• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EV charging has a big problem - and it has nothing to do with recharge time

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is a problem in the United States or in Canada.
Agreed. Most N. Americans keep their cars in garages and charge them at home, only using public charging stations while traveling. Europeans largely park on the street, therefore have little choice than to charge there as well. As of now, there are many separate businesses providing charging infrastructure, and they all have their own apps to locate, and charge ($, not electrons) customers. I suspect that as time goes by, and charging stations become more prolific, they'll all have a simple card reader to collect the pay. It will become more standardized- like gasoline prices always ending in $X.XX.9. EV charging will probably be by the kWh. Now it can either be that way, or by time. $0.XX cents per minute of charging time. New EVs already come with a period of time of 'free' charging before the owner is on the hook to charge their EV.

Jim

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We have several Tesla charge stations around here in shopping center parking lots, every time I go by its full of cars charging up.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have several Tesla charge stations around here in shopping center parking lots, every time I go by its full of cars charging up.
Tesla clearly led the 'charge' to build rechargers. Musk realized early on that the key to his success was to alleviate 'range anxiety'. My beef with this is that in N. America, his plug is proprietary. It only fits Tesla cars. Buyers of Tesla cars in the rest of the world will find they accept the industry 'standard' J1772 plug. Musk has committed that other vehicles (with an adapter) will be able to use the Tesla charger network.

EV charging will continue to slow the acceptance of EVs until people see multiple charging stations springing up along the usual and customary routes they drive. Until they no longer feel that driving an electric car is cutting edge technology that they have to change their ways to use, they'll hang onto the ol' guzzler.

The (iirc) $7 or so billion bucks in the new infrastructure bill earmarked for EV chargers should go far to spread the network.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I agree, govt has to invest in the infrastructure if they want us to convert from fossil fuels. We already have the electric grid in place, so building charging stations is not a big deal. Rural US will be the issue, around here in Orange County CA you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting an EV car.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
At the Carlsbad (CA) Outlets Tesla is installing about 10 charging stations with signs that state “For Tesla Owners Only”.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Charging stations are an opportunity for roadside businesses; restaurants, amusements, shopping malls and historical sites can all install charging stations. Any business where you will spend more than 30 minutes is a candidate.
l’d liken it to waterfront restaurants that have dock space. They charge a fee to tie up and give you a credit towards your bill.
I think the idea that charging stations should be like current gas stations is flawed. We drove home from New Hampshire in May all the highway rest stops had stations, less than 5 at any site. They were always full and the number of EV’s on the road is minuscule now. What’s it going to be like when EV’s are the majority of vehicles?
Given a 300 mile range most people in suburban and rural areas can charge cheaply at home. But what about longer drives and the economies that depend on them? If we are going to switch from a portable system (ICE) to a on board storage system (EV) the way we look at it has to change.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other real problem is there are about 5 different kinds of charging connections out there. While the Level 2 chargers are standard across the board, your vehicle may need an adapter to use the standard J1772 connector. As for the higher speed charging connections, that is where the different connectors come into play.

I have 3 different charging apps on my phone, but the PlugShare app will work with most providers and in addition lets you search for nearby charging stations.

Hart99

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other real problem is there are about 5 different kinds of charging connections out there. While the Level 2 chargers are standard across the board, your vehicle may need an adapter to use the standard J1772 connector. As for the higher speed charging connections, that is where the different connectors come into play.

I have 3 different charging apps on my phone, but the PlugShare app will work with most providers and in addition lets you search for nearby charging stations.
standards.png

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's really not all that complicated. All EVs sold in N. America use the J1772 (or J-plug) connector for level 1 (110v)-or level 2 (240v) charging except Tesla which has a proprietary plug- and EVERY Tesla sold in N. America comes with an adaptor to the J 1772 standard. High Speed, 480v DC 'Superchargers' use a proprietary (Tesla) plug. Yes, there are some different plugs that work in different locales around the world, but it really isn't more difficult than selecting Regular gas, unleaded, or 10% or 15% ethanol unleaded or premium. See. You already had that figured out, didn't you?

Jim

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bummer, I sure hope this 7Billion infrastructure fails to pass so my kids/grandkids don't get saddled with this DEBT for the rest of there lives. Sorry EV fans we we just have to find more creative ways to pay for the charging stations.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I noticed a few different problems when I had a plug in car. The worst is when a non-EV takes the parking space. 2nd is you find a charging station and it's broken or your app fails to activate it. 3rd is when you find a charging station that already has a car charging in it and the owner is nowhere to be found. 4th the cost at some of these charging stations is crazy high.

I can't speak to Tesla because I have never owned one. There is a huge supercharging area at La Costa Avenue and El Camino near the Equinox gym and it's always close to full.