• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Essential businesses and senior hours, did anyone even think out the issues?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
First, It just occurred to me, the big companies, Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Costco, etc. will just get stronger during this crisis making it even harder for the smaller businesses to survive. Except for Amazon which is online only, the others are open and sell other items that are not considered essential thus many people go to them plus more spreading of the virus can occur.

Second, I have a friend who works for Home Depot and says there are lots of people in the store everyday shopping for non essentials which are available in the store. He says many people are coming, as a leisure activity and this is in Florida. When the government closes down most shopping to stop the spread this is just an example of easy spreading . Whereas I realize there are supplies needed a Phone in or online order for curbside pickup would make sure you can get what is really needed without the social contact.

Senior hours, in my area, are actually having many more people then if you went another time plus senior discounts offered once a week also produces many more people.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Yep. Lowe’s worker reported that Garden sept was much busier and asked if getting mulch was worth risking her life.
dh wants to paint while at home for 30+ days. Local small store will mix and put outside when he pulls up and pays by cc over the phone. They have to stay open as they’re deemed essential. So we can support them and not add any risk vs going into HD.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The issue of what is essential vs non-essential is a hot one. I just read in the Washington Post article below that Amazon workers are protesting having to fulfill non essential orders (see excerpt from article and video below). You are right that the stores like Home Depot and others that sell non-essential items encourage people to go out unnecessarily as a leisure activity and spend more time in stores than needed, thereby putting their employees’ lives at risk. What is essential varies in every state and the article points out that there are political dimensions to deciding.

“Is it essential to keep ordering more stuff, especially when the essential stuff, like thermometers, is back-ordered until June? Amazon warehouse workers in Michigan walked off the job Wednesday, requesting that the facility be closed. They protested filling nonessential orders and, in a video that went viral, sex toys in particular.”

“Amazon told The Washington Post in a statement that “we’re not stopping or slowing down orders where we already have stock and where those orders do not prevent us from shipping priority items.” (Amazon founder and chief executive Jeff Bezos owns The Post.)”

Here’s a Twitter post with the video by an Amazon employee. It’s a ”must see“ LOL. It certainly makes the point!

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised these stores are open and so many people out when they should be home. Home repair places are closed in Portugal.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You know we're all supposed to be staying home and keeping ourselves occupied. This should be a perfect time to do all of those home improvement and home repairs that we've been putting off. In my opinion, there needs to be some way to get those materials.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Bezos should do several shifts in his warehouses...

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Agree @Luanne, it seems like a catch 22.

They are cracking down on the big box stores around here (in Nebraska). My sister in Massachusetts says they were closing areas of WalMart (the areas considered non-essential) to curtail the non-essential shopping.

Personally, I was so hoping we can get flowers to plant in the next few weeks. I was thinking my yard would look the best it has in years. But, of course, can see that that is non-essential.

Our garbage collection has put a 4 bag limit on yard waste. Garbage volume is up 10% and they are preparing for some of their workers to be ill.

And I wonder for some seniors, how helpful is a 7am hour to shop? That's pretty early for some seniors (for some people, let alone seniors).

geekette

Reaction score
.... And I wonder for some seniors, how helpful is a 7am hour to shop? That's pretty early for some seniors (for some people, let alone seniors).

Yes! Why do they think older people are early birds??

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Bezos should do several shifts in his warehouses...
I agree. He should see how tough that job is. The pay is low, the expectations are high, and he requires a certain amount of volume per employee. He is a slave driver.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Home Depot and Lowe's are essential to us. Rick has to remodel the townhouse to get it sold or rented. Drywall, carpet, paint, tile, etc., those are all on my shopping list. Where would we go, if not those two places?

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
.... And I wonder for some seniors, how helpful is a 7am hour to shop? That's pretty early for some seniors (for some people, let alone seniors).

By the amount of people on senior days:hour many. My other half goes Friday morning, non senior time, when the grocery opens. This week only 4 people were waiting. We figure store was cleaned overnight, restocked, and Friday morning seems to be the least busy.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I personally am glad they are open and I am not a shopper. I am also happy to be able to order whatever I want on line.

Yesterday I ordered a dehumidifier because the humidity level goes up here now in NH and our basement, despite the radon mitigtaion system we put in, is over 60%. We could have went to Lowes but Amazon had one. It was Prime but they said we wouldn't get it until April 20th. ok. Lo and behold- today the Fed Ex truck pulls up with it! So I am happy to not have to wait until this nightmare is over with and not have mold growing in the basement of our new house.

Now if only the toilet paper I ordered would do the same, Supposed to get it sometime in May! LOL But I got an email from Amazon saying the seller is no longer on Amazon and not sure if I will get it or not.

This said, I have no issues going into a store for some of these things, but I do try not to if I can. I need clothes desperately. All clothes. Everything really. My sneakers have a hole in them and I most certainly need them for my walks and exercise. I have not bought clothes in many years and I held off because I had so many other things going on that took priority. Figured I would shop once settled here in NH.

Yes- I would go to even Job Lot or Walmart to get sneakers or clothes if I have to but would try Amazon or another online retailer first. Next on my list but have been still holding off. At some point I have to get some things.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I think they are just trying to set aside a special time for seniors before the stores open for the general public. I doubt they are assuming seniors are early birds. I am not an early bird and doubt I will become one when I turn 60 or 65.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Home Depot and Lowe's are essential to us. Rick has to remodel the townhouse to get it sold or rented. Drywall, carpet, paint, tile, etc., is all on my shopping list. Where would we go, if not those two places?

Not just to your post but to others "wait until after this passes". No need to do all that now. Essentials are stuff that needs to be done now. This is part of the reason why there are so many new cases.

Brett

Reaction score
I think they are just trying to set aside a special time for seniors before the stores open for the general public. I doubt they are assuming seniors are early birds. I am not an early bird and doubt I will become when when I turn 60 or 65.

right, the "early bird" is more for eating the discounted dinner early .. :)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Home Depot and Lowe's are essential to us. Rick has to remodel the townhouse to get it sold or rented. Drywall, carpet, paint, tile, etc., is all on my shopping list. Where would we go, if not those two places?

This is not meant to be critical because Home Depot is open so I do not blame you for shopping for needed items for remodeling. But selling or renting a townhouse is not an essential activity. Right now, all real estate open houses are shut down in California. It is not considered essential. This is no different than business shut downs. I could argue that keeping my business open is essential because it is essential to me but that is not how it works. The government decides. And we also need to be respectful of other people and the risk that we are exposing them to. While I have been critical of all the mass business shutdowns, I am still doing my part to stay home and have closed my office because I could not live with the guilt I would feel if I put my needs above others and someone got sick as a result.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep. Lowe’s worker reported that Garden sept was much busier and asked if getting mulch was worth risking her life.
dh wants to paint while at home for 30+ days. Local small store will mix and put outside when he pulls up and pays by cc over the phone. They have to stay open as they’re deemed essential. So we can support them and not add any risk vs going into HD.
Curbside pickup like this would be the way to go. Would stop the leisure trips and keep the essential workers and their families safer.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This is not meant to be critical because Home Depot is open so I do not blame you for shopping for needed items for remodeling. But selling or renting a townhouse is not an essential activity. Right now, all real estate open houses are shut down in California. It is not considered essential. This is no different than business shut downs. I could argue that keeping my business open is essential because it is essential to me but that is not how it works. The government decides. And we also need to be respectful of other people and the risk that we are exposing them to. While I have been critical of all the mass business shutdowns, I am still doing my part to stay home and have closed my office because I could not live with the guilt I would feel if I put my needs above others and someone got sick as a result.
While open houses may be shut down, realtors are still considered essential. There are virtual open houses being held. I know several people who are moving during this time as things were put into motion before the shut downs.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You know we're all supposed to be staying home and keeping ourselves occupied. This should be a perfect time to do all of those home improvement and home repairs that we've been putting off. In my opinion, there needs to be some way to get those materials.
Curbside pickup with phone or online orders orders can give those who what to work on home improvements their items and keep crowds down.

geekette

Reaction score
But 7am is probably when the store is best stocked and the cleanest it will be all day.
Yes. Around here "senior hours" are also for immuno-compromised folks.

My mother is not an early bird so she won't be making senior hours. My brother reports that she is not staying home.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Curbside pickup with phone or online orders orders can give those who what to work on home improvements their items and keep crowds down.
I'm all for order online and curbside pick up. But I've also been in Lowe's or Home Depot (not currently) with dh when he's been looking for that "gadget" or just the right size "thing a ma jig" he needs to fix something.

geekette

Reaction score
I'm all for order online and curbside pick up. But I've also been in Lowe's or Home Depot (not currently) with dh when he's been looking for that "gadget" or just the right size "thing a ma jig" he needs to fix something.
yeah, and sometimes I need their expert guidance.

You can't always just order something online. You'd have to know exactly what you need.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While open houses may be shut down, realtors are still considered essential. There are virtual open houses being held. I know several people who are moving during this time as things were put into motion before the shut downs.

I don’t think realtors are considered essential. They are working from home and doing virtual open houses. All in-person open houses in California are banned. I know because we were trying to buy a new house right as this crisis started. We backed out and lost a huge deposit. But the house has been posted on MLS and Zillow with virtual staging. Just because virtual open houses are allowed does not mean that the industry is considered essential. I am a health care provider and my office is shut down but I am working via video. My profession is deemed non essential but I can still work via video. I am surprised that movers are still working. I guess if you already sold your house and need to move into the new one, that would be considered essential because you might be homeless otherwise. However, if you have not yet bought and sold a house, I can’t see how that could be considered essential. In California, that would not happen since no one can see new properties in person unless they are secretly breaking the SIP order. I would not put this past some people, though. No one is actually enforcing the SIP order so it is easy to get around it.

In NY, realtors are also considered non-essential:

This is a good quote from someone in real estate industry:
Serhant also said that he agrees with the closure of non-essential services, including residential real estate brokerage. He pointed to thousands of service industry workers losing their jobs, saying, “If they’re not allowed to go to work, I don’t think we should be able to go to work either.”

Another quote from the article:
“We’re saying, No showings,” Freedman said. “No, Leonard, I still wouldn’t say it’s a moral obligation. Now it’s mandated. Everyone has an obligation legally to hold off.”

I do not get why people think they are special and an exception to the stay at home orders. We all have to do what we are asked to do to save lives, whether we agree or not, and whether it erodes our income or not. Personally, I am not on board with the broad stay-at-home orders but I am complying and closed my office because it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here where I live there are 4 new homes being built. Construction is considered essential and I agree.