• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Even retail prices are dropping

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from an MVCI rep promoting a Customer Loyalty discount- good through 11/26/2008. You can save up to 14% off the usual Marriott retail prices for Aruba Surf Club, Grande Vista, Cypress Harbor, and Fairway Villas. The units are mostly gold season. I don't expect anyone on TUG will want to pursue this "sale" since TUGgers know how to get even better "sales" by buying re-sale but I find it interesting that even MVCI is having to lower their usually "fixed" prices. Another interesting thing is that they are still promoting the, now much devalued, reward points as an incentive to purchase. If I knew how to post the whole message here I would but I don't know how and there's a disclaimer on it saying that it's proprietary information and can't be shared with others (so others who aren't included can't demand the lower prices I guess). I'm sure we'll see more price drops and offers like this given the current state of our economy.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Toured Shadow Ridge today

We're at DSVII this week, and did a preview today at Shadow Ridge. It's a beautiful property. We hadn't seen it before. We were really surprised at the pre-construction prices, and incentive points. I think the bottom line for us was about 16,000 (2009 useage), and points credited for '08, at 265,000 total. That was a little thought provoking. I just had to keep thinking of the auction going on, and the ebay prices, even though I haven't seen any for Shadow Ridge. I don't check often, though. I get too excited for our own good. LOL!

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at DSV II in 3 weeks and just returned from a long weekend at the Westin Mission Hills! Looooooooooove Palm Springs!

Did you check out the prices for the platinum deluxe lock-off suites? They are sooooooooooo expensive, I can't believe anyone actually is still paying those prices!

There always be some who haven't yet discovered TUG!

Janna

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jaybee-
The offer you mention is exactly why we purchased Shadow Ridge from Marriott. It was too good to pass up and I did know about TUG.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Recent ShadowRidge prices on Ebay

We're at DSVII this week, and did a preview today at Shadow Ridge. It's a beautiful property. We hadn't seen it before. We were really surprised at the pre-construction prices, and incentive points. I think the bottom line for us was about 16,000 (2009 useage), and points credited for '08, at 265,000 total. That was a little thought provoking. I just had to keep thinking of the auction going on, and the ebay prices, even though I haven't seen any for Shadow Ridge. I don't check often, though. I get too excited for our own good. LOL!

I've been watching ShadowRidge (platinum season annual only) for a bit. Recent sales have ended from between $6600 and $8700. Don't know if the $6600 will pass ROFR, but those prices are crazy. We bought a SR resale back in March and paid $11,000 and thought we did great.:shrug:

The $16,000 price you got from Marriott, I'm assuming that is in the new Enclave section - right? What season and is it an annual or EOY?

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't ask many questions to sound interested, but it was for the new section, and I think if it had been an EOY offer, I doubt it would have included that many points, and an EOY was never mentioned.
The new section is beautiful, but we preferred the older Villages. I must go away now, and stop thinking about it. (sigh). Jean

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting . . .

Got a letter in the mail regarding NCV retail "sale"
Gold Season regularly $30K, limited time only $24,900
Offer expires soon (as soon as sales pick up again :D )

Danette

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps Perry's prediction has come true and the bubble has burst. Though it is only a limited time offer. I think you will begin to see more of these.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Perry - Where ARE you?

Perhaps Perry's prediction has come true and the bubble has burst. Though it is only a limited time offer. I think you will begin to see more of these.

Perry stated even "1 penny" less at retail from Marriott and it was official that the timeshare bubble had blown up. I'd say thousands in published discounts qualifies as at least a penny drop, no?

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry is busy trying to see how far the prices have fallen at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas. Marriott's bubble is bursting, Planet Hollywod's bubble has already burst.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry is busy trying to see how far the prices have fallen at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas. Marriott's bubble is bursting, Planet Hollywod's bubble has already burst.

His money in Planet Hollywood was just his luxury spending money. So, it may not have really hurt him much.

He did say earlier this year that 99% of his net worth was in some type of DJIA ETF. If Planet Hollywood didn't hurt, then the tanking of the stock market surely did. I wonder why he wasn't speaking of a bubble in residential real estate and the stock market?

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be afraid, be very afraid of EVERYTHING!

My prediction of the timeshare bubble bursting is based upon Marriott sales price that is NOT a special event – normal, everyday, sales prices. I don’t think that has happened yet.

My stock market indicator went short the DJIA on Nov 7, 2007 at 13,399 – still short but could go long if it exceeds 9654 in Dec (DJIA closed at 8630 today).

Ph opens Aug 2009 – will see then how I did.

I’m really scared of ALL markets right now – stocks, real estate, commodities, you name it and the US government has screwed it up with more screw ups coming in the next 4 years. I haven’t a clue where to put money right now. We are in uncharted waters. (When the government gives away $1 trillion dollars like Monopoly money you know we are in a lot of trouble - that's $3,330 for each man, woman, and child in the US; after paying interest and with government inefficiency it will be close to $6,000 per person to pay back - your kids and grand kids will be paying for this)

Watching the Destination Club market implode in real time – it’s a hoot to see my prediction there coming true. I feel sorry for folks there but gave ample warning of exactly what would happen – I can sleep at night.

Happy holidays and may 2009 be better than 2008.

P.S.
My nightmare is deflation - over any 200 year period there is an equal number of years of inflation as deflation. Everything our government does is based upon inflation - if we have deflation nothing will work. Massive turmoil in the world. I'm really scared of this.

P.P.S.
Will be in Park City snowboarding Dec 27 - Jan 3.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Oh, Perry, home prices have fallen all over the country in the past year or two, and the sky hasn't fallen yet. Your posts are getting scarier. :eek: I guess we had better start stuffing our mattresses? :rofl:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, Perry, home prices have fallen all over the country in the past year or two, and the sky hasn't fallen yet. Your posts are getting scarier. :eek: I guess we had better start stuffing our mattresses? :rofl:

Thank the US government - they forced the banks and credit industry to make loans to folks who had no hope of ever paying back the loans and caused the real estate bubble - it burst and now the same clowns are spending trillions of dollars doing the same exact thing.

Like I said I'm really really scared of the mess we have just entered - its not over by a long shot. Sometime shortly the Ponzi scheme known as Social Security will unravel too - the US government will simply seize your 401k and other retirement funds and merge the money into SS.

They did it with gold in the last century they will do it with your retirement funds in this century.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Perry, it is also the general lack of responsibility that caused the mortgage crisis. Many of these people who bought homes could well afford them, but they chose to walk away because they don't think it will hurt them. If those people who stop paying their house payments couldn't buy a house for ten years, that might teach them a lesson.

You know, I don't think anyone really forced those people into those mortgages. I do think too many people found it easy to blame the government, the mortgage companies, and the increasing interest rates for their problems. What's wrong with paying what they owe? And the interest rates are unbelievably cheap, compared to what they were 20 years ago.

This thread is going into territory that might get it closed. And yes, I am afraid our Roths are going to get absorbed into the SS crisis. I will be so angry when that happens.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gas - 25¢ a gallon - as much as you want!

Perry, it is also the general lack of responsibility that caused the mortgage crisis. Many of these people who bought homes could well afford them, but they chose to walk away because they don't think it will hurt them. If those people who stop paying their house payments couldn't buy a house for ten years, that might teach them a lesson.

You know, I don't think anyone really forced those people into those mortgages. I do think too many people found it easy to blame the government, the mortgage companies, and the increasing interest rates for their problems. What's wrong with paying what they owe? And the interest rates are unbelievably cheap, compared to what they were 20 years ago.

This thread is going into territory that might get it closed. And yes, I am afraid our Roths are going to get absorbed into the SS crisis. I will be so angry when that happens.

If that sign were put up in a gas station there would be fist fights as cars lined up for blocks to get a deal. Same thing happened with politicians wanting to buy votes with cheap, teaser loan rates; it blew up in everyone's face. (However the politicians did get the votes they wanted)

Here’s an article how just one man’s Ponzi scheme soaked $50 B from some very smart investors – imagine an entire government doing this for 60+ years.

You're right and I’ll stop posting since most of my posts seem to always get me into trouble…

Happy holidays again.

Last edited:

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. Now you guys have me scared!

Simple question....

Can the government REALLY just absorb my 401K if it deems it necessary? I guess I know that answer is yes. I look at the last 8 years and realize that the executive branch can do anything it wants to, but... REALLY? Is that a possibility? I've got 30 years left of paying in and would probably do unmentionable things if the government tried to take that money away from me. I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Simple question....

Can the government REALLY just absorb my 401K if it deems it necessary? I guess I know that answer is yes. I look at the last 8 years and realize that the executive branch can do anything it wants to, but... REALLY? Is that a possibility? I've got 30 years left of paying in and would probably do unmentionable things if the government tried to take that money away from me. I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

They sure can, and it was discussed on Foxnews not too long ago. I was shocked at the time, but the explanation as to how they would deem it necessary sure rang true, with what has gone on lately.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Here’s an article how just one man’s Ponzi scheme soaked $50 B from some very smart investors – imagine an entire government doing this for 60+ years.
You should replace "smart" with "rich, sick and greedy." You will hear over the next few days and weeks in the news (or can search online now) that the "victims" are not poor, snookered investors. They are ultra rich people who NOW ADMIT that they knew that Madoff must have been doing something untoward to get the returns that he was claiming.

The best part is these self-admitted greedy people thought that Madoff had some illegal inside trading knowledge, and were happily taking advantage of it to their gain (so they thought). Low and behold they learn that no, their fearless leader is not using any special knowledge to pad their pockets, but he was a fool, losing all their money, and claiming great returns ENRON style.

Hopefully this won't end the thread, and it can be relegated to the Lounge....

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
My stock market indicator went short the DJIA on Nov 7, 2007 at 13,399 – still short but could go long if it exceeds 9654 in Dec (DJIA closed at 8630 today).

You are implying that you went short on the Dow Jones indusrial average since Nov 7, 2007 and have been since. I call BS. Just this year, you were espousing the wisdom of investing virtually all of your assets into the Dow Industrials due to the 13-14% long term average annual gain of that index and how it was virtually a guaranteed investment. You implied at that time that investors could bank on these gains every year while ignoring the risks. The percentage of your net worth you stated was 99% invested in the Dow stocks.

Now, you are implying that you were short right after the market peaked. Right, like we believe that.

My market timing indicator is better than yours. It's called the Monday morning quarterback hindsight indicator. It has a perfect record of calling tops and bottoms of markets. It told me to go 100% short on the Dow on Oct 11, 2007 when the Dow hit 14,279.96 intraday.

You also claimed that residential real estate was NOT in a bubble constantly using Zillow to back your case. How can you claim credit for calling a timeshare bubble when you didn't even acknowledge or call the residential housing bubble that was so obvious to everyone. I would have been very impressed if you would have predicted the demise of the timeshare industry would be led by the timeshare developers not being able to securitize the debt from their customers required to purchase their timeshares. That would have been a brilliant insight.

Last edited:

Carl D

Reaction score
You are implying that you went short on the Dow Jones indusrial average since Nov 7, 2007 and have been since. I call BS. Just this year, you were espousing the wisdom of investing virtually all of your assets into the Dow Industrials due to the 13-14% long term average annual gain of that index and how it was virtually a guaranteed investment. You implied at that time that investors could bank on these gains every year while ignoring the risks. The percentage of your net worth you stated was 99% invested in the Dow stocks.
I'm not a financial expert, and I'm not trying to imply this is what Perry did, but...

Isn't it possible to short the market when it's high, AND purchase when the market is low while you're still shorting the other stocks?