• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Employee on Leave of Absence

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am wondering if I can get some TUG input. For those of you who have run your own small businesses...If an employee takes a leave of absence and does not return to work, what happens to their benefits that might have vested while they were not working? Are they still entitled to vesting?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I can get some TUG input. For those of you who have run your own small businesses...If an employee takes a leave of absence and does not return to work, what happens to their benefits that might have vested while they were not working? Are they still entitled to vesting?
This is a legal question, and always remember that free legal advice is worth exactly as much as you paid.

This is a question that varies greatly with locale. You need to speak with someone who is knowledgeable in labor law in your locale.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
This is a legal question, and always remember that free legal advice is worth exactly as much as you paid.

This is a question that varies greatly with locale. You need to speak with someone who is knowledgeable in labor law in your locale.

Agree this is a question for a qualified attorney but actually free legal advice is sometimes worth much less that what you paid:(

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree with above. Every state is different. Definitely you need to check into this with an attorney or maybe you can find the answer on line on your state's website.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
You might also have a state employment office that can give you general guidance.

geekette

Reaction score
long time employee, never an owner...

if the person is on Medical Leave, and I could afford it, I would give them the benefits.

I am on med leave and received Team Bonus, the full one, even tho I did not work the full year in which it was earned. I also got 401k match whenever I was paid.

Personally, if it were my business, I would go with the specific case. What impact did this employee have on your business, how long were they there, etc. I would be generous with long time employees or those who really helped the effort even if short time there.

I did not make 5 years on the job but no vesting so can't say what would have occurred when they termed me after a year of FMLA. If at all possible, make yourself a rule that will apply to the next case. I do not know what you would base it on, but some combo of length of service, level in the company, performance reviews, and possibly reason for leaving. Critical illness presents many problems, which I know very well now, and I would have been grateful had my employee been a bit kinder in their treatment of me. As it is, I will never again patronize their business and have nothing nice to say about them. Your reputation enters into this!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

It depends on the benefits. I am so far removed from being an employer that I have forgotten the various laws in California for this.

SHRM is usually pretty reliable and this is as close to it as I found in a 5 second search...

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandto...r-benefits-when-taking-leaves-of-absence.aspx

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It depends on the benefits. I am so far removed from being an employer that I have forgotten the various laws in California for this.

SHRM is usually pretty reliable and this is as close to it as I found in a 5 second search...

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandto...r-benefits-when-taking-leaves-of-absence.aspx

Thank you, VacationForever. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been researching this question all week and could not find it spelled out this clearly. Even my 401K company, a $3+ billion company, did not give me an answer after consulting with their legal counsel. They told me to research it myself! Such an unacceptable answer for a basic plan question.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, VacationForever. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been researching this question all week and could not find it spelled out this clearly. Even my 401K company, a $3+ billion company, did not give me an answer after consulting with their legal counsel. They told me to research it myself! Such an unacceptable answer for a basic plan question.
Don't forget that California laws are likely different and over and above Federal laws. FEHA has always been more stringent than EEOC.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I looked at my Employee Manual and it makes it clear that when employees go on leave of absence, they become inactive employees and are ineligible for vesting and benefits. My employee manual was written by an external agency based on the state of California HR laws. So I think I now have answer to my OP.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at my Employee Manual and it makes it clear that when employees go on leave of absence, they become inactive employees and are ineligible for vesting and benefits. My employee manual was written by an external agency based on the state of California HR laws. So I think I now have answer to my OP.
Yep. We had all of those spelled out in our employee manual and covered during orientation.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best not to deviate from your manual as next time if not applied the same you could be sued for it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Best not to deviate from your manual as next time if not applied the same you could be sued for it.

Thank you for the great advice.