• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchange question? [Starwood]

thewhitehouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I presently do not have a membership in any exchange company and do not know much about any of them. We own at SVR Cascades L/O (resale) and have always vacationed there. However my wife has requested that we try exchanging our unit for another next year, explore our options.
So here is my question: in II, is there a way to look for potential exchanges should I want to split my units. For example can I see what "A" side would exchange for and what "B" would exchange for? Then run an inquiry as to what the unit would exchange as a whole. I would like to be able to do that before actually making a deposit, if that possible. I pretty sure that I would need to enroll in II defore doing this.
Is it possible that I may be able to see a 2BR unit available for each of my halves? We are pretty flexible on our locations just as long as we are within a reasonable driving distance from home, Savannah, Ga.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Randy

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, you can look at the locked off sides or the whole unit. If you bought from the developer, you should already have an II account set up. If you did not, you will need to call them and purchase an account.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Once you join II, if you own a lock off you can do a manual search with each side and with the unit as a whole. You can only set up an ongoing search with one side and/or the other or the unit as a whole.

If you can travel during off season or shoulder season you should be able to get two 2 bedroom units with your lock off.

thewhitehouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I joined II

I took the plunge and joined II. I asked and they gave me a 2 for one subscription. Now they tell me I have to wait for my unit to show up, validate it. How long does that generally take? I also see that they only have a designation for a 2BR not a lockoff, will that be something that will show up later?
Thanks again.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are looking to exchange your 2016 week, you will have to prepay your 2016 MF before you can make an exchange or start an ongoing search. Since it is getting close to the time when they are due it shouldn't be a big deal. It will probably take 3-14 days for starwood to validate that you own the unit for the account. I don't remember how my lock off appeared before the account was fully validated. You may want to call up II and confirm that they put in the unit as a lock off.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Randy - It would be helpful for you to read the Starwood and II FAQ at the top of the forum. Click on Starwood FAQ's at the top of the page.

thewhitehouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Denise,
I plan to do just that and bunch of it, I have just about succumb to the fact that 2016 maybe lost as far as getting a good trade. Yet I still have much to learn about exchanging and all the nuances that go with it. I'm going to use this first year as a big learning curve to learn all I can about it.
Its now at the point of wait and see when my unit will be validated by II and exactly what they record.
Thanks again.
Randy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Randy - you have 2+ years to use the deposit, so it's not lost at all. There is no reason not to try for an exchange, since you can use the deposit in 2017, if necessary.

Be sure you put in a Ongoing Search - what you see online is the LEFTOVERS, after all OGS are filled.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took the plunge and joined II. I asked and they gave me a 2 for one subscription. Now they tell me I have to wait for my unit to show up, validate it. How long does that generally take? I also see that they only have a designation for a 2BR not a lockoff, will that be something that will show up later?
Thanks again.

You should see three entries, one is the whole unit and the other two are each side of the lockoff (A and B)

If you try to use the whole unit entry, it should ask which part (all, side A, or side B) you want to use.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should see three entries, one is the whole unit and the other two are each side of the lockoff (A and B)

If you try to use the whole unit entry, it should ask which part (all, side A, or side B) you want to use.

He only sees the 2 bdm. - because he is only seeing what timeshare he has registered with II, not what is deposited.

Once the deposit is complete, he should see all 3 options.

thewhitehouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not yet

As of right now I don't have anything in II. I was told by the lady on the phone that II has to verify or validate what I own before it will show in my account. My concern is that she said that they only have 2br listed. I'm curious to see what will actually be posted.
I was also told that it will take approximately 2-3 days for my account to reflect this. We will see.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As of right now I don't have anything in II. I was told by the lady on the phone that II has to verify or validate what I own before it will show in my account. My concern is that she said that they only have 2br listed. I'm curious to see what will actually be posted.
I was also told that it will take approximately 2-3 days for my account to reflect this. We will see.

There are 2 completely different steps with II:

1) REGISTER your timeshare with II

2) DEPOSIT your timeshare with II

If you currently can see a 2 Bdm., that is what is REGISTERED, but you don't have a deposit, yet.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
He only sees the 2 bdm. - because he is only seeing what timeshare he has registered with II, not what is deposited.

Once the deposit is complete, he should see all 3 options.

Hmm I always see all possible combinations of my units, and nothing is deposited with II.

Is that a side effect of SVO verifying what I own with II?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm I always see all possible combinations of my units, and nothing is deposited with II.

Is that a side effect of SVO verifying what I own with II?

Same here.

I think this will be corrected once the unit is verified.

thewhitehouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Units showing now

I received an email notice that my units were verified.
It now reflects 2Bed (lock-off capable), 1BEDA, and 1BEDB. Usage 2015 and 2016. So I see six possible unit configurations for exchange. Funny though I have already used my 2015 year.
Now I just need to figure this stuff out.
I have to commend Interval they were pretty quick in validating my unit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I received an email notice that my units were verified.
It now reflects 2Bed (lock-off capable), 1BEDA, and 1BEDB. Usage 2015 and 2016. So I see six possible unit configurations for exchange. Funny though I have already used my 2015 year.
Now I just need to figure this stuff out.
I have to commend Interval they were pretty quick in validating my unit.

Be sure you read the FAQ at the top of the forum, because this is addressed there.

II does not know what you do with your timeshare in any given year, so your timeshare will always show as available, even if it isn't.

If, however, you tried to use an unavailable week for exchange, it would not go through, because Starwood would not approve it.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you cannot trust Starwood phone reservations people. But, I have been told that if you select a unit that is not available for an II reside, Starwood will contact you to select a different unit that is available to complete the reservation. Of course, assuming an eligible unit is available.