• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Equity trades: Points vs. dollars

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you make an equity trade, do you get credit for the number of points you trade in, or for the dollars you originally spent?

I'm grandfathered silver VIP, thinking of enrolling two PIC weeks to reach gold. Since this requires a small developer purchase, I'm considering what else to attempt as part of the deal. One option could be trading equity into resorts where I'd rather own.

If Wyndham trades point for point as long as you buy some fresh points at the same time, I could see some value in this. But if they say, "We see you spent X dollars on your current ownership, so you get X dollars in trade-in credit," that's fairly worthless to me. I didn't spend much for what I currently own, so it would be more valuable to keep it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you make an equity trade, do you get credit for the number of points you trade in, or for the dollars you originally spent?

I'm grandfathered silver VIP, thinking of enrolling two PIC weeks to reach gold. Since this requires a small developer purchase, I'm considering what else to attempt as part of the deal. One option could be trading equity into resorts where I'd rather own.

If Wyndham trades point for point as long as you buy some fresh points at the same time, I could see some value in this. But if they say, "We see you spent X dollars on your current ownership, so you get X dollars in trade-in credit," that's fairly worthless to me. I didn't spend much for what I currently own, so it would be more valuable to keep it.
Only thing you should count on is their math will never work in your favor!

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
When I did a trade, it was a 1 for 1 on the points. One thing to consider is you don't get bonus points if you trade. The small purchase is 49,000 per PIC week, so you'd need a minimum of 98,000 for two. Sometimes, the price between 98,000 and 105,000 is not that big. I might be off a little bit on this, but the discounts start at 64,000 points. Smaller packages do not get discounts (or they are not supposed to). 105,000 get a bigger discount than people buying 64,000 points. Also, if you don't already know, telesales is typically cheaper than the resorts, but they only sell CWA (at last check). So if you trade, you are trading for CWA which might have a higher base maintenance fee than what you are paying now. Keep that in mind when trading. You do not want to trade for CWA if you own at a resort such as Panama City, Las Vegas, National Harbor, Bali Hai, Canterbury, etc. If you want to buy deeded, you have to go to the resort. Some places can sell points at other resorts within their state, but they cannot typically sell points outside their state. The deeded points may cost more at places Like national Harbor, Panama City, Canterbury, and Bali Hai because of their low maintenance fees. Clearwater, Bonnet creek, and Midtown might cost more because of their popularity.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Only thing you should count on is their math will never work in your favor!

This is true. The OP should disregard anything they scribble on paper because it's usually meant to confuse the buyer. Only go by what's in the contract. If they make any claims that cannot be substantiated by the directory, those should be taken with a ginormous grain of salt. I mean like boulder size grain of salt. As far as the directory goes, remember, program rules are subject to change at any time.

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is great advice! I live within a couple hours of FF Glade, so I'll probably check out whether they still do piggybacks. In a few weeks I'll be visiting Bali Hai, which could be a good place to own, not just for the low MF but also because I anticipate frequent travels to Kauai.

I also have the name of someone who called me randomly a few weeks ago to try to sell me more points. (I assume "corporate account manager" = "telesales.")

It'll be interesting to see which of these will offer the best terms.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Thanks, this is great advice! I live within a couple hours of FF Glade, so I'll probably check out whether they still do piggybacks. In a few weeks I'll be visiting Bali Hai, which could be a good place to own, not just for the low MF but also because I anticipate frequent travels to Kauai.

I also have the name of someone who called me randomly a few weeks ago to try to sell me more points. (I assume "corporate account manager" = "telesales.")

Keep in mind, telesales are restricted more than resorts. Meaning if they know you are at a resort, they cannot help you. It would be considered poaching. The resorts however have no problem with poaching. They can claim ignorance and that you didn't tell them they were working with telesales. I recommend getting a quote from telesales before heading to the resorts. Then compare. Do not let them know you talked to telesales. I'm one of those people that doesn't negotiate or try to use someone else as leverage. I tell salespeople they get one chance to give me their best price. If I don't like it, I walk. It saves both of us a ton of time. I did this when I bought my last car. I already had an idea of what I might be spending. Their first and only offer was under that number, so I took the deal. One other thing. Telesales has specials every month. So if you get a quote in May, and come back in June, the deal may be different. I know all of this because I have my own contacts. Only mine isn't trying to sell me anything because I'm on the do not sell list. lol

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Richelle! Do you know if telesales has territories? So this person who called me might be assigned to the region where I live, resorts where I own, or accounts the vintage of mine, for example?

FLTravs

Reaction score
Keep in mind, telesales are restricted more than resorts. Meaning if they know you are at a resort, they cannot help you. It would be considered poaching. The resorts however have no problem with poaching. They can claim ignorance and that you didn't tell them they were working with telesales. I recommend getting a quote from telesales before heading to the resorts. Then compare. Do not let them know you talked to telesales. I'm one of those people that doesn't negotiate or try to use someone else as leverage. I tell salespeople they get one chance to give me their best price. If I don't like it, I walk. It saves both of us a ton of time. I did this when I bought my last car. I already had an idea of what I might be spending. Their first and only offer was under that number, so I took the deal. One other thing. Telesales has specials every month. So if you get a quote in May, and come back in June, the deal may be different. I know all of this because I have my own contacts. Only mine isn't trying to sell me anything because I'm on the do not sell list. lol

I do the exact same thing. Give me your best price and if I like it, we're in business.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I’d be very curious to know if FFG still does piggybacks. I just checked in with my contact at Edisto over the weekend and was told they have shut down the piggyback contract program at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Thanks, Richelle! Do you know if telesales has territories? So this person who called me might be assigned to the region where I live, resorts where I own, or accounts the vintage of mine, for example?

Yea they do sort of have territories, as there are at least two telesales centers - maybe three. I know there is one in Orlando, one in Vegas and I believe there is one in Washington state still. They divvy up the incoming leads according to the first letter in your last name or something along that line. My rep was technically in Washington state - but the rep I worked with was actually in Orlando since I was referred by someone else to that specific rep. Not sure if they still honor referrals for specific reps though.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I’d be very curious to know if FFG still does piggybacks. I just checked in with my contact at Edisto over the weekend and was told they have shut down the piggyback contract program at that location.

Have you checked Flagstaff?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
They have alpha ranges that go by last name.

GRapuser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai Villas, Glacier Canyon, Club Wyndham Access
Two things related to this thread. The first is that my last purchase was out of the Utah Telesales office 2 years ago. I'm not sure if that office is still active or not. The other is that when I traded in my CWA contracts to purchase deeded at Bali Hai, while it was technically a point-for-point trade, the cost was manipulated so that it was effectively an equity trade.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is true. The OP should disregard anything they scribble on paper because it's usually meant to confuse the buyer. Only go by what's in the contract. If they make any claims that cannot be substantiated by the directory, those should be taken with a ginormous grain of salt. I mean like boulder size grain of salt. As far as the directory goes, remember, program rules are subject to change at any time.
This is called daze and confuse! If it doesn't work then out comes the Wyndham math that never adds up.

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other is that when I traded in my CWA contracts to purchase deeded at Bali Hai, while it was technically a point-for-point trade, the cost was manipulated so that it was effectively an equity trade.
This sounds like exactly what I would expect from Wyndham sales. My original purchase was cheap and long ago, so I'll see an astronomical cost per point if they try this method with me.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

I know I already told you this, but for someone else who might be reading, I confirmed today they still do. They are doing UDI points. It's no longer fixed weeks.