• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Every Other Year StarOptions Banking

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Divide your yearly MF by your yearly SOs. If it's over about $0.02 per StarOption, you can probably do better. That's my opinion if you're just looking to maximize your SOs for use in-network.

Since high-season (plat+) weeks have more SOs attached at the same unit size for the same MFs, that's generally where you want to be looking.

Thank you for sharing the ballpark rule of thumb for the ratio of MF and SOs. I'm looking at buying resale and this helps.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
@dioxide45 Semi Related Question, Im looking at SVV Platinum EOYO Starting in 2023 worth 81000 SO. If I wanted to travel in 2022 on those options, can I pay the MF in advance and spend the Options in 2022? is there a date Im allowed to do that, similar to a deadline for banking them?

Last edited:

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
@dioxide45 Semi Related Question, Im looking at SVV Platinum EOYO Starting in 2023 worth 81000 SO. If I wanted to travel in 2022 on those options, can I pay the MF in advance and spend the Options in 2022? is there a date Im allowed to do that, similar to a deadline for banking them?
I don't think that is allowed. I believe that you can only borrow from an odd year to an odd year. On the other hand if you were to bank your 2023 points, you could then use them in 2024.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think that is allowed. I believe that you can only borrow from an odd year to an odd year. On the other hand if you were to bank your 2023 points, you could then use them in 2024.
Correct, when borrowing StarOptions you can only borrow in to the same even or odd year of your ownership. So 2023 StarOptions can only be borrowed into 2021 by paying the 2022 and 2023 MF in advance.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Correct, when borrowing StarOptions you can only borrow in to the same even or odd year of your ownership. So 2023 StarOptions can only be borrowed into 2021 by paying the 2022 and 2023 MF in advance.
Great help! Thank you

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
How early can you bank with Interval?

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Divide your yearly MF by your yearly SOs. If it's over about $0.02 per StarOption, you can probably do better. That's my opinion if you're just looking to maximize your SOs for use in-network.

Since high-season (plat+) weeks have more SOs attached at the same unit size for the same MFs, that's generally where you want to be looking.
@dioxide45 Mind if I capture an opinion. I have a deal lined up for SVV (Bella) 2br LO Platinum. $1500 + closing. 900 MF. 95,700 SO. Putting me at $0.018 MF/SO.

thoughts? I think it’s very very close I may do it.

much appreciated.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
@dioxide45 Mind if I capture an opinion. I have a deal lined up for SVV (Bella) 2br LO Platinum. $1500 + closing. 900 MF. 95,700 SO. Putting me at $0.018 MF/SO.

thoughts? I think it’s very very close I may do it.

much appreciated.
The 2BR LO units aren't the best MF to StarOption ratio. The dedicated 2BR is better. However, the LO gives you the option of locking off and deposing half with II and still using StarOptions for the other half in VSN. It depends on how you want to use it,

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
The 2BR LO units aren't the best MF to StarOption ratio. The dedicated 2BR is better. However, the LO gives you the option of locking off and deposing half with II and still using StarOptions for the other half in VSN. It depends on how you want to use it,
@dioxide45 Noted. Thank you. Last question for you. If the Points Anniversary is 7/1/2021, and I expect to finish the process in about 90 days, I still will get all the SO deposited in my account at that time right? in other words, I am not affected by the Points Anniversary being in a month correct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
@dioxide45 Noted. Thank you. Last question for you. If the Points Anniversary is 7/1/2021, and I expect to finish the process in about 90 days, I still will get all the SO deposited in my account at that time right? in other words, I am not affected by the Points Anniversary being in a month correct?
I am not sure what you mean by a points anniversary. There isn't any such thing with Vistana unless they have that in Sheraton or Westin Flex. The 7/1 date I was mentioning is the banking deadline for 2021 use year StarOptions. So if the week you are buying is coming with current use year StarOptions, then they need to be banked by that date. Some people have reported getting Vistana to allow them to bank after that deadline when they had a newly acquired resale contract. Though YMMV.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
I am not sure what you mean by a points anniversary. There isn't any such thing with Vistana unless they have that in Sheraton or Westin Flex. The 7/1 date I was mentioning is the banking deadline for 2021 use year StarOptions. So if the week you are buying is coming with current use year StarOptions, then they need to be banked by that date. Some people have reported getting Vistana to allow them to bank after that deadline when they had a newly acquired resale contract. Though YMMV.
@dioxide45 https://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/resources/timeshare-glossary/anniversary-date/

This is the definition I've found. on the escrow deposit doc one of the columns is points anniversary: 7/1/2021. So I just wanted to make sure that. wasn't any kind of catch to me getting the SO upon closing likely beyond that date.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not exactly sure that what means in regard to a Vistana resale week purchase. Are you sure this isn't Sheraton Flex? Though I thought they had a January 1 Anniversary Date. Though I could be wrong on that. You might want to seek clarification as to what that means from the broker you are buying from.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
I am not exactly sure that what means in regard to a Vistana resale week purchase. Are you sure this isn't Sheraton Flex? Though I thought they had a January 1 Anniversary Date. Though I could be wrong on that. You might want to seek clarification as to what that means from the broker you are buying from.
Called to confirm, broker said its the date the points refresh for the next year and have no affect on closing or being added to my account once created. he has assured me it is in VSN and not Sheraton Flex. So I think its a non issue?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Called to confirm, broker said its the date the points refresh for the next year and have no affect on closing or being added to my account once created. he has assured me it is in VSN and not Sheraton Flex. So I think its a non issue?
Should be a non issue, though the points refresh every year on 1/1. So the broker seems to not really understand the program. This isn't unusual.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
@dioxide45 i have a final question as I’m signing closing docs, and this is really just to triple check, as I’m confident this is accurate, but this is certainly one thing I do not want to mess up!

I am buying SVV-Bella (mandatory resort). On the documents it has a check mark next to the following (lightly paraphrased)

Membership in VSN must transfer with ownership, however access to gold elite level in Marriott Bonvoy and access to the conversion Program at not transferable. Bonvoy pts already deposited to the sellers account will remain there.

This translates to:
I am in VSN therefore I can spend my StarOptions at any VSN resort booking 7 days at a time 8 months out. However, I will not be able to convert options to bonvoy points.

there’s another check box (unchecked) next to a voluntary resort description, adding to my confidence this is correct.

Thanks!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
@dioxide45 i have a final question as I’m signing closing docs, and this is really just to triple check, as I’m confident this is accurate, but this is certainly one thing I do not want to mess up!

I am buying SVV-Bella (mandatory resort). On the documents it has a check mark next to the following (lightly paraphrased)

Membership in VSN must transfer with ownership, however access to gold elite level in Marriott Bonvoy and access to the conversion Program at not transferable. Bonvoy pts already deposited to the sellers account will remain there.

This translates to:
I am in VSN therefore I can spend my StarOptions at any VSN resort booking 7 days at a time 8 months out. However, I will not be able to convert options to bonvoy points.

there’s another check box (unchecked) next to a voluntary resort description, adding to my confidence this is correct.

Thanks!

This is correct, though you are not limited to “7 days at a time”. You are limited based on the number of staroptions your week converts to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
This is correct, though you are not limited to “7 days at a time”. You are limited based on the number of staroptions your week converts to.

Thanks, and yes, agreed, in my case 95700. but don’t I have to book 7 days if it’s at the 8 month mark? Or did I make that up? I thought I read that somewhere.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks, and yes, agreed, in my case 95700. but don’t I have to book 7 days if it’s at the 8 month mark? Or did I make that up? I thought I read that somewhere.

Some years ago they changed the system so we may book any number of days we wish at the eight month mark. It used to be a minimum of seven nights, but no longer.

MAJPLO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some years ago they changed the system so we may book any number of days we wish at the eight month mark. It used to be a minimum of seven nights, but no longer.

Do you have to do 7 days at the 12 month mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Do you have to do 7 days at the 12 month mark?

Yes, with a traditional deeded ownership. But with HomeOptions (Flex) I think you can book any number of days (1-14) even during the home resort reservation period of 8-12 months.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score