• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Emotional Response To Music.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I am signed up as a substitute extra player with an extremely good church-based brass ensemble that's putting on a concert (in church, but not at a church service) on October 14. One of the tunes, Salvation Is Created (by Pavel Tchesnokov, 1877-1944), gets me choked up whenever I hear it -- to the point that my throat narrows & it's hard to keep on playing. It had that effect even before I selected it as music for my mother's funeral 25 years ago. I suppose that's why I selected it. The combination of the music's beauty & its association with remembrance of my mother packs a powerful emotional wallop. I expect, however, that rehearsals between now & October 14 will dimininsh the impact -- at least (I hope) to the point where my playing won't be affected.

Some years ago I was recruited to be part of a semi-professional brass ensemble to perform as part of a Christmas musical program at a small Capitol Hill church. The church choir sang some tunes, we played some tunes, but there were no tunes featurng voices & instruments together. That meant we never rehearsed together, & so I never heard the choir till their actual performances in between our brass numbers. It was just a little church so I was expecting no more than a so-so rinky-dink church choir -- & I was not prepared for what I was about to hear. They sang beautifully. And the music of the Christmas season has its own emotional effect on those of us brought up in that tradition. When the choir started singing the Austrian carol Still, Still Still, the music was extremely lovely & beautifully sung -- very much like the version recorded on a wonderful Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album. Tears started running down my face. I had to dry my eyes & get myself together pretty quick, because another brass number was coming up next, & I had to come in on a top-line F-sharp right at the start of the piece. (It was OK. I nailed the F-sharp. The rest of the program went fine, too.)

At that funeral service 25 years ago, the other music was equally powerful in emotional impact. Pie Jesu from the Fauré Requiem was extremely moving, performed by a young soloist whose rendition matches the finest commercial recordings I've heard of that music. (I've never heard that singer since. Wherever she is these days, I hope she's still singing.) BTW, Fauré's Pie Jesu could have been the model or the inspiration for Andrew Lloyd Webber's Pie Jesu from Webber's Requiem. Both are lovely & moving, though Fauré's might be a bit more delicate & ethereal, I don't know.

Mother's other funeral piece was the magnificent funeral hymn by Ralph Vaughan Williams, For All The Saints, sung by the full congregation with pipe organ.

It is a privilege to be part of the upcoming brass ensemble concert next month, which will feature some outstanding numbers including...

Millenium Fanfare (Kevin Kaska)
How Firm a Foundation (Dwight Gustafson)
Suite for Two Horns & Orchestra (Georg Philipp Telemann)
Salvation is Created (Pavel Tschesnokoff)
Declamation On A Hymn Tune (Jack Stamp)
Adagio (Samuel Barber)
Symphony In Brass (Eric Ewazen)
The Great Gate At Kiev (Modeste Mussorgsky)
Be Still my Soul (based on "Finlandia")​

The only downside is that the scheduling is regrettably bad from our timeshare vacationing perspective (The Chief Of Staff's & mine, I mean). The performance was scheduled originally for last spring. If it had been played as scheduled, it would already be over & the calendar would be clear for us to go out of town next month for a nice timeshare vacation -- before the timeshare points we've been saving dry up & blow away, as they're about to do. The concert postponement happened after a couple of players (including me) had to miss an important rehearsal. That rehearsal was shaky enough, I'm told, that the music director got cold feet & put the whole thing off till fall, so we'd have more rehearsal time. To the extent that my not being there contributed to delaying the concert, I have only myself to blame. The Chief Of Staff deserves yet another Oak Leaf Cluster for her previously earned Good Sport Award. So it goes.

Meanwhile, music -- sung, heard, played, whistled, hummed, remembered -- is specially enriching to the human experience, whether the tunes are fast or slow, happy or sad, loud or soft, frivolous or profound, juke joint or Carnegie Hall. As Duke Ellington said of music in all its various kinds & styles, If It Sounds Good It Is Good. At my advanced age, I'm grateful my ears still work well enough to hear the music, & that my geriatric face remains pliable enough so that I can still pucker up & blow.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though I have no musical talent, I can greatly appreciate those who do. Thank you for sharing your talents so freely. I, too, experience some music/lyrics that always bring me to tears. One of the songs that tugs at my heart is "Mary's Lullaby (Tonight You Are Mine)" (music Wanda West Palmer, lyrics Bertha Kleinman). I can't even think of this song without getting all choked up. I had just given birth to my first child when I first heard this song. It was just before Christmas and as I held my little baby boy, I could understand the emotion Mary felt in this song as she sang to her newborn. That was nearly 27 years ago and I still can't even see the printed lyrics without tears streaming down my face.

Mary's Lullaby (Tonight You Are Mine)

All mine in your loveliness baby, all mine.
All mine in your holiness baby divine.
Sing on herald angels in chorus sublime;
Sing on and adore, for tonight you are mine.

The wise men are coming to worship their King,
The shepherds are kneeling their homage to bring.
Out yonder the star over Judah will keep.
No harm will befall thee, then sleep baby sleep.

O let me enfold thee, my baby tonight,
While legions are singing in joyous delight.
A new star has risen to hail thee divine,
For you are a king, but tonight you are mine.

Away spectered future of sorrow and plight,
Away to the years that must follow tonight.
The pangs of Gethsemane, let them be dim,
The red drops on Calvary, not Lord, for Him!

O let me enfold thee, my baby tonight,
While legions are singing in joyous delight.
A new star has risen to hail thee divine,
For you are a king, but tonight you are mine.

Sing on herald angels in chorus sublime;
Sing on and adore, for tonight you are mine.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I shared this with Alan, but I guess I'll put it up here. Here's a link to our church choir performing a superb arrangement of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. (Note: 16 meg file - you probably don't want to click on this if you're on dial-up.)

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave and Steve, two more wonderfully emotional songs! (Steve, all I can say is "wow" that was aweome.) Oh, it is a weepy day for me. :bawl: Here a few more from Les Miz: "Do You Hear the People Sing?", "Bring Him Home," "On My Own/ A Little Fall of Rain." And then, from Dumbo, "Baby Mine."

Last edited:

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the Youth Orchestras I performed with in High School had a tradition of ending the final concert of each season with Elgar's Nimrod Variation, as a way of bidding farewell to the graduating seniors. Rehearsals were always fine, but for many of us that final performance during our own senior years was difficult - much like the experience Alan noted. It was fine for the String players, who had the option of not playing, but for the winds, brass, and timpanist that is not an option.

For many of us, when we return to an end of year concert, it still chokes us up, because we remember that feeling. I still feel it every time I hear it, even by another orchestra.

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try 'Nella Fantasia', by any symphony or Sarah Brightman.

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Emotional music

The music that is most likely to bring on an emotional response is music associated with one of life's major transitions: birth, the transition from childhood to adulthood, marriage, and loss of a loved one (by whatever means).

At this point in my life, as the mother of a teenager, the music connected with the transition from childhood to adulthood seems most touching, e.g. Pomp and Circumstance, and the Kingston Trio's song that starts "Where are you going, my little one, little one, where are you going, my baby, my own?"

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I made a 16 minute movie to play after my little speech for my daughter's recent wedding, called "Daddy's Little Girl". I let the movie do most of my talking. :)

Anyone who has collected all the past pictures, old 8mm films that had to be converted to digital, mixed in with analog and digital video, some silent some with sound, mixed with commentary and music added, knows that it takes hours for every minute of video authoring.

And perhaps the toughest part is deciding what music to put on the film to tie it all together, much of which were silent home movies and single photos.

It was a happy movie, or so I thought. But as I stood back and watched people watching it on the big jumbo screen with surround speakers I noticed the tissues were out everywhere ... even some of the guys.

All night long people I didn't even know, till then, told me they had big 'happy tears' to see pictures they had never seen before, from her first few steps up to her wedding day. The music transformed the 'home movie' stigma to 'entertainment', and provided an emotional response that I hadn't expected.

The most emotional part seemed to be the last 7 minutes with the switch from Doris Day's 'Que Sera Sera' to Damien Rice's 'The Blower's Daughter'.

Chances are when you see an Academy Award winning movie that the music had a huge role in that achievement. My award comes from knowing my daughter has something 'just about her' that I put together for her and her generations to enjoy many years after I'm gone.

Brian

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alan,

Thanks for another outstanding post.

Marty

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chances are when you see an Academy Award winning movie that the music had a huge role in that achievement.
Absolutely true! I've watched some "making of" shows where certain scenes are shown with and without the music, and the difference is dramatic. That's why we see certain composers' names over and over with the top movies - they have proven they know what they are doing.

Actually, I would love a feature on DVD's where you could turn off the music portion of the soundtrack. The same might also apply to some of the audio effects. Disney does the same in one of the shows at MGM Studios, where audience members help add the sound effects.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true! I've watched some "making of" shows where certain scenes are shown with and without the music, and the difference is dramatic. That's why we see certain composers' names over and over with the top movies - they have proven they know what they are doing.

Actually, I would love a feature on DVD's where you could turn off the music portion of the soundtrack. The same might also apply to some of the audio effects. Disney does the same in one of the shows at MGM Studios, where audience members help add the sound effects.

Our DVD of The Bourne Identify includes interviews with the team that did the sound on the movie. I thought it was pretty interesting.

The dialog is the only sound during filming that actually appears in a movie. Everything else is dubbed in later.

They showed the buildup of the sound track for the sequence in the movie when the Paris police are chasing Jason and Marie in Marie's little mini, showing how they added the sounds of the engine, the street sounds, the siren sounds, the crashing vehicles - everything.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I was in tears the other night at a performance of the Las Vegas Tenors singing "The Prayer."Here are Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli singing it on You Tube. What a beautiful song!

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a 16 minute movie to play after my little speech for my daughter's recent wedding, called "Daddy's Little Girl". I let the movie do most of my talking. :)

Anyone who has collected all the past pictures, old 8mm films that had to be converted to digital, mixed in with analog and digital video, some silent some with sound, mixed with commentary and music added, knows that it takes hours for every minute of video authoring.

And perhaps the toughest part is deciding what music to put on the film to tie it all together, much of which were silent home movies and single photos.

It was a happy movie, or so I thought. But as I stood back and watched people watching it on the big jumbo screen with surround speakers I noticed the tissues were out everywhere ... even some of the guys.

All night long people I didn't even know, till then, told me they had big 'happy tears' to see pictures they had never seen before, from her first few steps up to her wedding day. The music transformed the 'home movie' stigma to 'entertainment', and provided an emotional response that I hadn't expected.

The most emotional part seemed to be the last 7 minutes with the switch from Doris Day's 'Que Sera Sera' to Damien Rice's 'The Blower's Daughter'.

Chances are when you see an Academy Award winning movie that the music had a huge role in that achievement. My award comes from knowing my daughter has something 'just about her' that I put together for her and her generations to enjoy many years after I'm gone.

Brian
What a lot of work you put in that "home movie" Brian. No wonder many wedding guests had tears in their eyes. Any chance of posting a couple of wedding pictures?

Elli

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I shared this with Alan, but I guess I'll put it up here. Here's a link to our church choir performing a superb arrangement of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. (Note: 16 meg file - you probably don't want to click on this if you're on dial-up.)

Which church do you attend? I may want to visit next time I am in the Seattle area. So few churches have full choirs any more.:(

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, like the various versions of The Prayer (especially Josh Groban/Charlotte Church) but the version that chokes me up is the original "Mother's Prayer" (sung by Celine Dion) in the animated movie "Quest for Camelot." That gets to me because it is a prayer sung by a mother for her daughter. It is absolutely beautiful. (Same melody but slightly different lyrics than the duet versions.)

I also cry through Celine's "Because You Loved Me." I think of my mother during that one. (I'm everything I am because you loved me.)

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ginny. Brought some tears to me this morning as well.

Alan, I cannot thank you enough for starting this thread. I've needed the catharsis of some good music. This thread is really helping me get through the rest of my day. You are an angel.

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got curious about the song the Blower's Daughter and I looked it up on Youtube. Wow, what a haunting video. It gave me chills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThuXEDvCZk

It also made me want to hear more Damien Rice.

Eva Cassidy also made me teary eyed first time I heard her, I bought her CD off the internet and her voice is so soothing.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score

Brian

Just reading this made me cry, seeing the movie might have been too much.:bawl:

At my nieces wedding they played "I Loved Her First" during the father daughter dance. My sister started crying so hard her brother in law came to comfort her, and he started crying, so his wife started crying and so on until the father of the bride started getting weepy. By the end I think the only 2 people not crying or weepy were the bride and the groom. I caught the last part of the dance in a picture where her dad pulled her to his chest with a look of "How can I let her go?" on his face. I still get teary looking at the picture, and it is not even that good of a picture. . . I know I will never make it through my son's wedding which is many years away.

But I also cried during a church service as our chior (50+) along with a (fantastic) band played a rendition "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" while showing pictures of our military on an overhead screen on Memorial Day. They had to turn the screens in the back of the church off, as the choir couldn't sing when seeing the pictures. Anyone who was not crying has no heart!

Good music always brings emotion. That's how you know it was good!

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
October 14 Performance By Cathedral Brass.

CathedralBrass.jpg

The playlist of music . . .

Millenium Fanfare (Kevin Kaska)
How Firm a Foundation (Dwight Gustafson)
Suite for Two Horns & Orchestra (Georg Philipp Telemann)
Salvation is Created (Pavel Tschesnokoff)
Declamation On A Hymn Tune (Jack Stamp)
Adagio (Samuel Barber)
Symphony In Brass (Eric Ewazen)
The Great Gate At Kiev (Modeste Mussorgsky)
Be Still my Soul (based on "Finlandia")​

Performance venue & location . . .

Vienna Presbyterian Church
124 Park Street, NE
Vienna, VA 22180
( Click here for Google map. )​

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Another one that might cause some emotion is a song by Warren Zevon (and his video) called "Keep Me In Your Heart" ... which he penned after finding out he was going to die. The song takes on a whole new emotion after knowing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7NQjLZvw44

http://www.amazon.com/VH1-Inside-Out-Warren-Zevon/dp/B0000V46RM

http://www.lyricscafe.com/z/zevon_warren/136.htm

Brian

I got curious about the song the Blower's Daughter and I looked it up on Youtube. Wow, what a haunting video. It gave me chills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThuXEDvCZk

It also made me want to hear more Damien Rice.

Eva Cassidy also made me teary eyed first time I heard her, I bought her CD off the internet and her voice is so soothing.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I clicked into this topic. Most I have ever visited YouTube , especially loved "Keep Me In Your Heart" :clap:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Dress Rehearsal Tonight -- Starting To Get Butterflies...

...& I'm only just a substitute extra player. And this is not in anticipation of the actual performance, but just in advance of the final rehearsal for a performance that'll still be 48 hours in the future at rehearsal time.

The thing about pre-performance butterflies is that the feeling is akin to stage fright for people who are unprepared, but also akin to being up for the game for folks who have woodshedded their parts.

BTW, it's not "dress rehearsal" in the sense of wearing concert attire while running through all the tunes 1 last time before the show. We'll all be there in T-shirts & khakis & sweatshirts & jeans & I don't know what-all. It's just "dress rehearsal" in the sense of having completed all the ensemble practice sessions leading up to it & now putting the whole thing together performance-style 1 last time before playing the tunes for real in front of the audience Sunday evening.

However that may be, I couldn't keep from buying a new Wal*Mart black suit coat last week that fits very nicely right off the rack. My planned concert duds are new black suit coat, black dress shirt, black tie (long), black slacks, black sox, black New Balance walking shoes.

As for playing the music, if I mess up my part it won't be because I'm not prepared.

If any TUG folks attend the performance, I hope you won't have to rush home afterward before coming up & saying Hi.

Last edited: