• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Enjoying Sedona

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Hi Tuggers,
We’re in our third day at Sedona Summit. The weather is great and the mountains are gorgeous. We’re staying in a 1 bedroom, located on the first floor, (all buildings are 2 stories). The villas are very nice, although noticeably dark..compared to OP and OW. I think the 2nd floor would be much brighter…but I opted for ground floor because of a bum knee. We must be in newer or newly refurbished unit as we have granite tops, SS appliances etc. I’ve heard other guests requesting newer units
The Summit is located in the red rock region and the views from the hot tub and pools are spectacular.
We’re going to take a Red Rock Jeep tour..but we just discovered that if you go down to the beginning of our drive, take a right turn and drive 100 yards..you end up at the Sedona Cultural Center and Trail-head, that gives more photo opportunities than you can imagine! Again…you have to drive a quarter mile from your villa to see some of the most spectacular scenery in Arizona!
Went through a “brutal” presentation yesterday…and my opinion is shared by many that we met poolside.
This is a lovely property…but the presentation turned me off from ever purchasing a Diamond Resort property. Their point system (as explained), seemed to be fraught with inconsistencies and inaccuracies (I really mean lies!). Sales personnel must think that guests don’t talk to each other. Prices (for points) varied from $34K to 5K…..GIVE ME A BREAK!!
We drove to the Sedona Ridge today, (owned by Diamond also)..and there was no comparison, (regarding the views, grounds or size). The Summit is a much more attractive property..(IMHO that is).
If I can answer any questions (while I’m still here). I’ll be happy to try.
Mike

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an exchange to a two bedroom at the Summit in just under a month, so I really appreciate your post. Any tips on requesting a unit? When to call or what to ask for as far as buildings or view? Any sense how responsive they are to RCI exchanger requests?
Thanks.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I am glad you are having such a good time. I wanted to go to the Sedona Summit next year but my wife wants to go back to Lake Tahoe instead, ergo, we will stay on the north side of the lake rather than the south side for a change of scenery. We have been to Scottsdale. How do Sedona and Scottsdale compare?

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
piano: IMHO No comparison -- In Sedona you are mesmerized by gorgeous, bright orange-red mountains of all sizes and shapes and deep green trees. It's a very small community. The serenity it gives is why a lot of psychics settled there. Scottsdale is highly populated with people and cars (and money).

irishween

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at Sedona Summit in June 2009. Plan on doing the Pink Jeep Tour. We are looking into a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. Ever done that or know anything about them?
We are flying from Philadelphia area. Which airport did you fly into Phoenix, Flagstaff or another?
Would love to hear more about what you do and your opinions.
Enjoy!

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew into Phoenix which worked out nicely as we were at Marriott's Canyon Villas our second week. While in Sedona we did the Red Rock Hot Air Balloon, Pink Jeep Broken Arrow and Scenic Rim, Verde Canyon Railroad and took at tour of the Sunset Crater, Indian ruins and Grand Canyon with Red Stone tours. We spent one day riding around by ourselves seeing the Cathedral in the rocks and looking at different sides of the formations. We also had lunch at Enchantment. Our week in Sedona was magical. We aren't normally tour people but we don't regret any of the things we did. I can still close my eyes and see those beautiful formations. If anyone has a chance for a week in Sedona, don't pass it by. We were at Los Abrigados.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to have visited and lived in some very very pretty locations. I would rank Sedona right up there with one of the most beautiful places I have every been.

Piano, as Cathy points out there is no comparison between Sedona and Scottsdale. While I happen to think the Sonoran Desert surrounding Phoenix/Scottsdale is much prettier say than the Mojoave Desert here in CA, neither place compares to the red rock beauty of Sedona.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Piano, as others have said, there is no comparison. It's like night and day. Totally different environments and scenery. I know. I live here. And I'm an owner at the Summit. We made our first investment there pre-construction and we've grown it over the years through all of the various owners. Contrary to the OP, I would say that Diamond is doing a good job. Of course we never stay at the Summit. We use our points to trade and we get good trades, at the places we want to go to, both inside and outside of the Diamond system.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There you have it. RR says that DRI works for him. I have read some pretty disparaging reports about DRI but, I will give RR a hearty second. :banana: I own at Sedona but, hey, I'm going to the Marriott Newport Coast VIllas next week on an II trade thru DRI. I am a lot happier now than I was with RCI. Yes my MFs will be going up next year but, not because DRI is managing- they really couldn't help the fact that the pool at The Sedona Golf Resort was built in the path of an underground spring. I don't know if any one exchange company can fulfill everyone's expectations but, I like DRI, too. (There, I said it!):cheer:

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
There you have it. RR says that DRI works for him. I have read some pretty disparaging reports about DRI but, I will give RR a hearty second. :banana: I own at Sedona but, hey, I'm going to the Marriott Newport Coast VIllas next week on an II trade thru DRI. I am a lot happier now than I was with RCI. Yes my MFs will be going up next year but, not because DRI is managing- they really couldn't help the fact that the pool at The Sedona Golf Resort was built in the path of an underground spring. I don't know if any one exchange company can fulfill everyone's expectations but, I like DRI, too. (There, I said it!):cheer:

Thanks for the support NN.:cheer: We'll be trading into the Marriott at Singer Island in FL in Dec on an II exchange with our DRI points. This will be a pre-cruise stay before we sail from Ft Lauderdale to LA via the Panama Canal. We also enjoy an annual 2week trade into the Marquis Villas in Palm Springs every winter for a couple of weeks. In addition we trade to Mexico, New England, Colorado and other popular destinations on a fairly regular basis. As with just about any TS exchange, it always pays to plan and trade well in advance. We've been happy TS owners and traders for over 25 years now, and Sedona Summit owners since the mid 90s.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
We're in building #29 (directly accross from the reception), its a fine location. Knowing what I know now, I would ask for building 25, 26, 27 also asking to face the canyon walls. Its unbelieveably gorgeous.
We went up to the gold mine in Jerome. The concierge told me privately that it was a junk yard. Guess what...it is.
Its also called a ghost town...guess what..it ain't.
Took the deluxe tour of the GC. Cost about $360.00 with tip. MY opinion is that you don't get enough "rim time".
Had a wonderful lunch at ElTovar hotel, but the lunch ate up 1:40 minutes of our 1:50 stop there. (service very slow....but I must say delicious).
If I come back in a few years, I would drive to the GC, stay over one night, and come back the next day. You could do it for the same amount of money and not be rushed. See the sunris/set and walk till your feet fall off.
Oh yes...regarding the Summit, the buildings are two stories. Sometimes you must go down stairs to then go upstairs...so if you have any issues with wtairs (knees, hips luggage)., opt for first floor.
Again..despite my lack of understanding of Diamond's system. You will not regret comming to Sedona, particularly the Summit.
Mike

I have an exchange to a two bedroom at the Summit in just under a month, so I really appreciate your post. Any tips on requesting a unit? When to call or what to ask for as far as buildings or view? Any sense how responsive they are to RCI exchanger requests?
Thanks.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Mike about the GCNP. The Grand Canyon NP is a place that can and should be toured on your own, in your own vehicle, on your own time schedule and preferably with an overnight stay at one of the lodges located inside the park. This takes planning. The hotels there book as much as a year in advance, but cancellations do happen and there are lots of rooms that are occupied every night. Of course there are a few instances where it makes sense to take advantage of a guided tour, but for the most part, you can and should tour the GCNP on your own.

irishween

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any site plans with room locations available? Are the room locations you suggested renovated? Curious as to why you chose those buildings.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Building 25, 26 and 27 are they 2 bedroom units? Also, is their a television in each bedroom? What are you suggestions for the best months to visit Sedona?

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Irishween and Pedro,
We've left for Vegas now...but in answer to your questions, I think the end of Sept/October is a great time for Sedona. Its still around 100 degrees..but with a nice breeze.
The building #'s I mentioned (as far as I know) are all 2BR with lockoffs. They just seem to me to be perfect locations (view wise).In reality..you can see the red rock canyon walls from pretty much anyplace in the resort. Its just magnificent.
In response to RedRox...I'm truly glad that Diamond works for you. I also hope that you enjoy our home resort (Ocean Pointe) on Singer Island.
As long as we're all happy...life's too short!:D

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply somelike you had a wonderful vacation exp.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Irishween and Pedro,
We've left for Vegas now...but in answer to your questions, I think the end of Sept/October is a great time for Sedona. Its still around 100 degrees..but with a nice breeze.
The building #'s I mentioned (as far as I know) are all 2BR with lockoffs. They just seem to me to be perfect locations (view wise).In reality..you can see the red rock canyon walls from pretty much anyplace in the resort. Its just magnificent.
In response to RedRox...I'm truly glad that Diamond works for you. I also hope that you enjoy our home resort (Ocean Pointe) on Singer Island.
As long as we're all happy...life's too short!:D

It is still unseasonably warm in Sedona right now. Today it might get to 89, but as you said, with no humidity and a breeze, it's very comfortable. Our cousin from FL is visiting right now for the first time, and she can't get over how nice it is.
Thanks for the well wishes about Ocean point. We lived in Palm Beach Gardens for 25 years before retiring here in Sedona, so I know we'll enjoy being back there in Dec. It will mostly be about seeing old friends and the resort will just be a home base for us that week.