• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Event Week?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just curious about HGVC's event weeks......

For HGVC resorts in Hawaii, Vegas & New York, weeks 51 and/or 52 were sold as event weeks (aka "fixed' weeks).
Did HGVC sell all of these weeks as event weeks or only a certain percentage at each resort?

Once an owner uses their HGVC for a non-event week reservation (bank, borrow, HHonor conversion, RCI, etc), it is available for booking.
I believe these weeks can become available during the home reservation window (of course depending on when the fixed week was cancelled). I could be wrong but not too long ago, I thought I saw a Flamingo week 51 or 52 available during home reservation week. I've already allocated my 2009 and 2010 usage, so I can't check for 2009 and 2010.

I'm also assuming an event week owner can still book another platinum week within the home reservation period, if they decide to cancel their "fixed" week. Is this true?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I think that events weeks are booked automatically. As soon as an owner changes or cancels that reservation, then they would become available to every other member at that point.

The main difference between an Event Week and any other week, is that an EVENT week owner has their week automatically booked for them with nothing to do on their part. They must cancel or change that reservation into something else.

For everyone else, nothing is booked automatically, you must initiate the booking request yourself.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that events weeks are booked automatically. As soon as an owner changes or cancels that reservation, then they would become available to every other member at that point.

This is correct. We own Vegas New Years, so for us it's always week 52. It is automatically booked for us. Our week becomes available if and when we cancel the booking.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Event weeks are defined in the 2009 club manual on pate 32. "Event Week - a period of seven consecutive nights, during specific peak travel times, when Club Members owning intervals during these times have guaranteed reservation privileges."

Event weeks are futher discussed on page 140 of the manual. "Members who won a designated fixed or event week shall automatically have their week reserved annually. In order to use a fixed or event week for other vacation options available through the Club, the Member must contact the Club and cancel the automatic reservation."

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the responses :) .... but my questions have not been answered.

(1) Did HGVC sell all of these weeks as event weeks or only a certain percentage at each resort?

(2) Once the event week has been cancelled, is it available during the home reservation period (of course depending on when the fixed week was cancelled)?

(3) I'm also assuming an event week owner can still book another platinum week within the home reservation period, if they decide to cancel their "fixed" week. Is this true?

Thanks for your help:hi:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thanks for the responses :) .... but my questions have not been answered.

(1) Did HGVC sell all of these weeks as event weeks or only a certain percentage at each resort?

(2) Once the event week has been cancelled, is it available during the home reservation period (of course depending on when the fixed week was cancelled)?

(3) I'm also assuming an event week owner can still book another platinum week within the home reservation period, if they decide to cancel their "fixed" week. Is this true?

Thanks for your help:hi:

I would assume that all statements you made are true. For 1) since these weeks are a premium and can demand premium prices I would think that ALL events weeks would be sold this way. Why would they leave money on the table and sell them for just a regular platinum price. 2) Provided it is cancelled during home reservation period. I don't think that all owners decide if they will use their week or not during that home period. So I think that is the issue for trying to obtain it. 3) Again, rules and logic would assume this to be true.

However if you are looking for Proof, I don't own an event week, so I can't confirm.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I would assume that all statements you made are true. For 1) since these weeks are a premium and can demand premium prices I would think that ALL events weeks would be sold this way. Why would they leave money on the table and sell them for just a regular platinum price. 2) Provided it is cancelled during home reservation period. I don't think that all owners decide if they will use their week or not during that home period. So I think that is the issue for trying to obtain it. 3) Again, rules and logic would assume this to be true.

However if you are looking for Proof, I don't own an event week, so I can't confirm.

Thanks Sandy :)

I see your point that whenever the event owner cancels their week, it would just be the luck of the draw on who happens to see it online to book it.

However some HGVC options are only available if planned in advance (such as conversion to HHonor points, banking and borrowing), I'm assuming these weeks would be available during the home reservation period. This might give a slight advantage to home resort owners vs non-owners waiting to snag an event week during the club reservation window.