• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EU to require all smartphones use the same charger

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that way the e-trucks and cars can be used practically to keep driving non stop on long vacation trips and allow truckers to keep moving efficiently during their allowed drive times.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is what you would like to happen:

ElectReon, the Israeli startup that provides wireless and in-road electric vehicle (EV) charging technology, is set to deploy its first public wireless EV charging road system in the US. The electric road startup will establish wireless charging tech in Detroit, Michigan.

The electrified road will stretch up to a mile long and will be located near Detroit’s Michigan Central Terminal, an abandoned train station that Ford is converting into a mobility innovation district. The state of Michigan plans to contribute $1.9 million to the project which ElectReon said will be fully functional by 2023.

The company’s goal is to allow EVs to carry smaller batteries, or maybe none at all, making them lighter and more efficient, as well as reducing the environmental costs of battery production.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but a one mile test strip is at best preliminary. The amount of power that would need to be transferred would be HUGE. If the amount of power contained in a Ford F-150's basic 230 mile range battery will (Ford claims) run a typical house's electrical needs for 3 days on a 40 minute charge, my mind can't comprehend the amount of electrons and how it would be billed while thousands of vehicles drive over this induction charging highway.

I can see induction charging placed along bus routes or transit terminals where they return several times per shift to extend the onboard storage batteries they presumably start the day topped off.

These are the things a research project- like ElectReon's are meant to find out.

For my part, this thread was about mobile phone charging connectors. We wandered far enough afield, so I'll drop this here and crawl back under my bridge.

Jim

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The EU also requires that smart phones, like Android, offer other search engine options besides Google. When I was working in Europe, I had DuckDuckGo as my search engine. I asked the local computer repair shop about replacing Google on the US Android and was told you cannot. Choice is good and the EU provided that on search engines.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The EU also requires that smart phones, like Android, offer other search engine options besides Google. When I was working in Europe, I had DuckDuckGo as my search engine. I asked the local computer repair shop about replacing Google on the US Android and was told you cannot. Choice is good and the EU provided that on search engines.
Couldn't someone have just downloaded a different search engine/browser?

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Microsoft was sued by Netscape navigator about this same bundling their internet explorer browser back in the 1990's

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Microsoft was sued by Netscape navigator about this same bundling their internet explorer browser back in the 1980's
I think it was actually the late 90s and into the 2000s. Was IE even developed in the 80s? The internet wasn't even mainstream yet.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Internet Explorer first came out with Windows 95.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I miss those electronic sounds sounds from my 96baud rate modem when I fired up my IBM PC with widows 98. Good times.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Slip, do you have cable modems there in Molokai?

Yes, we have our internet through Spectrum. Hawaii Telecom may come on at some point.

I don't remember my exact speeds but we dropped cable and stream exclusively with no issues. It uploads pictures and videos with no problems too.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Certainly if this law was enacted when Micro USB was the big thing, we would have seen slow progression to USB-C. I hate micro USB. I really do like USB-C and it does seem to be the future, but it has drawbacks. Licensing is more expensive than Micro USB. Why should Apple be forced to pay licensing when it has its own proprietary connector which it doesn't have to pay any licensing to use in its products? I am sure Apple also makes significant revenue from licensing out its Lighting protocol to third party accessory manufacturers.
There is no license fee per USB-C connector to pay to the USB-IF organisation. There is a fee to get a USB Vendor ID and to use the USB logo on your products but the fee is waived for USB-IF organisation members where Apple is a major member of this organisation.

The proprietary Apple Lightning connector has a license fee. So, each time a third party sells an accessory with lightning connectors, they pay a fee per connector to Apple. So, a lot of revenue for Apple and a lot of money paid for nothing by Apple customers aka iSheep.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Um, what happens when the USB-C is obsolete? USB tech changes every 5-7 years. This will simply stifle innovation.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wireless charging should still be around.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Um, what happens when the USB-C is obsolete? USB tech changes every 5-7 years. This will simply stifle innovation.
The tech can probably get better, but we will forever have the USB-C connector. They can increase transmission rate, to a limit, with the existing connector.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The tech can probably get better, but we will forever have the USB-C connector. They can increase transmission rate, to a limit, with the existing connector.
I'm sure they said the same thing about the mini-usb and micro-usb. The point is no one can accurately predict where tech will be in 5 years.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sure they said the same thing about the mini-usb and micro-usb. The point is no one can accurately predict where tech will be in 5 years. I remember when my new 20MB hard drive was more space than I would ever use ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Its about time. Hurrah
While it is good for the consumer, I am not cheering for this new legislation. The government should mind its own business. This new law isn't going to save the planet. If it saved money, wouldn't a free market have already made the change?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The EU confirmed an earlier agreement (see the opening post) on this proposal. The final vote: 602 in favor, 13 against.

I'm definitely for this but it's too late to help me. Bose, Sena, Garmin and my other ear pods all have different plug ins. The Garmin and Sena's use a larger plug while the Bose blue tooth mini boom box and Bose head phones use a smaller plug while the tablets and phones are the c type. I added outlets with a usb to charge our devices but the cords are different.

Bill

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
VHS vs BETA one tech always wins eventually in the open market.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The EU also requires that smart phones be set up so you can substitute other search engines for Google. With an Android in the US, that is not possible.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
Cliff and I share a charger. His iPhone bought in February charges on my iPhone charger from three years ago. But to use the cord that came with his phone requires separate purchase of a plug to fit it. My memory says that was $40, but if even half that amount I am incensed that a $600 phone requires the purchase of a plug to charge.
I agree. I also bought the $40 charger. It’s actually the fast charger so that was worth it to me. But going to the new USB cord on the wrong side was rather dumb.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
VHS vs BETA one tech always wins eventually in the open market.
Not always the best one. There is pretty much agreement that Beta was superior technology to VHS. Moot point, though. They're both obsolete. Dinosaurs. Extinct. (pardon me. I have one- I'm a dinosaur too.