• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Encore Vacation CAN I RECIND!!!?

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
While at the presentation today they offered us the “Encore Vacation” $1,000 for “5 day’s and 4 nights at any 1 of 27 exciting destinations” We would like to go to Manhatten and it sounded interesting enough to spend the $1,000. After getting home and looking at the fine print I’m having second thoughts.

CAN I RECIND!!!?

The biggest issue is I have to use it within 18 months. OK, I have a 5 month lead on regular owners. WRONG!!! Reservations can only be made 10 months in advance. We want Manhattan for Memorial day weekend, or partly in any case in 2021.

Is there any chance? Will I end up in the Poconos in April?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I can't remember if there's a recession clause in the agreement, but the 10 month lead time is consistent with what they were able to do when we went back to Maui. That said, they did imply that some inventory was held back for the Encore visits, albeit not prime locations, but they had rooms.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Do you see a rescind clause in the paperwork? Where did you purchase? Some states require a rescission period for discovery/sampler type timeshare products and other states do not.

If I remember correctly Marriott will let you rescind even in states that don't require it but they won;t mention it in the paperwork (presumably to make it less likely that you will try to rescind). If you purchased in a state that requires the rescission period, it will be in the paperwork and list the number of days you have. If you read and re-read and don't see it likely you are in a state that does not require. It if that is the case, no guarantees but there have been reports that if you confidently write requesting a rescission during the state of purchases rescission period, Marriott will comply.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience both with Marriott and Westin is that the sales organization, which controls Encore activity, have preferred access to inventory - we have been able to get Canyon Villas during spring training and Nanea at the end of January, for example -- and 12 months, not 10 months, out. Not sure about rescission rights however. If you do decide to go through with it, just call the reservations number you have been given and ask for what you want - because it IS sales, they have an incentive to please you.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
While at the presentation today they offered us the “Encore Vacation” $1,000 for “5 day’s and 4 nights at any 1 of 27 exciting destinations” We would like to go to Manhatten and it sounded interesting enough to spend the $1,000. After getting home and looking at the fine print I’m having second thoughts.

CAN I RECIND!!!?

The biggest issue is I have to use it within 18 months. OK, I have a 5 month lead on regular owners. WRONG!!! Reservations can only be made 10 months in advance. We want Manhattan for Memorial day weekend, or partly in any case in 2021.

Is there any chance? Will I end up in the Poconos in April?

Yes, time restrictions apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
It is my understanding as well that units for Encore packages are set aside. Not prime units by any means, though.
Of course, they don't let you check specific availability until you have purchased the package.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Recision period, I believe, is 7 days from date of signing.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Manhattan will likely be Club Pulse (which are small hotel rooms), and the location (in my opinion) is "meh". You could probably do better booking your own hotel.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Our experience both with Marriott and Westin is that the sales organization, which controls Encore activity, have preferred access to inventory - we have been able to get Canyon Villas during spring training and Nanea at the end of January, for example -- and 12 months, not 10 months, out. Not sure about rescission rights however. If you do decide to go through with it, just call the reservations number you have been given and ask for what you want - because it IS sales, they have an incentive to please you.

That has been our experience with both Marriott and Hilton, we have never had an issue with room availability for the promo packages. You won't have a choice on the view or room location, but we have always been able to get a room.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
While I can't guarantee you anything, I can tell you my experience with an Encore. We purchased an Encore at OceanWatch on July 3, 2018 to be able to come back for 1 week. We had the same reservation rules, 10 months. We wanted July 4 week of 2019. We called the reservation line and asked them to put in a request for that week, before the 10 month mark. On August 30, 2018, we received confirmation for our 7 nights at MOW, for June 30-July 6, 2019.

At OceanWatch, and possibly all resorts, MVC owns a certain number of interests, like any other owner would own. They use those interests to secure time for marketing stays, such as this Encore. So, it is a different pot of inventory.

Again, I can't guarantee this same thing is true for the NY Pulse location.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever been able to extend. We purchased one and haven't been able to use and it is going to expire before we can travel?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever been able to extend. We purchased one and haven't been able to use and it is going to expire before we can travel?

You should contact them directly and ask them for an extension (and get it in writing via email). Don't know for a fact if they will, but I don't think it hurts to ask.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We have called and successfully extended. Not sure if they do it for everyone, ours was for medical reasons, but they were good about it and we eventually used it I think it was 6 months later.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
I also had a medical reason and they extended my encore visit. Going to Hilton Head in March for 4 nights. Not that I want to go, it was what was available and I didn't want to waste yet another $1,000 on this incredibly stupid thing I did.

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without getting into the merits of Encore Vacation Packages, I don't think that you have too much to worry about getting a reservation for the New York Pulse for Memorial Day weekend 2021, if you plan to reserve 10 months in advance. I have stayed at the New York Pulse many times, including once with an Encore Package. Even 3-4 months in advance, I have rarely had a problem looking specifically for rooms with 2 beds (where the selection is much more limited), and there always has been some availability for rooms with a King bed. I checked this year's availability for Memorial Day weekend - we are now 4 months in advance of the date - and there was availability for rooms with both 2 beds and a number of different types of rooms with a king size bed. That's not a guarantee about 2021, but I think it gives a good indication. The only problem may be whether they are giving timeshare presentations during Memorial Day weekend - and that you can check in advance. If they are not giving timeshare presentations during your stay, they won't let you make a reservation with an Encore Package, but if you're flexible about when you arrive (and when you leave) at least part of the time won't be a weekend or the holiday.

Regarding the size of the rooms, they are fairly small, but since when I'm in New York I don't spend much time in the room, it really hasn't bothered me. I think for a couple, it shouldn't be a problem, although there clearly are larger rooms available (usually at higher prices) elsewhere. It should also be said that the hotel offers minimal hotel services that you will find at full service hotels - like in-hotel restaurants or shops; but if you're in New York, I'm not sure that you will feel the need to eat or shop in your hotel. It is true that the location is less exciting than being on Broadway (for example at the Marriott Marquis), and less fashionable than being mid-town on the east side, but the area where the hotel is located is safe, fairly central (depending where you want to be in New York) and relatively quiet.

I hope that this helps.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also add that my experience has been that you can often get a unit during holiday times with an Encore package that you can't get with your owner's week or points. I was once closed out of our typical Easter week at Canyon Villas. We happened to have an Encore package at the time and tried that at 10 months out - bingo, got the time slot we wanted. It is actually kind of unfortunate that owners can't get in certain times but the sales staff can get potential buyers in, but different pot of inventory I guess. Also, we did have a friend that got their encore extended. We have never been made that offer - maybe because we are already owners. He was not? And just a note about NY vacation clubs - none of them that I have been in have large rooms but that is part of being in the middle of a big city. It is all about the location so I would go for it. That smaller room in NY probably goes for more cash than a much larger room elsewhere - so not a bad value - in my opinion.