• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EOY Odd or Even?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Tuggers can give opinions on everything, and the amalgamation of views is constructive.

So, any thoughts of whether it is better (ie CHEAPER) to travel in an odd or even year? Are flights less expensive in odd or even years? No difference?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuggers can give opinions on everything, and the amalgamation of views is constructive.

So, any thoughts of whether it is better (ie CHEAPER) to travel in an odd or even year? Are flights less expensive in odd or even years? No difference?

Wow, there's a novel question.

I couldn't imagine any rationale where it would make a difference.

I think it depends on what schedule works for you. DW and DD go to Russia on even years (this year is an exception), so we picked up an EOYE within driving distance and an EOYO in Mexico.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are thinking of buying an EOY villa or not but do keep in mind that the closing costs are usually the same whether you buy an annual unit versus an every other year unit.

Obviously your ongoing annual costs would be much lower with an EOY purchase.

Best of luck with your final decision!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm thinking that the (relative) havoc wreaked on the Reservation Windows because of Leap Years might be a reason to pick one over the other but I can't flesh out the thought enough to figure out exactly why, or whether an Even or Odd week would be preferable. :hysterical:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I believe your question was driven by travel costs, and does the year matter. I do not believe the year matters and only in timeshare world is there significance to (use) year. I think other factors (state of the economy, price of oil, etc) are more relevant in determining the travel costs.

However, if your question is related to purchasing, the only datapoint we have is Samara64's purchase of a 3BR Odd and a 3BR Even at Grande Vista.

The Odd passed ROFR at $3,300 and the Even failed ROFR at $3,300.

We do not know if there was an MF subsidy to the Even that made it attractive to Marriott, or if it was the additional time to usage (this was in May 2015).

So, if I was going to buy an EOY, I would likely lean towards something that didn't have usage rights next year, but did have usage rights the following year.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
EY = Extra day

With even year you get an extra day in Feb every four years.

Only other thing I can think of is you get Olympics and Presidential elections.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have found that vacationers act more odd in even years, and more even in odd years. :shrug:

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
I have two EOY timeshares on the odd year that I purchased at the same time. Both passed ROFR at lower levels despite having an opportunity to use them the very next year. I do think that Marriott has started to take back units through ROFR a little bit more since then as it seemed for a while they weren't caring much about the EOY units and letting them all get waived. Of course when I made the offers I asked both owners to place reservations for me for the next use year and they did that prior to the waiver, and maybe that is why they got through ROFR easily.

The cost of even or odd travel may not matter if you plan to exchange.
You may find that with an EOY you will travel every year still if planning to use interval. I end up traveling every year with my Lock off and exchange the studio for an even year trip and the 1 bedroom for an odd year exchange in interval.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

rthib, these were two large scale events that occur in even years that I also thought of, that potentially could have a minute effect on air and related travel. And World Cup in even years too.

Or maybe people stay home due to those events. :shrug:

Last edited:

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think that most of us are more concerned with what happened WITHIN a certain year - and that was one reason that there is a sticky about certain annual events. I woudl also think that folks might want a heads-up about city trips and scheduled Olympics, MLB or other sports championships, political conventions, etc. We own a EOY at BPT - and avoid the Boat Show like crazy. And we usually lock off our BPT, and go in the Fal - and the Guest half ALWAYS has been upgraded to a 1 BR or even 2 BR. Once it isi locked off and parked in II, it no longer matters that we are Gold - we can go ANYTIME after that year of Use Gold season kicks in for the odd year - we can go ANYTIME in an even. So that's an advantage of EOY if you lock off - the Marriott season gets washed away (under the condition above) once it hits II. We never even NOTICE if there is a convention in Las Vegas - we only go to our MGC every few years, and what's a few more people in Vegas?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own predominately EOYs but I haven't noticed any differences in travel costs between even or odd years. My ownerships are EOYs so I can have a foothold in more systems, that is all. But you do have a point that major sporting events seem to take place on even years only. Not sure if there are any odd year only events.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I've come to a (draft) conclusion that it doesn't matter (although deep down I think it does). I've searched for awhile and would think that there would be an event-planning site, airfare travel page, or someone posting about this. Certainly those that plan big events (conventions, meetings, etc.) would be attuned to this if there was a difference.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

You do not actually get an extra day on leap years. You still get the exact same number of weeks for your given season, and each week is obviously still 7 days. The extra day just pushes the others forward to keep the year aligned with the sun.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just thinking more about this - there is a reference publication called Chase's Calendar of Events. It comes out each year and lists ALL of the world's major events, dates, places, etc. They have a website, but it looks like subscription only. Anyway, if you go to the library, you should be able to look at the book. They may or may not have already published 2016. If they have, you can compare the 2015 book of world events versus 2016 and see, other than sporting events, if there is any difference in the amount of world events in even versus odd years. Good luck, let us know the results if you do decide to do that level of research!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just thinking more about this - there is a reference publication called Chase's Calendar of Events. It comes out each year and lists ALL of the world's major events, dates, places, etc. They have a website, but it looks like subscription only. Anyway, if you go to the library, you should be able to look at the book. They may or may not have already published 2016. If they have, you can compare the 2015 book of world events versus 2016 and see, other than sporting events, if there is any difference in the amount of world events in even versus odd years. Good luck, let us know the results if you do decide to do that level of research!

This is interesting but also sounds exhausting. I can see it being relevant to a place like Vegas but that might be the extent of it. Clearly a week 52 even in Vegas is more valuable than an odd. Other events are so random and not planned for enough ahead to predict Even vs Odd. We used to know the College Football championship rotation schedule. Now it is like the Superbowl but solidified on shorter notice. The semi-final games which rotate through the top prior BCS bowls are every 3 years at each site so they would hit Even and Odd evenly.

Last edited: