• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Estes Park, CO being evacuated

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
At 2:30 today, evacuation orders went out for residents in Estes Park, CO due to a wildfire that started around Grand Lake a week ago. It crossed the continents in divide in Rocky Mountain National Park and looks like it could burn through most of the popular areas of the park on its way toward Estes Park. Scary and sad.

Kurt

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That is awful. I am watching to see what happens with the park and the wildlife.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds too much like the 1988 Yellowstone fires, except the Colorado forests affected have large stands of beetle killed timber. The continental divide through Rocky Mountain National Park is above treeline -- mostly just tundra and rock. The fire must have crossed what should have been at least a miles-wide natural fire line.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of it is below. The Milner pass trailhead is on the divide. But not below by much...it’s not a bad hike from there up to the Alpine visitor center, about the final third of that is above.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Seeing the news makes me sick. As a Californian, I can feel your pain. Wishing nothing but the best for all of Colorado, but especially those who are in the path of the fires.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes there is just no fighting them. Just get out of the way and pray for snow. Stay safe!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sometimes there is just no fighting them. Just get out of the way and pray for snow. Stay safe!

They are supposed to get snow this weekend.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of it is below. The Milner pass trailhead is on the divide. But not below by much...it’s not a bad hike from there up to the Alpine visitor center, about the final third of that is above.
From the incident mapping, it appears the fire crossed the Divide at Sprague Pass where the east and west slope forests are separated by more than a mile. Unbelievable. If it continues its march eastward, it will pass through Moraine Park and on to the Beaver Meadows entrance.

The weather forecast is for west winds 20-30 mph with gusts to 60 mph beginning tonight and running through tomorrow. This could get really bad.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
It was very dark, just like around 7 PM and smoke everywhere. Congested roads, very slow Traffic towards Loveland/ Ft Collins. We decided to go South towards Blackhawk/ Idaho Springs and turned West on I 70. Now we are just catching every new info there is. Fingers crossed our house will be waiting for us.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was very dark, just like around 7 PM and smoke everywhere. Congested roads, very slow Traffic towards Loveland/ Ft Collins. We decided to go South towards Blackhawk/ Idaho Springs and turned West on I 70. Now we are just catching every new info there is. Fingers crossed our house will be waiting for us.
Holding our fingers crossed for you. Wishing you good news!

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hugs to you. Been there in 2003 and 2007, although somehow our neighborhood was missed when the evacuation orders went into effect in 2007 and since it was chaos leaving our community and since we face east and could see the fire we stayed home and kept an eye on things. No issues and it was actually much, much worse in 2003, so 2007 didn't really faze us. When there is so much smoke that it gets dark it is the scariest, creepiest feeling every. Are you having high winds too?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@krteczech, watching the news leaves a pit in my stomach. I can't imagine having to deal with what you're going through. We used to live in a canyon along the WA/ID border, and fires were very scary. We were so rural that I used my truck to fill up water tanks for local volunteer firefighters. Watching fires flare all around your propery is such a helpless feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your neighbors.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We evacuated EP at 1:42 PM on Thursday. We are safe now and hoping for safe return soon.
So, how did it work out? Are you back home? Has the weather beaten down the fires?

Jim

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Silverado II, CO
We are safe and comfortable and following all news. Sheriff is pretty good communicator. it started to snow early this morning and by now they accumulated about 7”. Part of Estes Park is now downgraded to voluntary evacuation and people who returned are warned about being ready for possible one hour Mandatory evacuation.
Only four wheel drive cars are allowed to EP and hwy 34, 36 and 7 are being slowly plowed. With awaited snow the temperature dropped to 2F and many residents are concerned about frozen pipes etc. We are not in rush to return, instead we are celebrating my birthday at peaceful Aspen, CO. We will wait until all roads are clear. I understand there is around 3500 firefighters there from as far as Puerto Rico and some of those guys are experiencing snow first time. Stay safe, stay healthy and take time to vote!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The snow is a godsend. We prayed for snow in the mountains. Too bad we had to get it in the Denver area, too.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was telling @Michael Coley on Facebook that masks are kind of nice to wear when it's this cold outside. We went to Walmart before the storm started, it was 18 degrees, and it was one time I was grateful for my cloth Disney mask. We just got back from Disney World, where the temps were warm and we were barely able to take the masks. Then we get this snow. Brrrr...

We definitely do need the moisture.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Silverado II, CO
Evacuation orders were lifted and we returned to Estes Park, CO. Local hospital, Post office and most of shops are still dormant. Keep your fingers crossed for RMNP and small towns surrounding it.