• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Escape from Vidanta

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Below is a photo of what I believe is the gate (escape route) that Eric refers to...maybe? This gate is located between the Grand Mayan (Copan building) and the beach. Of course the problem is that both the door and the turnstile are locked...can't go through in either direction. The gate is at the edge of Vindanta property. You can see the condominium building behind the gate. There is a wire fence (about 14 gage wire for those of you with wire cutters) on both sides of the gate that extends the length of the property.

My wife and I spent some time digging around in the undergrowth of tropical jungle vegetation looking for a way to sneak through the fence, but no luck. As we popped out of the jungle back onto the walkway, a couple passing by stopped and asked "Are you trying to escape?" When we answered yes, they said they had been looking for 3 days and could not find a way out.:)

It would be interesting to know more of the background about this gate. It would be easy to station a security guard at the gate to check wristbands if they are concerned about outsiders coming in.

Walking up the beach to the Sea Garden is the only way to get a bus to Mega or downtown PV. Go through the front lobby and around the corner to the left of the Sea Garden and there is a bus stop and taxi stand. Sure would be nice if Vindanta had even ONE location where you could get a bus. We walked up the beach several times to the bus stop, but it's kind of a pain in the neck.

vindanta_escape_gate2.jpg

That's actually the gate between the Grand Mayan and the adjacent Mayan Island condominiums that were developed by Vidanta. The folks that bought those directly from Mayan Island have access to use the Grand Mayan pools; there's another condo building over by GL Tower 5 where I've seen listings on VRBO saying that they have access to the Mayan Palace pools. I believe the "little gate" was near the golf course somewhere and I've heard rumors they may open it again. We'll be back down there at the end of May and check it out; will try to post the location if it is open.

BTW, Vidanta does have at least one property where you can catch a bus - the Mayan Palace at Puerto Vallarta, which is actually in the Marina Vallarta area. The bus to downtown Puerto Vallarta stops across the street from the front door (no gate) and is simple to go out and catch. Not as cushy as the Grand Luxxe, of course, or as well located as Buganvilias, but convenient to the Marina Vallarta Thursday market in the high season and actually a decent place to go.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I was very impressed by the Thursday market this past February 21st at the marina in PV. The variety of stalls was incredible from food to many types of goods. The walkways were packed with tourists and I am sure foreign residents from the surrounding area. Another good reason to use the MP at the marina in PV. The only negative I find at the MP in PV is the lack of wifi in the rooms. There is wifi available in the lobby area, and a popular spot for many all hours of the day and night.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
That was pretty much my impression of the wifi. Cell reception was fine, though (with Sprint) and I got by using a personal hotspot. I'm not sure how much of the year the market runs for; I did meet a local fellow that makes pasta and sells it there and to local restaurants; he spent about five years living in Italy, so speaks Italian as well as English and Spanish. Good sauces, too.

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
I am not diminishing the difficulty in getting off the property, and we leave the property typically several times during the week. But, just go to the taxi stand and take a taxi. It is more expensive and takes some time if you go North (because you have to start out towards PV and then turn around). It is not as if Vidanta has the property on lock down. I would much prefer to simply walk out, but you can get out if needed.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Taxi is always an option, of course. Seems like overkill to run out to OXXO for a little shopping, though, or to just be able to walk out in town or go to a local restaurant.

rpennisi

Reaction score
That was pretty much my impression of the wifi. Cell reception was fine, though (with Sprint) and I got by using a personal hotspot. I'm not sure how much of the year the market runs for; I did meet a local fellow that makes pasta and sells it there and to local restaurants; he spent about five years living in Italy, so speaks Italian as well as English and Spanish. Good sauces, too.
We ate at Tramonto last January at NV. The bolognese sauce was terrific. I asked the waiter if the chef was Italian. He was Mexican, very impressive.

KathyAH475

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
DVC
MVC
The jail break from RM is in many ways easier than NV as it provides ready access to frequent collectivos plying the highway.

The egress begins from Lobby Central, which is easily walkable but also served by two shuttle routes.

The ‘LC’ route originates from the lobby, travels along the GM jungle units to the transfer station and doubling back from the jungle units to the lobby (thus from the GB or GM jungle this line is effective to ride in a reverse commute direction, away from the beach).

The ‘LCE’ is an express route traveling from the transfer station to Lobby Central, without stops and paralleling the walkways along the golf course (the preferred path for most walkers as it passes right by the exit).

Once at Lobby Central, walk through the lobby and bear left. Do not cross under the overpass. Stay to the left and a 5-minute walk leads to the exit.

What I believe is a concession by the Chavez Familia is this path—though without walkways—is the only road absent of the ‘no hay pasar’ logo.

If you are making this trek in the morning be prepared to be quizzed by staff fearful you are meeting an outside TS rep and eager to match whatever offer they misconceive. Never an intervention in the afternoon.

Once freed, my preferred destination in recent years has been north to Puerto Morelos, closer and easier to access, without the mad dash across the highway southbound to PdC.

The collectivo stops on the highway directly opposite the main gate. For 25 pesos I can leave my room and be in PM in less than 30 minutes. The Chedaraui supermarket on the highway at the main PM stop is tough to beat for a supply run. (And for a half day out or more the restaurants are on par with PdC and 20 buck snorkel tours to the reef can’t be beat).

Additionally, access from the Joya side of the highway is possible late afternoon and evening with shuttles serving the show. I’m unsure, but there seems to be two entrances, for public access and personal (for the show).

I’ve always ended up at the personal access but have been able to persuade the guard to flag down a deadheading golf cart to shuttle me through the tunnel under the highway—avoiding the mad dash across it—and, usually, right to my doorstep.

Oh my goodness, this is what I was hoping to be able to do but haven't tried yet. I want to be sure I understand: I won't have to cross that horrid street to get to the collectivo to PM or back? I had a panic attack while crossing it and will never do that again!