• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Essential businesses and senior hours, did anyone even think out the issues?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
One of my daughters is having a house built, it's supposed to be ready in August. Her contract says she has to have her current home on the market by June 1st. They were going to move in here in May 1 (when she goes back to work from maternity leave and I was supposed to watch her kids). We've not been seeing our grandkids and the plan was to move in with us. Then they were going to fix the house up to get it on the market. So many balls in the air! She may stay in her home longer and is trying to get the June 1 date out of the contract. Even though I didn't see realtors as essential on the site someone posted earlier, I thought they were in Nebraska. Then again, we are one of the few states that don't have a stay-at-home rule in place (but guessing there will be one very soon) so maybe we don't have to declare things essential, yet?

It's over my head if it'll be a good thing or a bad thing (to have bought a house but still need to sell the old one). My gut is saying probably not the best, but I think they'll be okay (should at least get a good interest rate on the new one). The current one is a starter home, so hopefully still a market for them. I'd like to do whatever we can to help them get it on the market asap, but have to weigh the coronavirus risks. We'll see!

My step mother was out of sanitary wipes (she's 88). I took some to her (she's 45 miles away) because there is no way she'll ever be up at 7am to go shopping. And, yes, I realize she shouldn't be shopping at all, but she won't stop.

I realize everyone has unique situations. A lot of hardship for a lot people. Sure hope we see the curve flatten soon. Hopeful the antibody testing will be available soon, I think that will help, too. And hopefully finally doing more testing (although Nebraska is till way behind). But I do think until a vaccine is available, life is going to very different for all of us.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
My husband had to go to Home Depot yesterday. He said that there were a lot of people who appeared to be window shopping. They all kept the social distance, but he said way more people there than he was expecting.

On Friday, I went to the grocery store to get a few days worth of fresh food. There were so many people milling around. I think I just went at a really bad time. I wanted apples and was never able to get some because there were always other people at the apples. I didn't want to spend an hour in the store waiting for a chance to get some apples. I was thinking that if I was the manager at the store, I'd have a set path that the shoppers would need to take, rather than have people chaotically zig zagging all over the place trying to keep social distance while desperately trying to get to the items that they came in for.
One legitimate reason there may be people appearing to mill around could be they aren’t used to shopping and don’t know where things are. I know our daughter is grocery shopping for us now and she very rarely went to the grocery store before this. Now, she is very insistent that if we need anything, she’ll go get it. She texts and calls us several times to make sure she’s getting the right items. I know that’s not an excuse for everybody but it is true in our case.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Who gets to decide what’s essential? I just ordered some headbands, bobbie pins, buttons , a travel sewing kit from Amazon. Doesn’t sound essential but I need these items to keep ALL my hair up and off my face. I also plan to add the buttons to the headband to hold my mask on for a more comfortable fit.

A note on Amazon says due to Covid 19 the headbands won’t arrive till April 24 th since they are prioritizing shipments but really how does it make sense to deliver to the same address 3 separate times for 1 order :wall:

I have been wondering if they still make the kind of headbands I had as a girl -- hard plastic, U-shaped. I rummaged around to see if I still had a "sweat band style" elastic head band, but didn't find one. Since I have short hair I think the U-shape will be better than something that goes around my head and remains visible at the back of my neck. I have it on my list for the next time we go to CVS.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Construction and gardening are not considered essential in CA. Construction was until a few days ago. The only construction now allowed is for safety maintenance and getting ongoing home and commercial construction to a point where it can be safely shut down. The problem is the healthcare system is seeing more and more COVID-19 positive gardeners and construction workers. It's not just the 'well they work by themselves and aren't close to me so what's the problem...they're essential'. NO they are not.

Edit to add: They interact with so many other people during the course of the day, suppliers, getting gas, driving in together, on and on.

Ingrid

Our gardener was here on March 27 as expected, and last week there was a gardener nextdoor and across the street. Will be interesting to see if they stop working -- I'd just figured they were outside, our gardener works with his wife and son, and social distancing wasn't an issue. We haven't been out since the 31st, but there sure were lots of cars on the move that day.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Senior hours, in my area, are actually having many more people then if you went another time plus senior discounts offered once a week also produces many more people.

As I'm an early riser I head over to my neighborhood Target or Tom Thumb (a grocery store) right at 7 am when they open. Every time I have been one of less than 10 customers in the store. The one negative is that sometimes employees are stocking when I get there and a couple of times one or more of the items I am looking for isn't yet on the shelves. All in all shopping at the crack of dawn has worked well for me...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One legitimate reason there may be people appearing to mill around could be they aren’t used to shopping and don’t know where things are. I know our daughter is grocery shopping for us now and she very rarely went to the grocery store before this. Now, she is very insistent that if we need anything, she’ll go get it. She texts and calls us several times to make sure she’s getting the right items. I know that’s not an excuse for everybody but it is true in our case.

Like me. Just moved here and tried 3 supermarkets to see what they are like and still not used to them- where everything is and so forth. People might be doing the same if they can’t find what they need at their regular store and have to venture to another one they are not used to.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Our gardener was here on March 27 as expected, and last week there was a gardener nextdoor and across the street. Will be interesting to see if they stop working -- I'd just figured they were outside, our gardener works with his wife and son, and social distancing wasn't an issue. We haven't been out since the 31st, but there sure were lots of cars on the move that day.

Gardner is next door at his normal time, so I looked it up and he's OK to be working. Looks like we could call a handyman, and we've got a list going, but I don't want someone in our house at this point. Looks like I could have painting done if the handyman does it! We need to get our exterior metal railings scraped and painted, but will call our painter when this passes. Figure we'll get the outside done, and wait to have the inside walls painted and repaired (thanks to JB Orange Cat) just before putting the house on the market. Who knows when that will be at this point.

Essential Businesses That Can Stay Open -- City of Los Angeles
Gas service stations, auto supply, auto repair, bicycle repair shops and related facilities.

Health care operations, including: Hospitals, Clinics, Dentists, Pharmacies, Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, Medical and scientific research, Laboratories, Healthcare suppliers, Home healthcare services providers, Mental health providers, Physical therapists and chiropractors. Healthcare operations does NOT include fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities

Veterinary care providers

Cannabis dispensaries, or any related and/or ancillary healthcare services

Manufacturers and suppliers

Food providers, including: Restaurants offering take-out, delivery or drive-thru (No dine-in service), Grocery stores & Supermarkets, Water retailers, Certified farmers’ markets, Farm and produce stands, Supermarkets, Convenience stores, Warehouse stores, Food banks, Convenience stores

Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services (including gang prevention and intervention, domestic violence and homeless services agencies)

Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing

Pet supply stores

Hardware and building supply stores and nurseries.

Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities.

Construction of commercial and institutional buildings, and residential buildings and housing

Banks, credit unions, financial institutions and insurance companies.

Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes.

Laundromats/laundry service

Newspapers, magazines, television, radio, podcasts and other media services

Educational institutions, including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities -- for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible.

Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home.

Utility companies and other businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support, services, or supplies necessary to operate, provided that strict social distancing is maintained.

Individuals or businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, beverages or goods directly to residences or businesses, including rail and trucking.

Airlines, taxis, ride sharing services, and other private transportation services providing transportation services necessary for essential activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order.

Home-based care for disabled persons, seniors, adults, or children.

Residential facilities and shelters for disabled persons, seniors, adults, and children.

Professional services, such as legal, payroll or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities.

Hotels, motels, shared rental units and similar facilities.

Military/Defense Contractors/FFRDC (Federally Funded Research and Development Centers)

Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted, under restrictions contained in the Order.

Non essential businesses can continue to conduct operations online, by phone or by allowing employees to work from home.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
... ...• Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities... ...

Our county's order reads the same. Their FAQ states that these vendors can only provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities. ROUTINE maintenance is not permitted. So if routine maint., no landscapers, gardeners, painters, handymen, etc.

Perhaps it's county specific rather than state specific. I tried to google to find clarity but gave up.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Gardner is next door at his normal time, so I looked it up and he's OK to be working. Looks like we could call a handyman, and we've got a list going, but I don't want someone in our house at this point. Looks like I could have painting done if the handyman does it! We need to get our exterior metal railings scraped and painted, but will call our painter when this passes. Figure we'll get the outside done, and wait to have the inside walls painted and repaired (thanks to JB Orange Cat) just before putting the house on the market. Who knows when that will be at this point.

Essential Businesses That Can Stay Open -- City of Los Angeles
Gas service stations, auto supply, auto repair, bicycle repair shops and related facilities.

Health care operations, including: Hospitals, Clinics, Dentists, Pharmacies, Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, Medical and scientific research, Laboratories, Healthcare suppliers, Home healthcare services providers, Mental health providers, Physical therapists and chiropractors. Healthcare operations does NOT include fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities

Veterinary care providers

Cannabis dispensaries, or any related and/or ancillary healthcare services

Manufacturers and suppliers

Food providers, including: Restaurants offering take-out, delivery or drive-thru (No dine-in service), Grocery stores & Supermarkets, Water retailers, Certified farmers’ markets, Farm and produce stands, Supermarkets, Convenience stores, Warehouse stores, Food banks, Convenience stores

Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services (including gang prevention and intervention, domestic violence and homeless services agencies)

Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing

Pet supply stores

Hardware and building supply stores and nurseries.

Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities.

Construction of commercial and institutional buildings, and residential buildings and housing

Banks, credit unions, financial institutions and insurance companies.

Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes.

Laundromats/laundry service

Newspapers, magazines, television, radio, podcasts and other media services

Educational institutions, including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities -- for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible.

Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home.

Utility companies and other businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support, services, or supplies necessary to operate, provided that strict social distancing is maintained.

Individuals or businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, beverages or goods directly to residences or businesses, including rail and trucking.

Airlines, taxis, ride sharing services, and other private transportation services providing transportation services necessary for essential activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order.

Home-based care for disabled persons, seniors, adults, or children.

Residential facilities and shelters for disabled persons, seniors, adults, and children.

Professional services, such as legal, payroll or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities.

Hotels, motels, shared rental units and similar facilities.

Military/Defense Contractors/FFRDC (Federally Funded Research and Development Centers)

Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted, under restrictions contained in the Order.

Non essential businesses can continue to conduct operations online, by phone or by allowing employees to work from home.

Wow, this list is long and exhaustive. Makes it seem almost like business as usual in LA. There is also a State of California list that appears to be more restrictive.

From what I can see in Northern California, people are taking this really seriously and anyone who can work from home is doing so. The State says the health care profession should prioritize sick patients and use telemedicine when possible. That is not stated on the LA list. The LA list says dentists can stay open but the State list says they should close. The dentists in Northern California are canceling all appointments. I assume they might make an exception for a dental emergency.

The County of Santa Clara (where I have my office) also has their own Shelter in Place order.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My dentist just canceled an April 18th procedure.

The LA NBC News just busted a bunch of city/county work crews not wearing masks or practicing social distancing. One idiot called the reporter a dumb**s on camera for asking about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My understanding is that the state (CA) orders rule. Local jurisdictions can impose stricter orders, but not more lenient that the state's orders.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My understanding is that the state (CA) orders rule. Local jurisdictions can impose stricter orders, but not more lenient that the state's orders.
That may be, but most likely it is the local authorities that enforce the orders, so they may be more inclined to enforce the local orders.

Kurt

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That may be, but most likely it is the local authorities that enforce the orders, so they may be more inclined to enforce the local orders.

Kurt

True. They are starting to issue citations in my as well as surrounding counties.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
They won’t be selling it for more money, probably much less. Real Estate will be affected as part of the economy.

I think they think it will sell for more since they put it on the market for more. Personally, I think that was a mistake. If I were them, I would have put it back on at an attractive price where I could sell it quickly since they have our deposit to help compensate them for the difference. Our agent thinks it will sell quickly and possibly for more than asking. She said there is less inventory now and the demand is still there. I wouldn’t be surprised if he sells it during the shelter in place since agents are still sneaking around the restrictions and showing properties. But we shall see. I will be interested in the outcome and tracking it. Once it sells, the price is public.

End result: They sold for more.

Who would have guessed a real estate boom during Covid? My real estate agent did and she was right.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
End result: They sold for more.

Who would have guessed a real estate boom during Covid? My real estate agent did and she was right.
Didn’t make sense but happened. The Covid might have made people say why am I waiting? Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I know it made me reevaluate my life.

I do see more inventory hitting the market now in areas I am familiar with. Seeing some price decreases too. At some point the market will adjust.