume the same goes for AA.

From HGVCclub.com

One round trip coach certificate within the continental US or Canada
From 3,220 Bonus Points

One round trip coach certificate from the continental US or Canada to
Hawaii From 5,820 Bonus Points

One round trip coach certificate from California or Nevada to Hawaii
From 4,020 Bonus Points

Mexico or the Caribbean From 4,630 Bonus Points

Europe From 7,220 Bonus Points

Central America From 4,820 Bonus Points

One round trip first-class certificate from the continental US or Canada to
Hawaii From 11,580 Bonus Points

RECIND!!!!!!!! At best you could get two tickets in low season to Europe, which is not worth the $12,000. After a few years, you will find that 3400 points is not enough. You can only stay in Gold season in a 1BR.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I didn't even know this was available. The best use of HGVC points is always to stay in a timeshare (HGVC or RCi exchange) and not for HHonors. I would assume the same goes for AA.

From HGVCclub.com

One round trip coach certificate within the continental US or Canada
From 3,220 Bonus Points

Hawaii From 5,820 Bonus Points

One round trip coach certificate from California or Nevada to Hawaii
From 4,020 Bonus Points

Mexico or the Caribbean From 4,630 Bonus Points

Europe From 7,220 Bonus Points

Central America From 4,820 Bonus Points

One round trip first-class certificate from the continental US or Canada to
Hawaii From 11,580 Bonus Points

RECIND!!!!!!!! At best you could get two tickets in low season to Europe, which is not worth the $12,000. After a few years, you will find that 3400 points is not enough. You can only stay in Gold season in a 1BR.
Ditto on the RECIND! The points listed are the minimum points needed for the airfare. You will almost positively need a much higher level of points to get a ticket in the timeframe / routing that would be acceptable.

The salesman lied (or severely stretched the truth, if you want to be nice). Rescind now while you still can and save yourself thousands of $$$!

Kurt

Sunmuffin

Reaction score
Update...

Today I called the department that would actually book these plane tickets for me and was told that I'd get 10 cents of value per bonus point, so if the airfare to Paris is $1500 I'd have enough for one round ticket and 1,000 bonus points left over. Obviously, that's not worth the extra paid by purchasing from the developer - nor is it anywhere near what the sales guy told me. I also called the location where I actually own these points and their members services person told me the same thing and suggested I call the Quality Assurance Manager. In the meantime, I've been texting with the sales person who swears to me that he's right on the money with the plane tickets. Says he's been selling a few units a week for three years and knows his stuff (to which I say, "then why are you sending me an air chart that has misprints and is from 2006?") He's supposed to be sending me a new chart this evening. Had to leave a voice message for Quality Assurance Mgr. No return call yet. Planning on putting the rescinsion letter in th email tomorrow if I don't get something in writing from BOTH of them by noon tomorrow. If I can get $8,000+ in airfare out of the $12,000+ cost then it's obviously worth it to stay - but I jusut can't see how they can afford to do that (and they can't seem to be able to prove it).

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
RESCIND NOW... in writing, exactly as specified in the contract (even if there's a better way)..

But foremost... Stop talking to this sales-cretin!
How do you know a TS salesman is lying?... His lips are moving.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Talent312. The salesperson is just trying to string you along until your recission period is past. Then you're gonna be totally on your own. Ignore him! Just rescind now!

-Bob

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If I can get $8,000+ in airfare out of the $12,000+ cost then it's obviously worth it to stay
It still would not be a good deal. You would be paying $4000 for a 3400 point (1BR in Gold season) week. You can get that for way less resale.

Plus, most people find that they need more than 3400 points to make a HGVC membership useful (of course, there are exceptions).

Kurt

Sunmuffin

Reaction score
Letter to Rescind going out tomorrow

My sales guy emailed me his "proof" that I'd get the air tickets he said. It was a page from the 2012 owners' manual which talked about 2500 bonus points being worth $2500 in air credit through Meridian. I knew from talking with someone else today, though, that Meridian is no longer in the picture. I also found the corresponding paragraph in the 2013 manual that said 2000 points for $200 in air credit. Big difference! When I called him out on using outdated information he did a 180 and stopped trying to sell me. He still maintained that he has recent buyers getting the tickets he said they were (trying to save face, I guess), but he actually suggested that I cancel because he "wants me to be happy with my purchase."

I'll be writing and mailing my letter tomorrow. So sad that it didn't work out... I'd already told my daughter about the great vacation to France I was taking her on next summer. Guess I can use the money I'm saving to do that, though, huh? :( Thanks, everyone, for all your input. I appreciate it!