• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchange Into Frenchman's Cove in January

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like your opinions. I'll have a 2 bedroom Shadow Ridge Enclaves Deluxe unit as well as a Master Suite Enclaves and a Deluxe Lockoff to use for trades. All units will be reserved for prime season 2013 (assuming I get the reservations I want). Do you think any of these could pull a 3 bedroom at Frenchman's Cove for the second week of January 2013?

Thanks!

Last edited:

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your problem will be you cannot make an ongoing request for a unit larger than the one you are using for the exchange and you will be assigned the first unit available which will more than likely be a 2 B/R. I can't believe you will just see a 3 B/R sitting there online.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your problem will be you cannot make an ongoing request for a unit larger than the one you are using for the exchange and you will be assigned the first unit available which will more than likely be a 2 B/R. I can't believe you will just see a 3 B/R sitting there online.

I won't be making a deposit and waiting to see what pops up online. When I secure my reservations, I will call the Marriott II desk to make my request. This strategy worked for me in 2011. I called Marriott II desk in July 2011 and got an immediate exchange for a January 2012, 3 bedroom Grande Vista using a January 2012 1 bedroom Shadow Ridge Enclaves. I'm hoping my luck continues.

Thanks.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The issue is that you were lucky that a 3BR MGV week happened to be available when you called. Could it happen again- sure- but are you likely to call at the moment a 3BR Frenchman's Cove week is available? Likely the only way you'll get that is to be searching online constantly, and even then it will take a lot of luck. Since you are using a 2BR you cannot place an on-going request for the 3BR.

Maybe an alternative plan would be to try to get two 2BR's.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista and Frenchman's Cove are not even on the same playing field. Grande Vista is a very easy trade, even a three bedroom whereas I hardly ever see Frenchman Cove weeks, let alone 3 bedroom's just sitting there in II. If you want a 3 bedroom, especially for a specific week, the best thing to do is rent your own weeks and then rent the week you want from redweek. It took me a while to unerstand this, but the rental market is a very good indicator of what your week should be able to trade for. You might need to rent all of your weeks (if you can) and then pay cash for the week you want at Frenchman's. I wouldn't plan on getting one via II -- but then again, I have never tried for that resort.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions. I do realize it's probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of owner's usage at Frenchman's Cove. Do they typically use the unit, exchange, or rent out? 2 of the 3 give me a shot at going when I want (it's the highest demand time).

I hadn't thought of trying for 2 - 2 bedroom units using 2 - 1 bedrooms. I'm not crazy about having to use 2 units, but it is an option. Thanks.

My family really enjoyed our time at Grande Vista. Next winter break will most likely be the last time we can all plan to be in the same place at the same time. They wanted some place warm, 3 bedrooms, and a short plane ride. The Caribbean fits the bill. Just have to see if it will work, that is, assuming my sister finally understands the concept of planning ahead when reserving a timeshare. :) We may very well end up in Orlando again.

Thanks again!

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions. I do realize it's probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of owner's usage at Frenchman's Cove. Do they typically use the unit, exchange, or rent out? 2 of the 3 give me a shot at going when I want (it's the highest demand time).

The last time I spoke to a sales rep at MFC(2yrs ago)he told me the resort was 95% owner occupied. I spoke to a rep at the Marriott desk at II recentley and was told MFC weeks were hard to come by in II. That being said I've read posts from people on TUG that traded into MFC through II so I'm really not sure how difficult it is.

dundeeyank

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MFC owners use them alot

Part of the reason is that the "Cove" is only a few years old and those of us who own still enjoy using our weeks. I am about to go and use 2 of my weeks for the 4th year in a row. I am trading weeks in 2013 and a bit of 12 to do an African safari on Club points. but will be returning to StThomas in 14. As noted above 3BR are rare. The only 3BR villas are on the ends of each building. Maybe only 20+ in the whole resort. The Cove is small compared to many other Marriott resorts. Best of luck and the Rental possibility might be a good angle but in early Jan you will be paying premium $$$.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time I spoke to a sales rep at MFC(2yrs ago)he told me the resort was 95% owner occupied. I spoke to a rep at the Marriott desk at II recentley and was told MFC weeks were hard to come by in II. That being said I've read posts from people on TUG that traded into MFC through II so I'm really not sure how difficult it is.

Part of the reason is that the "Cove" is only a few years old and those of us who own still enjoy using our weeks. I am about to go and use 2 of my weeks for the 4th year in a row. I am trading weeks in 2013 and a bit of 12 to do an African safari on Club points. but will be returning to StThomas in 14. As noted above 3BR are rare. The only 3BR villas are on the ends of each building. Maybe only 20+ in the whole resort. The Cove is small compared to many other Marriott resorts. Best of luck and the Rental possibility might be a good angle but in early Jan you will be paying premium $$$.

My thanks to both of you for your owner insight. I know the week I desire is a high demand week, but knowing that week is most likely owner occupied will help keep my expectations for an exchange (and my sister's) realistic. :)

What can we expect to pay if we want to rent a 3 bedroom in January?

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek will have this answer, but I would think somewhere around 4k, maybe a bit less. Another avenue is myresortnetwork.com, but redweek has many more listings.

My thanks to both of you for your owner insight. I know the week I desire is a high demand week, but knowing that week is most likely owner occupied will help keep my expectations for an exchange (and my sister's) realistic. :)

What can we expect to pay if we want to rent a 3 bedroom in January?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dundeeyank; I see your intentions of doing an African Safari on Club Points.

How many points does the Safari require, and how many days does it last?

Thanks for providing the information!

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I just tried to book online for jan 2013 using points, but it wouldn't allow me. I am sure it is less than 12 months..I think frenchmans cove looks great. I will call member svcs in am.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek will have this answer, but I would think somewhere around 4k, maybe a bit less. Another avenue is myresortnetwork.com, but redweek has many more listings.

Thank you for the slap upside my head. I realized a bit after my post that I knew where to look for the info. :doh:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried to book online for jan 2013 using points, but it wouldn't allow me. I am sure it is less than 12 months..I think frenchmans cove looks great. I will call member svcs in am.

Are you trying to book with Marriott Reward points or Destination Club points?

Looking forward to your reply.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not at all. I didn't know if you even knew about redweek. I get lost in my own posts all the time, especially my longer notes. I'm forever needing to edit my own posts beacause I leave out something important or I realize I didn't ask my question well enough.

Thank you for the slap upside my head. I realized a bit after my post that I knew where to look for the info. :doh:

dundeeyank

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Africa

Dundeeyank; I see your intentions of doing an African Safari on Club Points.

How many points does the Safari require, and how many days does it last?

Thanks for providing the information!

The African Safari ranges from 22000 to 25000.. We are going in April for the lower amount. We are using parts of three years club points to make the trip. all of my 2013 weeks one of my 2012 weeks and one of my 2014 weeks.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

The African Safari ranges from 22000 to 25000.. We are going in April for the lower amount. We are using parts of three years club points to make the trip. all of my 2013 weeks one of my 2012 weeks and one of my 2014 weeks.

Dundee,

I was extremely interested in this package until I read the reviews of Collette tours. I suggest you check them out before going.

dundeeyank

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
checking

Dundee,

I was extremely interested in this package until I read the reviews of Collette tours. I suggest you check them out before going.

Spent some time online with Marriott vacations expressing my concerns. I asked for feedback from owners who went on the trip... we'll see. I'll keep you informed through this thread.