• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Embarc Board election is on - deadline June 1, 5pm PST

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
For Embarc members - 2 positions are up for a vote again this year. Join our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/clubintrawestowners to learn more about why both incumbents are virtually guaranteed their positions again this year due to the voting power of the declarant/developer.
Jonathan Mayer is the candidate our group recommends for strategic voting as a block - and we also recommend placing all votes on this candidate (no splitting between two) in order to improve our chances of getting our candidate on board. Diamond has 15 X the voting power per point of individual members, and so will be placing 1 vote each worth over 223k in voting power on each of the incumbents...

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
For Embarc members - 2 positions are up for a vote again this year. Join our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/clubintrawestowners to learn more about why both incumbents are virtually guaranteed their positions again this year due to the voting power of the declarant/developer.
Jonathan Mayer is the candidate our group recommends for strategic voting as a block - and we also recommend placing all votes on this candidate (no splitting between two) in order to improve our chances of getting our candidate on board. Diamond has 15 X the voting power per point of individual members, and so will be placing 1 vote each worth over 223k in voting power on each of the incumbents...

So if the incumbents are virtually guaranteed, what's the point?

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
The point is showing them that a large group of members understand "how it works" and that the candidate (one already on board) backed by them can influence certain decisions better than an "advisory board" due to the number of members supporting them and their goals. The number also grows from year to year, now well past quorum numbers for voting a vote of members other than the declarant would be dominated by the "block" of voters in the CIOG group. There's always a chance for an upset - as the group grows, the number of votes (when all put on the 1 candidate) will eventually be more than the declarant vote. It will take time but given that members join the group "organically" rather than solicitation from a list, it is what it is. Voter apathy gives the developer/declarant full control by default.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Well, good luck with your FB voting group. IMO it will only cause a lot of hopes to be crushed. Consider me one of those apathy folks you spoke of. Not worth my time to fight the powers that be.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why does Diamond get 15x the voting power? What kind of racket is that?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does Diamond get 15x the voting power? What kind of racket is that?
Diamond get 15x the voting power because Club Intrawest has created the club like that with two classes of points.
Diamond get 3x the voting power in the US and Hawaii Collections because Sunterra created those Collections like that.

It's like multi voting shares in a company with different class of shares to permit founders to keep control of the company even if they own few shares.
See https://www.investopedia.com/articles/fundamental/04/092204.asp for examples.

I'd have to see that in writing before I believe it.
I don't know where it is written that the declarant get 1 vote per point but in some documents I read on https://www.citheownersgroup.org/club-instruments, it is written that owners get 1 vote per 15 points.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Exactly right Youppi. It is in the master declaration for the club and Fried Shrimp, I know what I'm talking about because I am also a board member for Embarc and have taken the time - in early 2016 when Diamond bought Club Intrawest - to read all the legal documents. That's when many members discovered a few hard facts about how the clubs were controlled - and had been since inception. Have you done as much for your timeshare? You could get a few surprises...

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Exactly right Youppi. It is in the master declaration for the club and Fried Shrimp, I know what I'm talking about because I am also a board member for Embarc and have taken the time - in early 2016 when Diamond bought Club Intrawest - to read all the legal documents. That's when many members discovered a few hard facts about how the clubs were controlled - and had been since inception. Have you done as much for your timeshare? You could get a few surprises...

I do as much as I can for the owners of Diamond resorts in my spare time after work. I run a website for sharing information and help train people on how to use what they own better.

If you'd like to see my work feel free to visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/DRIUSF

BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking to see something in writing which anyone who has ever been to a Diamond update should be able to attest to.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Well I happen to do the same thing... I set up the website Youppi quoted and am the admin for a 5000+ member Facebook site for Embarc members (clubintrawestowners) - not a fan club page but an informative one. Not sure why you thought I didn't know what I was talking about and right away assumed I didn't...

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Well I happen to do the same thing... I set up the website Youppi quoted and am the admin for a 5000+ member Facebook site for Embarc members (clubintrawestowners) - not a fan club page but an informative one. Not sure why you thought I didn't know what I was talking about and right away assumed I didn't...

I have even suggested you didn't know what you were talking about but you assumed, and stated as such, that I didn't.

Don't know why you consider my page a "fan club page"? Have you even been on it? Why the pompous attitude because I asked for something in writing?

Never mind. Just some other person with their nose stuck a bit high in the air that can be ignored.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Fried Shrimp, I haven't been rude nor made personal comments about you. Unnecessary to escalate. FYI - Fan club comment had nothing to do with your site - haven't seen it nor have any interest.

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have even suggested you didn't know what you were talking about but you assumed, and stated as such, that I didn't.

Don't know why you consider my page a "fan club page"? Have you even been on it? Why the pompous attitude because I asked for something in writing?

Never mind. Just some other person with their nose stuck a bit high in the air that can be ignored.

Fried_shrimp, you may find credible information at a kiosk on Sainte-Catherine Street, at Saint-Laurent Boulevard, in Montreal.

Remember, those who own Embarc points own something that, at present, more resembles nothing, and that has a many year history of abysmal performance on the secondary market. In my opinion, Hilton Grand Vacations stands a solid shot at raising the bar on Embarc, although, it is far from clear, what price Embarc members will pay for that privilege, and it is not clear what control, if any, the current Embarc Board of Directors have on the future rendition of Embarc by Hilton Grand Vacations. What is clear is that the multi-year campaign of the Club Intrawest Owners Group, succeeded by the Emwest Owners Association, to gain independent leadership/control of Embarc, is again facing the reality of unwavering third party (e.g. developer, management company) control.