• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchange Diamond resort for Grand Mayan Vidanta

dburnet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
We are deeded owners at a Diamond resort timeshare in Maui, we booked an exchange a week at the Grand Mayan in Vidanta, I'm told we are a level 6
my question is what are the resort fees at the Grand Mayan when you check in, can you get out of the high pressure timeshare presentation and if you don't go do you end up with a crappy room.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are deeded owners at a Diamond resort timeshare in Maui, we booked an exchange a week at the Grand Mayan in Vidanta, I'm told we are a level 6
my question is what are the resort fees at the Grand Mayan when you check in, can you get out of the high pressure timeshare presentation and if you don't go do you end up with a crappy room.

info needed to determine Vidanta resort fee :
1) - what exchange company
2)- which Vidanta property with a Grand Mayan
[NV-RM-Cabo-Acapulco- Puerto Penasco]
3) what size unit.

To answer question two
1) SAY NO thank you .
2)There are not really any crappy rooms .
3) Once you have gone to the room - after pleasantly& graciously declining
the presentation - you can always change your mind and negotiate.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If this is through DEX. You will have to ask Diamond and try to get the answer in writing; I would also get the agent to double check with a supervisor. With RCI and II the resort fee is in the $400-600 range for a 1 BR and $700-$900 for a 2 BR. SFX charges $75. No one has reported using DEX so it could be $0 or it could be a lot more.

dburnet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
info needed to determine Vidanta resort fee :
1) - what exchange company
2)- which Vidanta property with a Grand Mayan
[NV-RM-Cabo-Acapulco- Puerto Penasco]
3) what size unit.

To answer question two
1) SAY NO thank you .
2)There are not really any crappy rooms .
3) Once you have gone to the room - after pleasantly& graciously declining
the presentation - you can always change your mind and negotiate.

The exchange company is Diamond Resorts
the Vidanta is in Puerto Vallarta
1 bedroom suite
Thank you

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome @dburnet
You will have to ask Diamond, as no one here has reported an exchange via DEX.
If you can search DEX online and find the Grand Mayan at whichever location interests you, then see if there is information on the Resort Fee before you confirm/pay any money. If you don't see it, call or write DEX.
The Vidanta resorts have one goal - to separate you from your money. When you arrive, you must say "no, thank you", over and over. When they ask Why? you must say "no reason". They have a counter-argument for every reason, so don't give them a reason.

II/RCI exchanges have the same resort fees. They are clearly stated as you go through the confirmation process, before you pay. They are based on the unit size. They are lower at Riviera Maya than at Nuevo Vallarta.

I just reread your post, and saw that you've already booked the Exchange. And you didn't see any resort fees when you confirmed? Call Immediately!
Which resort?

Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico
(You fly into Puerto Vallarta, but the town of Nuevo Vallarta is about 20 minutes north.)

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The exchange company is Diamond Resorts
the Vidanta is in Puerto Vallarta
1 bedroom suite
Thank you
Unless it is listed when you click to book who knows; no one here has used DEX (Diamond) to exchange in. You will need to call and see my post above. Just because an agent tells you there is no fee doesn't mean when you arrive you won't be hit with one. Double check with a supervisor and try to get the answer in writing.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is what II shows for Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta:

Fee Advisements
REQUIRED SURCHARGES (energy, accommodations/occupancy tax, bed tax, fees or other miscellaneous) ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OCCUPANT AND ARE PAYABLE DIRECTLY TO THE RESORT. Surcharges are subject to change without notice. * Onsite COVID-19 testing available for a fee.

Confirmations made on or after July 10, 2020:
0BED: USD250.
1BED: USD 600.
2BED: USD 950.
Resort fee per unit/per week.
Resort fee includes: One way transfer for international flights from airport to resort. Welcome cocktail, newspaper, access to gym, maid service, santuario cover, internal transportation and Wi - Fi.
Confirmations made on or before July 9, 2020:
0BED: USD252.
1BED: USD378.
2BED/LARGER UNITS: USD 630.
Resort fee per unit/per week.
Resort fee includes: One way transfer to resort. Welcome cocktail, newspaper, access to gym, maid service, santuario cover, internal transportation and Wi -Fi.

To schedule airport transfer to resort. https://shuttleservices.vidanta.com The following information must be provided within five days before check-in: confirmation number, name of the resort and flight information.
Valet parking: MXN 390 weekly/per car.
You are responsible for imposed utility/energy surcharges, occupancy or similar taxes, service charges, telephone connection fees, long distance phone charges, personal charges, and applicable amenities usage, housekeeping or resort fees.

Resort parking is typically limited to one car per unit. A parking fee may be charged. Some resorts may have no on-site parking, requiring the use of an alternate off-site facility at an additional fee. Prior arrangements must be made for parking trailers, boats, motorcycles or any type of recreational vehicle (usually at an off-site location).

dburnet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
If this is through DEX. You will have to ask Diamond and try to get the answer in writing; I would also get the agent to double check with a supervisor. With RCI and II the resort fee is in the $400-600 range for a 1 BR and $700-$900 for a 2 BR. SFX charges $75. No one has reported using DEX so it could be $0 or it could be a lot more.
Thank you

gdstuart

TUG Member
Reaction score
A warning for those of you interested in these resorts...

We stayed at the Mayan Palace resort about fifteen years ago and it was an absolute delight. Great food and drinks, BIG campus so you have to time the shuttles or enjoy walking (we do), great variety of pools, one with a sand beach built right in (perfect for toddlers). I just was looking on II last night because we have a couple bonus certificates to burn, and I saw MASSIVE availability here. 2BR units nearly every week in September, October, November...but that's often a bad sign, and when I dug deeper I confirmed that fear.

Some time ago these Vidanta resorts jumped on the Resort Fee bandwagon in a big way. When you book a week, and advance through the screens on II, you will have to be attentive to the (VERY) small print in the conditions. That 2BR unit, had I accepted the exchange, would have cost me $329 for the redemption fee, which I expected, but also $700 for the week in resort fees. Another dagger to the heart of the timeshare racket! Ask your sales rep to add these fees into his/her presentation and see how it wrecks the already-bogus economics.

Yes, I would get a free airport transfer, and in Cancun that's really valuable (but not $700 valuable). All the other stuff they throw in is inconsequential and used to cost $0 "back in the day" when this place was a beautiful option AND a good value when you could score a week. Pandemic or no pandemic, these Palace resorts, and their related Bliss resorts also (700-850 a week for the 2BR units), will welcome you with one outstretched hand while shamelessly picking your pocket with the other.

That said, @dburnet, I would strongly encourage you to attend the presentation. Just treat it like Stand-Up Night at the Comedy Club and DO NOT give them any info to check your credit. Just flat-out refuse. You don't want to pay for this entertainment with a hard Experian lookup. This is what you'll see when you look around the gigantic room where the presentations take place: a bunch of wide-eyed suckers being hoodwinked, laughing at the presenter's jokes, all exhibiting that joyous "I Got A Deal" look on their faces. I nearly got into a shoving match (it was a shouting match by that point) when I was shooting holes in the economics presented by the guy assigned to fleece me. They are the best in the business, and it's actually entertaining to watch them at their craft. I will forfeit 90 minutes any day for a free steak dinner and to enjoy this performance. Oh, and when your watch bings at the 91st minute, you just stand up and extend your elbow and say, "Time's up! Where do I claim my bonus gift?"

Have a great time if you go.

Geoff

rmelo99

TUG Member
Reaction score
A warning for those of you interested in these resorts...

We stayed at the Mayan Palace resort about fifteen years ago and it was an absolute delight. Great food and drinks, BIG campus so you have to time the shuttles or enjoy walking (we do), great variety of pools, one with a sand beach built right in (perfect for toddlers). I just was looking on II last night because we have a couple bonus certificates to burn, and I saw MASSIVE availability here. 2BR units nearly every week in September, October, November...but that's often a bad sign, and when I dug deeper I confirmed that fear.

Some time ago these Vidanta resorts jumped on the Resort Fee bandwagon in a big way. When you book a week, and advance through the screens on II, you will have to be attentive to the (VERY) small print in the conditions. That 2BR unit, had I accepted the exchange, would have cost me $329 for the redemption fee, which I expected, but also $700 for the week in resort fees. Another dagger to the heart of the timeshare racket! Ask your sales rep to add these fees into his/her presentation and see how it wrecks the already-bogus economics.

Yes, I would get a free airport transfer, and in Cancun that's really valuable (but not $700 valuable). All the other stuff they throw in is inconsequential and used to cost $0 "back in the day" when this place was a beautiful option AND a good value when you could score a week. Pandemic or no pandemic, these Palace resorts, and their related Bliss resorts also (700-850 a week for the 2BR units), will welcome you with one outstretched hand while shamelessly picking your pocket with the other.

That said, @dburnet, I would strongly encourage you to attend the presentation. Just treat it like Stand-Up Night at the Comedy Club and DO NOT give them any info to check your credit. Just flat-out refuse. You don't want to pay for this entertainment with a hard Experian lookup. This is what you'll see when you look around the gigantic room where the presentations take place: a bunch of wide-eyed suckers being hoodwinked, laughing at the presenter's jokes, all exhibiting that joyous "I Got A Deal" look on their faces. I nearly got into a shoving match (it was a shouting match by that point) when I was shooting holes in the economics presented by the guy assigned to fleece me. They are the best in the business, and it's actually entertaining to watch them at their craft. I will forfeit 90 minutes any day for a free steak dinner and to enjoy this performance. Oh, and when your watch bings at the 91st minute, you just stand up and extend your elbow and say, "Time's up! Where do I claim my bonus gift?"

Have a great time if you go.

Geoff
I’m at Vidanta now and have accepted their resort fees as part of the cost of going here. You will usually be able to get about 1/2 back from attending the presentation plus breakfast and some other things. We used an II certificate to get us a 2bed at the GB. The service and resort is excellent. No complaints. Be firm and don’t buy anything in the 3-4 gauntlets of the presentation and don’t give them more than the 90 mins and your good to go