• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchange companies

jmasjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been timeshare owners for over 20 years and members of Interval International for the same period. In the past we have had exchanges to many interesting resorts around the world.
However, in the last 2 to 3 years, the exchanges available are always the same and very limited, no matter in which part of the world. It woukld appear that Interval is no longer in the Exchange busines but rather in the hotel business, as eveidenced by the many, many more units available under their "Getaway" program.
Can anybody suggest another exchange organization that actually does conduct their business as such.
Our annual MFs and Tax are due shortly and We would like to sign up with another organistaional which would give us more choice.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't belong to II or RCI anymore, but what I did is set up the free accounts with the ALL the independent exchange companies and do my searching on their sites BEFORE making my deposit.

I do not exchange a lot and most of the independents have limited inventory, but by using All of them with FREE memberships it gives me enough of a selection for our needs, without the membership fees and they have lower exchange fees as well. I like not having to give them my week first in case they do not have anything I want I have other options, such as renting it. etc.

I use VRI*ety (one of my resorts is affiliated with them), DAE, Trading Places International, Platinum Interchange, RTX.

There is also SFX (you have to deposit first), HTE and a few others.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I use Dial an Exchange but you don't get anywhere near the choices you get with II or RCI.

It is free to join so there is no risk and if you decide to deposit first you have three years to use the exchange.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
We have been timeshare owners for over 20 years and members of Interval International for the same period. In the past we have had exchanges to many interesting resorts around the world.
However, in the last 2 to 3 years, the exchanges available are always the same and very limited, no matter in which part of the world.

Our annual MFs and Tax are due shortly and We would like to sign up with another organistaional which would give us more choice.

Others have givwn you good advice about some of the independent companies. You can also do direct exchanges with other TUG members.

But I'm actually very happy with II and continue to get great trades with them, mostly with OGS but also sometimes I luck out and see something online. It would be helpful if we knew where you want to travel and what you have to trade with.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't exchange any more at all, having pared down our ownerships to places and weeks that we (or other family members) plan and fully intend to use ourselves.
If going elsewhere, we now simply rent --- which is usually quite easy and reasonable, comparatively speaking. To us (...YMMV, of course), "owning to exchange" has become a too uncertain and overly expensive fool's errand in recent years, although I will readily acknowledge that there are many people clearly willing to apply much more time and patience (and expense) to playing the "exchange game". Some are clearly quite successful and some even appear to enjoy the "hunt"; to each their own.

My intended point here is that in addition to unpredictable changes within the assorted exchange companies, I think that assorted new Internet avenues outside of the exchange companies and their ever-changing rules, caste system tiered memberships, rising costs and decreasing inventory of high quality weeks has perceptibly changed the whole "exchange game" considerably over the years, regardless of the particular individual exchange company involved.

For example, while we used to exchange owned week(s) that we could not use, today I would never even consider the uncertainty of "depositing for exchange", merely "hoping" to (...maybe) acquire a suitable exchange at some unknown and unpredictable future point in time. Any week of ours not used now simply gets rented out instead --- very easily and at a small "profit" over maintenance fees.

In short, we're done with exchanging and will now just rent exactly where and exactly when we want to go when we can and choose to do so, permanently foregoing the time consumption, uncertainty and expense of playing the (tilted, non-level playing field) "exchange game" with any of the various exchange companies.

As always, YMMV and to each his / her / their own.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We have an RCI account and use it frequently for extra vacations. But it would not be worthwhile if we used it purely for exchange.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you set up ongoing searches in II? I've had more luck with II than with any other exchange company. I use both the ongoing search and the manual search.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
There aren't any good exchanges left because TUG members already got all the great ones.

Exchanging still works great, as long as you play the game right. You have to know which exchange companies have what inventory. You have to know when to search. You have to be diligent about it. You have to have backup plans. You have to have efficient traders. You have to know which timeshares and which units are worth exchanging into.

I've had probably 100 exchanges since I started, and many have been truly incredible. More than a dozen nice 2BR exchanges in Hawaii. A couple dozen 2BR DVC exchanges. And so much more. And my net cost (exchange fee, MF of the unit I exchanged, and other fees) is usually 20-50% of what owners at those resorts would have paid in MFs. That means my vacations would have cost 2-5 times as much if I had owned where I stayed.

I'm sure I'm one of the most extreme examples of getting value out of exchanges, but it CAN be done.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what it's all about in my opinion. As said, knowledge and diligence are key.

There aren't any good exchanges left because TUG members already got all the great ones.

Exchanging still works great, as long as you play the game right. You have to know which exchange companies have what inventory. You have to know when to search. You have to be diligent about it. You have to have backup plans. You have to have efficient traders. You have to know which timeshares and which units are worth exchanging into.

I'm sure I'm one of the most extreme examples of getting value out of exchanges, but it CAN be done.

I've been a member of RCI for 30+ years. Even before TUG, I was working it and being diligent (can you say OCD?).

I've never felt that I've ever had to settle. But I'm not a casual exchanger either. I put real effort into it.

I know there's a whole wide world of other exchange opportunities out there within the other exchange systems, but I haven't found the need to go other routes.

The only limitation for me is that I only have a certain number of weeks per year that I can travel. :wave: