• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Embarc Faq/guide/article - update or modify the old intrawest one?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, I think your idea is a great one. I remember that, now, very dated Guide.

However, Embarc is, as you know well, Hilton Grand Vacations.

What has not surfaced, is how HGV will govern once Embarc Resorts. In my opinion, it would be ideal for HGV to throw the former Embarc Board of Directors in the garbage, and start all over again. Just about anything would be better than the last seated Embarc Board of Directors.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Brian, I think your idea is a great one. I remember that, now, very dated Guide.

What has not surfaced, is how HGV will govern once Embarc Resorts. In my opinion, it would be ideal for HGV to throw the former Embarc Board of Directors in the garbage, and start all over again. Just about anything would be better than the last seated Embarc Board of Directors.

Interesting. We’re they put in place by Diamond?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. We’re they put in place by Diamond?

Three of the five directors are Diamond employees. I doubt HGV will change that.

Bill4728

Reaction score
At this time there is so much that is unknown about Embarc and what will happen with Hilton that I think the best idea is do nothing with the FAQ until HGVC announces what will happen to Embarc.

RE the FAQ
All of the info about exchanging is totally useless. BUT with HGVC coming that should be clearer soon.
I have no idea what is going on with the cost of Embarc points both resale and retail.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Three of the five directors are Diamond employees. I doubt HGV will change that.
Points owned by the developer are weighted about about 10 times more than regular member points, so even with most points owned by regular people the developer has a huge say in elections. Three directors where just re-elected no idea their back round

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Posted in 2015
According to member posts on Facebook, "There are 4.3 million Club Intrawest points in total, Intrawest ULC owned 162,000 at the end of 2014. Those points give Intrawest 162,000 votes for the Board, Intrawest gets 1 vote per point. Members owned 4.1 million points, giving members 276,000 votes, members get 1 vote per 15 points."

"That means that we would need somewhere above 60% of the membership to vote to equal the voting power of Intrawest."

"Just read through a Purchase Agreement and found that if points are financed by Intrawest, the member has no voting rights until the loan is 100% paid out. Intrawest gets the votes, contract states that they do not have to act in members interest when voting etc... and that the loan can be assigned to anyone that the company chooses (Diamond Resorts)."
So my last post was wrong developer points aren't weighted 10 /1 but 15/1. AND members with a developer loan get no votes.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
So my last post was wrong developer points aren't weighted 10 /1 but 15/1. AND members with a developer loan get no votes.
Not quite right yet...Members who are in default don't get a vote. Those with a loan do

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Embarc (which will be in HGVC, not HGV) has yet to go through the same process as Diamond for the resorts in "Hilton Vacation Club" in order to allow members to participate in HGV Max - ie: realigning points values and other aspects so they are in common with other Hilton properties, to allow trades.
Rebranding starts this fall however I don't believe the rest of what needs to be done will be ready to implement until later. So for now, status quo and when changes are ready to be launched a big announcement. Note that due to the Master Declaration in place, no substantive changes will occur for members of Embarc - for those who listen in to the Board meetings, they will have heard this in the last couple of meetings from the Hilton VPs now on the Embarc board.
Next board meeting will be Oct 5th and phone conference participation will be available as usual.
Details for phone in and meeting agenda are always posted to the the Facebook group several days before the meeting.
www.facebook.com/groups/clubintrawestowners

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
found this older page from 2013 and converted it to at least a modern format, im sure some of the information probably carried over to the Embarc rebranding, but perhaps not!

how much of this is valid, and how much is utterly useless if we were to create a new article/guide for Embarc today?

I'd be happy to help once the changes due to the Hilton takeover have been announced. Not much point doing an edit now, changes will happen in a few months at most. Although some changes need to be made, member guidelines shouldn't be changing (rules for reserving etc). Note that since Diamond & Embarc are now "split" and no longer in the same "bucket", (Diamond is HGV and Embarc HGVC) Embarc resorts postings should be moved to the HGVC forum as that is what they will be/are now.

Last edited:

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Three of the 5 directors are Hilton executives. Robert Reyes is still there (Operations for Embarc), Stan Soroka and Neil Hutchinson are the Hilton VPs who replaced Mark Nuzzo and Maria Kalber from Diamond.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
At this time there is so much that is unknown about Embarc and what will happen with Hilton that I think the best idea is do nothing with the FAQ until HGVC announces what will happen to Embarc.

RE the FAQ
All of the info about exchanging is totally useless. BUT with HGVC coming that should be clearer soon.
I have no idea what is going on with the cost of Embarc points both resale and retail.
Resale values have gone up since the Hilton takeover - not super fantastic but have increased from the $10/point value most transactions were at a couple of years ago. There is much activity/transactions in the Embarc Facebook group I quoted previously for both "rentals" and outright purchases of points. Only members of Embarc admitted. Demand has definitely gone up. Will it stay that way? I believe it will depend on what "benefits/enhancements" Hilton brings to the clubs and whether resales (and existing owners) can obtain these without spending 15-20k on new developer points.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
responded to your PM, thank you!

Reactions: cd5

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I'd be happy to help once the changes due to the Hilton takeover have been announced. Not much point doing an edit now, changes will happen in a few months at most. Although some changes need to be made, member guidelines shouldn't be changing (rules for reserving etc). Note that since Diamond & Embarc are now "split" and no longer in the same "bucket", (Diamond is HGV and Embarc HGVC) Embarc resorts postings should be moved to the HGVC forum as that is what they will be/are now.
Since (as reported) CI/Embarc will become part of HGVC, then this revised information would best be posted in the HGVC forum. Thank you for volunteering, much appreciated. I would be happy to include it with our other HGVC Sticky information.

Reactions: cd5

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the parent company/lead business entity of Hilton's timeshare company, is Hilton Grand Vacations. https://investors.hgv.com/overview/default.aspx

Bill4728

Reaction score

Although I'm not happy with the current BOD, HGVC just can't throw them out. BUT Since most are DRI employees ( now HGVC) , their boss could ask them to resign.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Bill, the DRI executives (except Robert Reyes who now also works for HGV) have been changed. Neil Hutchison and Stan Soroka from Hilton were named to replace them in the spring and then were elected (with the developer voting power) in June.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

Three of the 5 directors are Hilton executives. Robert Reyes is still there (Operations for Embarc), Stan Soroka and Neil Hutchinson are the Hilton VPs who replaced Mark Nuzzo and Maria Kalber from Diamond.
Out of curiosity, if 3 of the 5 directors are from the developer and developer points are weighted 15-1, how did Embarc successfully block further integration into Diamond when they acquired Embarc?

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
The same way Club Intrawest did with Diamond - the governance documents have very particular terms that can't be changed very easily - they also require a member vote (with a certain percentage) that is difficult to attain for substantive changes. It's 95% sold, the déclarant (developer) has only 5% (or thereabouts)
As well, the déclarant (developer) also votes for the 4th board member - who is not employed by the developer. One 1 position out of the 5 on the board is voted on by members only (currently me).
Note that anything I share here is in my personal capacity and that I do not speak in forums/FB as a Board member.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Chantal / CD5

I can't thank you enough for the work you're doing on behave of the Embarc members. And also keeping us informed here on TUG about the going on at Embarc.

Bill Bunker
Embarc member since 2001