• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EV charging at Grande Ocean

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking forward to using the chargers at the resort as my first trip there since buying a Tesla but unfortunately they have removed all 8 of them. There were also no 110 outlets that were appropriate to use in any of the buildings. The only 2 110 outlets in all 10 buildings that I could find (not in the bike repair area) were not reasonable to use as one would have put the charging cable across a walkway and the other across a large bike rack routinely used by guests. The only outside outlets were on the light poles and on the front wall and only worked when the lights were on. I was able to charge for a few hours off a 110 outlet in the sales center underneath parking and did charge one night off a light pole. There are 2 Tesla superchargers on the island so not a big deal. When I inquired at the FD, I was told the Management Company recommended they be removed. I also asked one of the engineering staff who said it was related to insurance reasons which I interpreted as the same basic answer. I did not inquire to check to see if Surfwatch or Barony had removed theirs.

On a side note, stayed at the Bluegreen resort in Savannah on the way home and the public parking garage (Whitaker Garage) attached had 2 Tesla 48 amp wall chargers and two J1772 Enviro Spark 32 Amp chargers that were free. Apparently the other public garages have them as well. One of the Tesla chargers was not working and seemed to have not been working for some time. I used both the Tesla and J1772 chargers (with an adapter). There was a 3 hr limit for charging which was not an issue.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
(Sigh) EV charging while traveling is an ongoing PITA! I'm all for private enterprise, but it's going to simply take time for public EV chargers to proliferate. IMO, this single issue stands more in the way of people buying EVs instead of ICE vehicles.

We're still sticking with the plug-in hybrid for the foreseeable future. Even so, it's aggravating to go to our second home city, where our HOA's management company still has not made effort to install a charging solution, and driving around town, only to find ICEs parked in EV charging spaces. Grrr.

Jim

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Not Grande Ocean, but I was worried to rent an EV on Maui after reading reports of problems finding charging, but it turned out really well. Free charging at WKORV. And a Tesla was the cheapest rental. First time ever driving an EV and super happy.

DSC04775.jpg

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Does anyone know if the chargers were removed at SurfWatch? We'll be going there next year for the first time, and I was happy to see they had chargers. Unfortunately, my attempt to rent an EV in Savannah proved to be fruitless. We rent EVs whenever possible when we travel, but it seems you can't rent one from any of the car rental agencies (at least not at the airport), so I guess we're stuck with a gas car instead. Savannah seems to have chargers in many locations so I don't know why their rental car companies don't have any for rent.

Last year I drove my EV from MA to VA and there were plenty of DC-fast chargers along the way, until I got to VA, where they were fewer and far between. I chalk it up to the political climate of the south and the climate deniers, but maybe there's another reason. :shrug:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the chargers were removed at SurfWatch? We'll be going there next year for the first time, and I was happy to see they had chargers. Unfortunately, my attempt to rent an EV in Savannah proved to be fruitless. We rent EVs whenever possible when we travel, but it seems you can't rent one from any of the car rental agencies (at least not at the airport), so I guess we're stuck with a gas car instead. Savannah seems to have chargers in many locations so I don't know why their rental car companies don't have any for rent.

Last year I drove my EV from MA to VA and there were plenty of DC-fast chargers along the way, until I got to VA, where they were fewer and far between. I chalk it up to the political climate of the south and the climate deniers, but maybe there's another reason. :shrug:

VA is not exactly part of the political climate of the south. Pretty Democrat state these days.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
(Sigh) EV charging while traveling is an ongoing PITA! I'm all for private enterprise, but it's going to simply take time for public EV chargers to proliferate. IMO, this single issue stands more in the way of people buying EVs instead of ICE vehicles.

We're still sticking with the plug-in hybrid for the foreseeable future. Even so, it's aggravating to go to our second home city, where our HOA's management company still has not made effort to install a charging solution, and driving around town, only to find ICEs parked in EV charging spaces. Grrr.

Jim
I think it depends on where you are, where you're traveling to and how much one enjoys planning plus the type of chargers one can use. I'm about 3.5 months into owning the Tesla and have taken two trips of around 700 miles total for each trip. Only once did I charge in such a way that it took up time just waiting, around 15 minutes. For the first trip it was charging during lunch and bathroom stops plus charging at my sisters and the hotel we stayed at on the way up (left after work) so no down time just waiting. For this trip to MGO and back, I had one stop of 15 minutes while I was just waiting on charging but as it turns out the weather was such that I would have had to pull off anyway. Otherwise it was charging while shopping at the grocery store, bathroom stops and free charging in the parking deck. Since I would never leave my ICE car at the pump while going to the restroom, I probably spent around the same time total stopped for those 2 longer trips as I would have without an EV. I suspect trips from Twin Falls in certain directions would be a bit more challenging and even more so relying on CCS chargers pretty much anywhere. I've owned 4 hybrids but no plug in hybrids. To me they would be my least favorite option for several reasons.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with an EV for rental though unless I could guarantee it was a Tesla. Clark Howard is big on EV's, esp Teslas, and he does not rent EV's while traveling.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got some more information today from a contact. The chargers at SW have not been removed and GO plans to install them in a different location at some point though this is still in the planning stage. My guess is it'll be in the ancillary parking across the street if they actually follow through.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
VA is not exactly part of the political climate of the south. Pretty Democrat state these days.
We found them in northern VA... DC/Alexandria, but they were sparse in Williamsburg. And Savannah IS the deep south.

mj2vacation

Reaction score

Jim
I’ve traveled extensively with EVs. It’s only a hassle if you don’t plan a bit, no more than planning to fill with gas.

A tesla will plan all of the route and charging automatically.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve traveled extensively with EVs. It’s only a hassle if you don’t plan a bit, no more than planning to fill with gas.

I enjoy the planning so the EV and timeshares both fit well for my personality.
We found them in northern VA... DC/Alexandria, but they were sparse in Williamsburg. And Savannah IS the deep south.
We were just in Williamsburg so I went to plug share to compare. We flew into Norfolk rented a SUV. Looking at the maps on Plugshare there looked to be quite a number including many free ones. Both the timeshare we stayed at and the hotel where my meeting was had free chargers had I needed them. It's certainly sparse around Manor Club though.

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that there are Superchargers right near the circle next to Harris Teeter, it wouldn't be an issue for us (but it is nice to have them to top off the night before the next leg). We go from Boston to Florida (and other places) every year and have not had any issues with finding chargers. If Grande Ocean or Marriott chooses to remove them, we will likely see that as just the loss of another amenity, and a possible reason to spend our vacation dollars elsewhere.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that there are Superchargers right near the circle next to Harris Teeter, it wouldn't be an issue for us (but it is nice to have them to top off the night before the next leg). We go from Boston to Florida (and other places) every year and have not had any issues with finding chargers. If Grande Ocean or Marriott chooses to remove them, we will likely see that as just the loss of another amenity, and a possible reason to spend our vacation dollars elsewhere.
As I noted, the word was that the management company recommended they be removed and someone in engineering said for insurance reasons. An in the know contact who was at MGO and now at SW said they had plans to replace them elsewhere but no specific location has been selected which means it might or might not happen and if it does, will likely be a while. The cynical side of me tends to think the main reason they removed them was complaints by those who wanted to use them and couldn't because they were ICE'd and they removed the problem rather than addressing it. In reality the chargers were not that obvious and the spaces were not marked in any way. I suspect that blocking off 8 under building spots by designating them EV only and losing those spots then having EV owners complain when they were ICE'd and ICE owners complain they couldn't find parking underneath was at least a component of the decision. IF they are going to replace them the best locations where there are actually parking spots are the outside paved spots near the check in but not right in front such as the ones on the outside near Sand Piper and Sand Dollar or across the street in the overflow lot. They'll still need to police it somewhat though which would make putting them across the street much less of an issue.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As I noted, the word was that the management company recommended they be removed and someone in engineering said for insurance reasons. An in the know contact who was at MGO and now at SW said they had plans to replace them elsewhere but no specific location has been selected which means it might or might not happen and if it does, will likely be a while. The cynical side of me tends to think the main reason they removed them was complaints by those who wanted to use them and couldn't because they were ICE'd and they removed the problem rather than addressing it. In reality the chargers were not that obvious and the spaces were not marked in any way. I suspect that blocking off 8 under building spots by designating them EV only and losing those spots then having EV owners complain when they were ICE'd and ICE owners complain they couldn't find parking underneath was at least a component of the decision. IF they are going to replace them the best locations where there are actually parking spots are the outside paved spots near the check in but not right in front such as the ones on the outside near Sand Piper and Sand Dollar or across the street in the overflow lot. They'll still need to police it somewhat though which would make putting them across the street much less of an issue.
More times than not, these spaces just sit empty. I can see why those with ICE vehicles would complain when prime spots are sitting empty. Kind of like those "karma" spots you see that the mall and grocery stores for veterans, pregnant women, curbside pickup. They are almost always empty.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
More times than not, these spaces just sit empty. I can see why those with ICE vehicles would complain when prime spots are sitting empty. Kind of like those "karma" spots you see that the mall and grocery stores for veterans, pregnant women, curbside pickup. They are almost always empty.
I would agree it's either feast or famine. For MGO they were always taken by ICE vehicles but they weren't marked in any way unless you just saw there was a charger on the wall. 8 prime spots would be a waste if reserved. That's why I think the best option is as I stated with a time limit for charging.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

The number of pick up spots that some stores (Cough, TARGET, cough, cough) installed is ABSURD. My local store has 28 of them!! It literally takes TWO rows of the closest parking spots and I have never ever seen more than 3 of them occupied at one time!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The number of pick up spots that some stores (Cough, TARGET, cough, cough) installed is ABSURD. My local store has 28 of them!! It literally takes TWO rows of the closest parking spots and I have never ever seen more than 3 of them occupied at one time!
Yeah. Target is bad for that. Our local Aldi also has four out in front. I never see a car in any of them.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Target is bad for that. Our local Aldi also has four out in front. I never see a car in any of them.
I tend to think they do this for advertising trying to get customers to use the service.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I think it depends on where you are, where you're traveling to and how much one enjoys planning plus the type of chargers one can use. I'm about 3.5 months into owning the Tesla and have taken two trips of around 700 miles total for each trip. Only once did I charge in such a way that it took up time just waiting, around 15 minutes. For the first trip it was charging during lunch and bathroom stops plus charging at my sisters and the hotel we stayed at on the way up (left after work) so no down time just waiting. For this trip to MGO and back, I had one stop of 15 minutes while I was just waiting on charging but as it turns out the weather was such that I would have had to pull off anyway. Otherwise it was charging while shopping at the grocery store, bathroom stops and free charging in the parking deck. Since I would never leave my ICE car at the pump while going to the restroom, I probably spent around the same time total stopped for those 2 longer trips as I would have without an EV. I suspect trips from Twin Falls in certain directions would be a bit more challenging and even more so relying on CCS chargers pretty much anywhere. I've owned 4 hybrids but no plug in hybrids. To me they would be my least favorite option for several reasons.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with an EV for rental though unless I could guarantee it was a Tesla. Clark Howard is big on EV's, esp Teslas, and he does not rent EV's while traveling.
We've had similar experiences with our Tesla. We are now defaulting to using our 2023 Model Y for road trips after taking several 2-2.5 hour trips and several 5-8 hour trips each way. The 2-2.5 hour trips around 120-140 miles each way are no-brainers as the vehicle doesn't have to be charged at all during the trip - only at some point after arriving at the destination - and most of the Wyndham resorts we frequent offer free L2 chargers which is a nice perk. Even on the longer 5-8 hour trips - we'd stop anyways for food and bathroom breaks so we simply end up combining the charging stops with food/bathroom breaks so we're not really losing any time. I'd also never rent a non-Tesla BEV given the Tesla Supercharging network is still, by far, the most reliable and ubiquitous of the public charging networks out there today.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC doesn't seem to use much common sense in their placement of charging stations. Canyon Villas wastes two spaces in the check-in parking area where there are only about 8 total spaces. If people need to leave their cars to charge for a few hours, the stations should be located in the back sections of parking lots and not in prime or covered spaces.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
MVC doesn't seem to use much common sense in their placement of charging stations. Canyon Villas wastes two spaces in the check-in parking area where there are only about 8 total spaces. If people need to leave their cars to charge for a few hours, the stations should be located in the back sections of parking lots and not in prime or covered spaces.

This is typically because the bean counters only want to spend the least amount possible to install the chargers - so they are close the building because running the underground power lines to a location farther away is more expensive.

I’ve seen L2 charger locations at hotels and resorts done right - installed out of the way in a more remote section of the parking lots - away from the entrances - given most L2 chargers only offer 5-10kw charging rates and therefore it takes several hours to recharge back up to 80-90% for example. I’ve also seen what you’re describing - badly located L2 EV chargers located in higher trafficked areas near building entrances where it’s much more likely ICE vehicles will consume EV charger parking spaces. You get what you pay for at the end of the day. Pay a bit more for a good customer experience long term, pay a bit less and deliver bad customer experiences for all involved. Some companies are very shortsighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

We are currently visiting Ocean City, Md watching our granddaughters’ National dance competition traveling from our home in North Jersey. Absolutely no issue with charging on the trip as the Tesla plans the route with charging for you. Here in OC, the Marriott Aloft we’re staying at has 2 level 2 chargers right outside the lobby entrance and we parked there and charged overnight our first night here (free).

As for the HOA comment, I’m on our condo board and we are doing a study (paid by the association) to add additional (we have 2 slow level 2 chargers now) and more efficient chargers to our community parking lots. Any residential areas that are not thinking about these things are being shortsighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Club Son Antem in Mallorca, there are now two charging stations in every road, as well as by the main building.

IMG_1229.jpeg

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
I was looking forward to using the chargers at the resort as my first trip there since buying a Tesla but unfortunately they have removed all 8 of them. There were also no 110 outlets that were appropriate to use in any of the buildings. The only 2 110 outlets in all 10 buildings that I could find (not in the bike repair area) were not reasonable to use as one would have put the charging cable across a walkway and the other across a large bike rack routinely used by guests. The only outside outlets were on the light poles and on the front wall and only worked when the lights were on. I was able to charge for a few hours off a 110 outlet in the sales center underneath parking and did charge one night off a light pole. There are 2 Tesla superchargers on the island so not a big deal. When I inquired at the FD, I was told the Management Company recommended they be removed. I also asked one of the engineering staff who said it was related to insurance reasons which I interpreted as the same basic answer. I did not inquire to check to see if Surfwatch or Barony had removed theirs.

On a side note, stayed at the Bluegreen resort in Savannah on the way home and the public parking garage (Whitaker Garage) attached had 2 Tesla 48 amp wall chargers and two J1772 Enviro Spark 32 Amp chargers that were free. Apparently the other public garages have them as well. One of the Tesla chargers was not working and seemed to have not been working for some time. I used both the Tesla and J1772 chargers (with an adapter). There was a 3 hr limit for charging which was not an issue.
We were at Crystal Shores this year, which has a few EV charging stations. An employee told us that a guest had just demanded that the resort pay for a gas card for her so she could travel for free at MVC expense, since the EV stations essentially provided free transportation to EV owners, and she wanted same ... Apparently she pitched a real fit in the lobby-- not sure what the outcome was.
People are unbelievable.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Club Son Antem last year the limited number of EV charging stations were free to use.
This year, since they have been installed in every road on the resort and recently all gone operational there is a charge.
I understood this to be ~€0.40 per Kwh.