• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Every Other Year StarOptions Banking

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Considering Buying an Every Other Year (Odd) at a Mandatory Resort. I should have the ability to bank these options if I am unable to use this year correct? Can I bank them in 2021 and Spend them in 2022? All while only paying Maintenance Fee in 2021, 2023, etc.....?

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, banked StarOptions are valid for the next two calendar years. You don't need to prepay your fees to bank, but would need to pay the fees when due. Maintenance fees are one half (50%) every year.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Vistana maintenance fees are paid annually, so for an EOY it’s roughly half of an annual fee each year, plus the vistana network fee

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Yes, banked StarOptions are valid for the next two calendar years. You don't need to prepay your fees to bank, but would need to pay the fees when due. Maintenance fees are one half (50%) every year.
Got it! Thank you!

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella

If I were to buy an EOYO, and I wanted SO to book something in January 2022, Could I bank them this early so that I could make a reservation 8 months out? How would that work?

The Obvious answer is find an EOYE out there... but Im struggling to find the right one right now.

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I were to buy an EOYO, and I wanted SO to book something in January 2022, Could I bank them this early so that I could make a reservation 8 months out? How would that work?

The Obvious answer is find an EOYE out there... but Im struggling to find the right one right now.

Thanks!
Yes, you can bank them now to make a January 2022 reservation as long as the date you are booking is inside the 8 month booking window.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Hypothetical, since you mentioned looking into another EOYE.

I have an EOYO, and was thinking the same originally, but now I'm thinking of getting another EOYO, since I would only have to pay the banking fee every other year if unused if I'm mainly using for Staroptions. We are in a unique covid situation, but I think most years at this point of the year we would know how many would use the rest of the year and bank everything else early if needed.

To add, the additional purchase would be something small to add staroptions to my current ownership like a 1-bed SVV. Not something I need for Home options like a WKORV.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The banking deadline for StarOptions is July 1.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Yes, you can bank them now to make a January 2022 reservation as long as the date you are booking is inside the 8 month booking window.
I think they would have to invent a new calendar to do that :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think they would have to invent a new calendar to do that :)
Perhaps a detail left out there, but you can bank now to make a January 2022 reservation when May 1 rolls around. That is what I was trying to get at.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Perhaps a detail left out there, but you can bank now to make a January 2022 reservation when May 1 rolls around. That is what I was trying to get at.
Maybe not the best thread, but figured I would ask here first..... if I were considering buying EOYE resale, and got everything transferred in the next few months. Can I book for 2022 this year (within 8 month window) or will the points not transfer to me until the start of 2022. (Eyeing a May 2022 Vacation).

Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Maybe not the best thread, but figured I would ask here first..... if I were considering buying EOYE resale, and got everything transferred in the next few months. Can I book for 2022 this year (within 8 month window) or will the points not transfer to me until the start of 2022. (Eyeing a May 2022 Vacation).

Hope that makes sense.
I believe all the rights of the current owner would transfer to you on close so the options would become yours to use accordingly once the purchase is complete.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Hope that makes sense.
As long as 2022 StarOptions are still available, you would be able to start booking with those as soon as transfer is complete.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
As long as 2022 StarOptions are still available, you would be able to start booking with those as soon as transfer is complete.
Great, and as an EOYE Owner, I can make the reservation in an Odd Year, in preparation for an even year trip? just want to be super clear. Right now, Im looking at Harborside EOYE, 850/year ($1700) for 67,100 SO. Its not the best MF/SO Ratio, but its close. As a newbie, Ill just straight up ask for an opinion here... is there anything wrong with that? I want to use it for spending at other resorts such as WKOV, so spending 1700/trip would still be a significant savings compared to paying for it outright.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
and Ill follow this one with the question, if I bank the Odd Year Options, do they not become restricted? I would have Unrestricted options in 2022?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
and Ill follow this one with the question, if I bank the Odd Year Options, do they not become restricted? I would have Unrestricted options in 2022?
When you bank, you can use them for two years following the use year. So they would be able to be used through December 31, 2024. Keep in mind that you must bank by July 1 of the use year. Once you bank them, they can no longer be used in their original use year.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Great, and as an EOYE Owner, I can make the reservation in an Odd Year, in preparation for an even year trip? just want to be super clear. Right now, Im looking at Harborside EOYE, 850/year ($1700) for 67,100 SO. Its not the best MF/SO Ratio, but its close. As a newbie, Ill just straight up ask for an opinion here... is there anything wrong with that? I want to use it for spending at other resorts such as WKOV, so spending 1700/trip would still be a significant savings compared to paying for it outright.
Yes, you can make the reservation in 2021 for a 2022 stay.

I would personally avoid Harborside. $1,700 for 67,100 is not good. You will also be paying the VSN fee every year. So that also adds to the cost per SO. Harborside is also perhaps one of the hardest weeks to resell or get rid of. Don't do it unless you want to go to Harborside most years. @CPNY can attest to this.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Yes, you can make the reservation in 2021 for a 2022 stay.

I would personally avoid Harborside. $1,700 for 67,100 is not good. You will also be paying the VSN fee every year. So that also adds to the cost per SO. Harborside is also perhaps one of the hardest weeks to resell or get rid of. Don't do it unless you want to go to Harborside most years. @CPNY can attest to this.
Im with you, I agree, its not the best. The EOYO Im looking at is at Kierland - Listed Deal is 850 buy in, 1800 (900/yr) MF for 81000 SO , which has much better Re-sell and Rental Opportunity. But I guess Id really have to get moving on the transfer so that I can Have the Options to bank by July 1.

1700 for 67100 or 1800 for 81000 isn't a Huge difference to me, but obviously the former is better. Buy in much less at Harborside though (But that's for all the reasons you mentioned above)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Im with you, I agree, its not the best. The EOYO Im looking at is at Kierland - Listed Deal is 850 buy in, 1800 (900/yr) MF for 81000 SO , which has much better Re-sell and Rental Opportunity. But I guess Id really have to get moving on the transfer so that I can Have the Options to bank by July 1.

1700 for 67100 or 1800 for 81000 isn't a Huge difference to me, but obviously the former is better. Buy in much less at Harborside though (But that's for all the reasons you mentioned above)
What is the season and unit size of the Kierland week you are looking at? I think that is the issue here, Kierland is a good MF to SO ratio IF you are looking at Platinum Plus weeks. Once you go to Gold Plus, it isn't as great. You are better to look at an SVV mandatory Prime season week.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
What is the season and unit size of the Kierland week you are looking at? I think that is the issue here, Kierland is a good MF to SO ratio IF you are looking at Platinum Plus weeks. Once you go to Gold Plus, it isn't as great. You are better to look at an SVV mandatory Prime season week.
Gold plus is the one I’m looking at, market just isn’t quite perfect for EOY, but it is close enough to make me consider at least

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Stay away from harborside resort and gold plus Kierland...... if you still go ahead with either of those two after being told not to, I’m not sure how much you’ll learn around here haha.

sharr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Divide your yearly MF by your yearly SOs. If it's over about $0.02 per StarOption, you can probably do better. That's my opinion if you're just looking to maximize your SOs for use in-network.

Since high-season (plat+) weeks have more SOs attached at the same unit size for the same MFs, that's generally where you want to be looking.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Stay away from harborside resort and gold plus Kierland...... if you still go ahead with either of those two after being told not to, I’m not sure how much you’ll learn around here haha.
Haha, I understand, im generally impatient, but patience is key in this decision. Im certainly not committed to anything yet and am taking all this info in as I browse.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I think I've read that it can take 6-8 weeks AFTER closing on a resale purchase before you can access your ownership and book. So you may need to figure that into your thinking. Seems like July 1 might be a bit iffy.