• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Enrolling legacy weeks

Playafan

Reaction score
Hi all
I own a couple of resale weeks @Grand chateau and Cypress Harbor that I am thinking of enrolling into the destination points program. What is the least expensive way of doing this given that one week was purchased in 2009 and the other in 2014

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I own a couple of resale weeks @Grand chateau and Cypress Harbor that I am thinking of enrolling into the destination points program. What is the least expensive way of doing this given that one week was purchased in 2009 and the other in 2014

The 2009 week is automatically entitled, however the 2014 week can not be done unless you're will to spend big $$$$ with Marriott to make it eligible.

Me? Just do the 2009 week.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Look for an offer to enroll the 2009 week for free. Often if you go to a sales presentation they may be willing to provide that as an incentive. There were webinars offered a while back to be able to enroll a pre 2010 resale week for no cost. You could also enroll it online for a fee, and it may come with PlusPoints as an incentive. Though I think the fee is about $2300.

Playafan

Reaction score
Look for an offer to enroll the 2009 week for free. Often if you go to a sales presentation they may be willing to provide that as an incentive. There were webinars offered a while back to be able to enroll a pre 2010 resale week for no cost. You could also enroll it online for a fee, and it may come with PlusPoints as an incentive. Though I think the fee is about $2300.

What would be the least expensive way of enrolling both weeks and at what cost?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What would be the least expensive way of enrolling both weeks and at what cost?
Going by recent history, buying 4000 trust points or a qualifying week purchase at say Aruba or St. Kitts. So roughly $35-40K to do so but you'd end up with either more points or another week which could be converted to points. With the current environment you might be able to get it done for slightly less and get some incentives but still a lot of money just for that. And something I head last week from MVC sales suggests you might be able to buy other weeks and enroll but still a lot of $$$. For your situation you'd likely be better just getting the one week enrolled for free and if you need points, just rent them. I assume you're either using or exchanging the LV week, the savings by enrolling for those 2 options are not going to be worth it. The other issue is the CH week won't give you much value in terms of points compared to what the LV week would give you.

Playafan

Reaction score
Going by recent history, buying 4000 trust points or a qualifying week purchase at say Aruba or St. Kitts. So roughly $35-40K to do so but you'd end up with either more points or another week which could be converted to points. With the current environment you might be able to get it done for slightly less and get some incentives but still a lot of money just for that. And something I head last week from MVC sales suggests you might be able to buy other weeks and enroll but still a lot of $$$. For your situation you'd likely be better just getting the one week enrolled for free and if you need points, just rent them. I assume you're either using or exchanging the LV week, the savings by enrolling for those 2 options are not going to be worth it. The other issue is the CH week won't give you much value in terms of points compared to what the LV week would give you.

Thanks Dean

Do you think, or is there any evidence to suggest, that 4000 points is the minimum purchase or is this number negotiable downwards ?

CULox99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott DC Points
The promo today is 3,000 points to enroll 1 year, 4,000 points to enroll two weeks and 5,500 points to enroll 3-7 weeks. They are giving double bonus points of how many DC points you buy to sweeten the deal.

Bill4728

Reaction score
a month or so ago we were offered to enroll our 2012 week worth 2700 pts if we purchased 3000 new mvc pts. we never got to pricing for the 3000pts since 3500 pts got us to chairman level and that was $28K /3500 pts

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean

Do you think, or is there any evidence to suggest, that 4000 points is the minimum purchase or is this number negotiable downwards ?
It's 4000 for 2, 3000 for one so I'd assume that you could do it for the 3000 and do the other independently. You may want to investigate what you could get it down to for an Aruba purchase, maybe a 1 BR Platinum at Ocean Club. If you truly plan to enroll you may want to stock up on some other weeks and do them all at the same time.

Playafan

Reaction score
You haven't enrolled the 2009 week up to now,why the hurry to enroll both?

Just enroll the 2009 week and try out the point system. Rent any extra points you need with no upfront cost.
Correct me if I am wrong but would doing this mean that I needed to maintain 2 Interval International accounts and their associated costs? That was my reason for thinking that enrolling both would have been the way forward

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but would doing this mean that I needed to maintain 2 Interval International accounts and their associated costs? That was my reason for thinking that enrolling both would have been the way forward

Correct, but that's pennies on the dollar compared to the upfront cost of DC points. I agree with the above from davidvel. Why enroll both if you have the opportunity to try it out with no additional cost?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There certainly are some savings being enrolled compared to also having a paid II account but assuming one lockoff and trading 2 weeks/year. Using rough numbers, II account $100/yr, 2 exchanges $320/yr, lockoff fee $100. So roughly $500 per year not enrolled vs all free if one trades ONLY to other Marriott qualified resorts compared to a $30K up front cost, the additional fees on the points bought but the use of the additional 3000 points (or replacement week).

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
As others have noted the costs on an II account are meaningless in relation to what it would cost to enroll that week. My point is just that you can always pay a ton to enroll that week, but why not enroll the first for free and try it out?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have noted the costs on an II account are meaningless in relation to what it would cost to enroll that week. My point is just that you can always pay a ton to enroll that week, but why not enroll the first for free and try it out?
I'm assuming the CH is the one that's eligible To enroll. The only downside is any upfront costs, which might be none and the yearly fee which would cover the MVC to MVC (and related) exchanges as well as allow access to points to have transferred from others. It's probably a non brainer if they exchange the CH week as it will be close to break even. If by chance it's the reverse and the LV week is the qualified one, it's more of a no brainer to enroll, IMO.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
If the week you bought in 2014 is somewhere you want to go often you can just use that week (or even rent it ) and drop the II account associated with it. Enroll the 2009 week and call it good for now.

We just use our post 2011 NCV week and use our enrolled week for other travel.

Playafan

Reaction score
Thanks for these replies

This is really good food for thought that I hadn't considered and may be giving me a "plan B"

It is the CH that could be auto enrolled, the GC being the later purchase. Where do I find it's destination point value ?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold