• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Electing Fixed Vistana Week to Abound

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a fixed week 52 at Lagunamar that is enrolled.

Sadly, if I elect Abound points, I just get the standard platinum number of points (4950 instead of 8300....I think that's gotta be a record for skim). We're tied to the school year for the next 10+ years and it was worth the bit of a price premium to me to always have that week. We will likely use the reservation most years, but I don't see it happening in 2025.

Anyways, I just wanted to confirm my understanding on how to elect Abound points:

Right now I have a confirmed reservation for week 52 in 2025. If I want to elect Abound points, I will need to first cancel my 2025 week reservation. Once that's complete, I should be able to elect Abound points. Is that correct?

Second, it sounds like if I cancel my reservation, I will no longer be able to confirm week 52 -- I've essentially given that up, but I could still make a Home Resort Reservation. Is that right?

I'm a little bit hesitant to cancel, because if there's something weird and I can't elect Abound points, it would stink to have given up the Week 52. I own Kierland 1 bedrooms, and since I never had a reservation, I've always just elected, and never had to cancel.

I can still get plenty of value out of the staroptions. In a lot of cases, I'd prefer to keep the staroptions, but for my usage over the next 18ish months, I think Abound points makes the most sense.

Lastly, if you were me would you try to rent out the reservation, and use the proceeds to rent in Abound points?

I have previously rented out some great weeks with Redweek, but it just seems like there's so many listings and we're so far away that I just don't see it moving anytime soon.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I just own 'floating' weeks at WKORVN and Lagunamar and contrary to what seems to be the majority opinion I'm managing to get (in my eyes) plenty of benefits out of electing to Abound. However, in your case it would seem wasteful to have bought a premium week and not to be getting perceived value for it. Having said that, for just over the 4950 points you quote (5,400) I just booked 2x2BR for a week (sleeps 12 in total) in France next September for a family vacation to celebrate my 65th birthday.

Like you mention, I'm finding the rental market to be saturated and it seems quite difficult to sell weeks so far in advance.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a fixed week 52 at Lagunamar that is enrolled.

Sadly, if I elect Abound points, I just get the standard platinum number of points (4950 instead of 8300....I think that's gotta be a record for skim). We're tied to the school year for the next 10+ years and it was worth the bit of a price premium to me to always have that week. We will likely use the reservation most years, but I don't see it happening in 2025.

Anyways, I just wanted to confirm my understanding on how to elect Abound points:

Right now I have a confirmed reservation for week 52 in 2025. If I want to elect Abound points, I will need to first cancel my 2025 week reservation. Once that's complete, I should be able to elect Abound points. Is that correct?

Second, it sounds like if I cancel my reservation, I will no longer be able to confirm week 52 -- I've essentially given that up, but I could still make a Home Resort Reservation. Is that right?

I'm a little bit hesitant to cancel, because if there's something weird and I can't elect Abound points, it would stink to have given up the Week 52. I own Kierland 1 bedrooms, and since I never had a reservation, I've always just elected, and never had to cancel.

I can still get plenty of value out of the staroptions. In a lot of cases, I'd prefer to keep the staroptions, but for my usage over the next 18ish months, I think Abound points makes the most sense.

Lastly, if you were me would you try to rent out the reservation, and use the proceeds to rent in Abound points?

I have previously rented out some great weeks with Redweek, but it just seems like there's so many listings and we're so far away that I just don't see it moving anytime soon.

Thanks!

Are you 100% sure you're not getting more points? Perhaps something is not correctly set up in the system. I would argue with them about that. Structurally, they should have a problem with all their deposits, especially at Lagunamar, if all the deposit rights aren't transferred to Abound. They can't have it both ways: on one hand, pretend that Abound members can book Vistana resorts at 12 months because all the rights are transmitted, and on the other hand, give you 4900 points as if it were a regular platinum week.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure you're not getting more points? Perhaps something is not correctly set up in the system. I would argue with them about that. Structurally, they should have a problem with all their deposits, especially at Lagunamar, if all the deposit rights aren't transferred to Abound. They can't have it both ways: on one hand, pretend that Abound members can book Vistana resorts at 12 months because all the rights are transmitted, and on the other hand, give you 4900 points as if it were a regular platinum week.
I am 100% sure that’s what I get if elect abound points.

For some reason some event weeks (like week 51 and 52 at the kaanapali resorts) get more than the platinum equivalent and others do not.

I’d love to get the reasoning, and like even more to get something closer to the abound points value, but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps "fixed week 52" is not the same as "event week 52"?

Everything at WKORV/N week 52 was sold as event weeks, and not available to the floating pool.

I think think only 50% of WLR week 52 were sold as fixed, but everyone in the same season can still float in?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps "fixed week 52" is not the same as "event week 52"?

Everything at WKORV/N week 52 was sold as event weeks, and not available to the floating pool.

I think think only 50% of WLR week 52 were sold as fixed, but everyone in the same season can still float in?
It is an event week 52 at WLR.

My understanding is the same as yours:

About half of weeks 51/52 sold at WLR were event weeks, and the others are floating.

I believe I can float to other weeks. I believe WKORV/N owners can float to other weeks as well.

Perhaps the difference is that MVC doesn’t need to give me a premium because they can always use other platinum weeks at WLR to get week 52 in the abound inventory. Whereas at WKORV/N, people MUST elect into abound to make week 51/52 available to abound (unless the trust owns those weeks).

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d love to get the reasoning, and like even more to get something closer to the abound points value, but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

As this is not a customer service issue, you would need to escalate it, as contacting customer service would be a complete waste of time.

The effort is worth about 3,000 points a year and clarifies what rights are actually transferred to Abound when owners deposit their weeks. In my opinion, they should give you close to 8,000 points, or else there are even bigger issues with how they structured the booking process at 12 months during the home resort reservation period. IMO, at Lagunamar they have that problem anyway, but by giving event weeks their true value, they would at least make their position more consistent.