• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Eileen Hayes [AKA Sarah Pullen] [hearing impaired buyer scam]

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with Eileen Hayes before? She wants to buy one of my timeshares and I want to be sure it's real. The timeshare in question is worth what she is offering on a resale basis. Below are two of the emails I received. She says she is starting a vacation rental company and wants to close through First American Title. Appreciate any insight you might have.

Robert,

Thanks for the details. Having reviewed all the information provided, I have made my offer as clearly as possible below.

1- I will be willing to pay $4,500 for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

2- I am hearing impaired in both ears and as a result, I will doing all closing formalities through my broker. I will be responsible for the closing cost and title transfer fees along with my broker fees.

3- Closing will be done through First American title transfer(www.firstam.com/title) and funds will be held in Escrow during closing.

Let me know if this works and I will inform you on the next step.

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

Robert,

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry regarding your timeshare. Please note that although I am a private buyer, I am interested in purchasing your timeshare because I am about to start a vacation rental company so I need a number of timeshare weeks to be able to commence. I am NOT a broker or a listing company. I hope we can come to an agreement on the sale at a reasonable price ASAP.

Please provide information on your timeshare(s) such as weeks of availability, yearly maintenance fees and if your resort can be exchanged via RCI or interval.

I will wait to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree it is odd and you should be cautious. Why would someone need a broker if she is reaching out directly to you?

However, First American is legit, and you should be able to independently verify escrow/closing by calling them DIRECTLY to verify. Don't fall for scams where they call you or she provides a phony number to call. If anything does not check out, then you have your answer.

Good luck.

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
wasn't ther a hearing ipaired scam thread not a long time ago?

run a search on these boards for hearing impaired.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a scam but not sure what the scam is if they are buying the timeshare. The hearing impaired is what made me suspicious and sounds like this one goes way back.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a scam but not sure what the scam is if they are buying the timeshare. The hearing impaired is what made me suspicious and sounds like this one goes way back.

The scam is they send you a fake cashier's check for too much money and ask you return the over payment. By the time your bank finds out the cashier's check is fake, you've already wired your own money to their broker who is traveling in Egypt.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe anyone would fall for that one in 2016. So First American Title is not real.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe anyone would fall for that one in 2016. So First American Title is not real.

It still happens all the time, especially with uninformed people desperate to get rid of a timeshare.

It smells like a scam with a fake name. What city/state is this person supposedly from? The first thing I do when someone wants to buy or rent is find out if they exist. I won't fall for the scam but I also do not want to waste time going back and forth just to find out later.

One time I had a used fridge on craigslist. A scammer supposedly from TX wanted to send me a cashiers check. After cashing he would send his freight guy to pick it up. I am in central Florida and he was supposedly going to freight a $100 used fridge to Texas. It was so ridiculous I let him send me the check. It ended up being for $1,583.67. :hysterical:

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Fwiw, there is indeed a very real and completely valid entity named First American Title.

Sadly, the company name has been repeatedly misused by various "hearing impaired" scammers with mythical "brokers" (the name Samuel Kaplan has often surfaced as the "broker", although Sammy is somehow always "unavailable", allegedly off attending a "timeshare convention" --- in Egypt, no less). :hysterical:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to sift through a bunch of threads on this, because if something seems too good to be true- as seems likely when TSs are selling for $1 and this OP has an offer for thousands.

But iirc, someone took the offered up on the deal and got a First Am check, presented the big check at their office and was told something like, Oh yes, that was stolen some time ago and continues to circulate. It's bogus.

Jim

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
First American Title is a tested and true escrow/closing company.

The whole premise seems fishy, hence the advice to check with First American directly if an escrow account is provided to send funds.

-ryan

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is a well-known scam, that has been running for a couple of years, at least.

First American Title is real - but the scammers have no intention of actually using this company - it's just part of the scam. When the time comes, they will direct you to send the funds to a different address.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's a scam. It's practically word for word on one I received a month ago from Sarah Pullen.

Tracey,

Thanks for the details. Having reviewed all the information provided, I have made my offer as clearly as possible below.

1- I will be willing to pay $4,000 for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

2- I am hearing impaired in both ears and as a result, I will doing all closing formalities through my broker. I will be responsible for the closing cost and title transfer fees along with my broker fees.

3- Closing will be done through First American title transfer (www.firstam.com/title) and funds will be held in Escrow during closing.

Let me know if this works and I will inform you on the next

and earlier
Thank you for your reply to my inquiry regarding your timeshare. Please note that although I am a private buyer, I am interested in purchasing your timeshare, I am NOT a broker or a listing company. I hope we can come to an agreement ASAP.

I just have a couple of questions; Do you have a clear title, What is your asking price? I will make you an offer as soon as I have your response.

Regards,
Sarah

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with Eileen Hayes before? She wants to buy one of my timeshares and I want to be sure it's real. The timeshare in question is worth what she is offering on a resale basis. Below are two of the emails I received. She says she is starting a vacation rental company and wants to close through First American Title. Appreciate any insight you might have.

Robert,

1- I will be willing to pay $4,500 for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

3- Closing will be done through First American title transfer(www.firstam.com/title) and funds will be held in Escrow during closing.

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

Robert,

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry regarding your timeshare. Please note that although I am a private buyer, I am interested in purchasing your timeshare because I am about to start a vacation rental company so I need a number of timeshare weeks to be able to commence. I am NOT a broker or a listing company. I hope we can come to an agreement on the sale at a reasonable price ASAP.

Please provide information on your timeshare(s) such as weeks of availability, yearly maintenance fees and if your resort can be exchanged via RCI or interval.

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

NO DOUBT it is a scam. Give the scam right back and tell "Eileen Hayes" that you will need to cash the check and wait four months to be sure it clears. That will be the last you hear from those scammers!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One time I had a used fridge on craigslist. A scammer supposedly from TX wanted to send me a cashiers check. After cashing he would send his freight guy to pick it up. I am in central Florida and he was supposedly going to freight a $100 used fridge to Texas. It was so ridiculous I let him send me the check. It ended up being for $1,583.67. :hysterical:

I did something similar once - but I had him send the check to the CA Attorney General's Office.

reba111

Reaction score
Eileen Hayes ehayes1901&1805@gmail.com scam!!

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

Robert,

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

Robert, she sent me this 2 days ago, but I am a realtor and contacted the title company and told her to send them the money) LOl.. She or he said don't waste my time if you are not going to give me your address. SCAM

Reba,

1- I will be willing to pay $33,500 for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

Reba,

Thanks for accepting my offer.

Please provide below information so I can mail in a deposit of 500 dollars to hold the property. As soon as deposit is mailed in, my broker will be in touch to arrange documentation, paperwork and escrow details. This would take a few weeks. When this is done, balance will be released to you from Escrow to close the sale.

Full names you want on the check
Mailing address
Phone numbers.

Awaiting your feedback.

Sincerely,
Eileen Hayes

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I had a guy who had an RV to sell in my town. Once I mentioned I was in that town, suddenly the RV was two states away. I asked for a phone number, and he suddenly he'd had "a tracheotomy surgery" so we'd have to do everything by eMail.

If they won't talk to you--who might, by the way, capture their phone number on your Caller ID--then it's a scam!

reba111

Reaction score
Eileen Hayes ehayes1901&1805@gmail.com scam!!

If anyone receives an email from Elieen Hayes, it a scam. Read below ,

1- I will be willing to pay $33,500 for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

Let me know if this works and I will inform you on the next step. SCAMMMMMM

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think the "hearing impaired" buyer scam has been going on for some time. Here is the message I received from "Frank Tesoro" in September 2012, and even at that time it was dog-eared:
I hope you had a nice weekend. Thanks for the details. Having reviewed all the information provided, I have made my offer as clearly as possible below.

1- I will be willing to pay 2,700 dollars for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

Kind Regards,
Frank Tesoro
I played it along to see where it would lead. It got to the point where he wanted to send me a check as deposit to hold the timeshare while the sale was being set up. I told him that no deposit was needed; we could handle everything through the escrow account, and asked that he send me the contact information for his broker so we could get the escrow account established.

He insisted that he had to send me a deposit; that he has bought and sold many timeshares that making a deposit was the way that timeshares are bought and sold. I terminated things at that point, since I didn't want to provide him with physical location information. If I had a PO Box I would have let it play longer, just to use up his time and maybe have him incur some expense to send a check.

I'm pretty sure that the check would have been for more than the amount of the deposit, with instructions to send the overage to the broker.

By the way, inspecting the internet headers on the e-mail, I was able to trace the origin of the email to north Africa.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The wording was almost verbatim with the email I received so this is obviously a scam. Thanks for all the replies.

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank GOD for tug

This is what I just received:John,

1- I will be willing to pay $65,000 for your timeshare, closing will commence within the next few days.

3- Closing will be done through First American title transfer (www.firstam.com/title) and funds will be held in Escrow during closing.

Let me know if this works and I will inform you on the next

Sincerely,
Sarah Pullen

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
How does the scam work if you don't return the money! How long does it take the banking system to figure out the check is fraudulent?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How does the scam work if you don't return the money! How long does it take the banking system to figure out the check is fraudulent?

As soon as you receive the check, they will put a lot of pressure on you to send the payment right away, in the hope that you will send it, before it bounces.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They will also have your name, address and phone number. It is never a good idea to give those out to obvious know scammers. I would expect them to sell that info to other scammers who may use that info in who knows what way.