• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Eight weeks scheduled for Marriott this year, READY TO CANCEL ALL

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow TUG members please advise. I consider you guys the greatest support group in America. Hopefully everyone stays safe and healthy.
We have four weeks at Cypress Harbour 5 Sept - 3 October 2020. With the rapid growth in Florida of Covid cases it looks like we will lose out on four Getaway weeks. We live in Las Vegas and had planned on driving the 2,000 miles. 99 percent positive we will just stay home for this vacation. The next week is Halloween week at Marriott Newport and it’s a simple four hour drive.This was a Marriott to Marriott exchange.

please advise on three exchange weeks To Hawaii starting 29 November. If we cancel today we get those weeks back correct. They are all Marriott to Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You won't get any exchange weeks back if they are through II. If you have exchanges through II that are outside 60 days from checkin and you cancel, you will get a cancellation replacement week that is good for 1 year from the day you cancel. There won't be any restrictions on the deposit and it should work like any other deposit, but it may expire before the original deposit was set to expire.

If they are DC point reservations and the reservations were made with 2020 points, you won't be able to bank the points (unless you are Executive or higher owner). The banking deadline for 2020 points has past.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For Marriott to Marriott and if they are enrolled and exchanged though the corporate account, you could potentially retrade them as well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello fellow TUG members please advise. I consider you guys the greatest support group in America. Hopefully everyone stays safe and healthy.
We have four weeks at Cypress Harbour 5 Sept - 3 October 2020. With the rapid growth in Florida of Covid cases it looks like we will lose out on four Getaway weeks. We live in Las Vegas and had planned on driving the 2,000 miles. 99 percent positive we will just stay home for this vacation. The next week is Halloween week at Marriott Newport and it’s a simple four hour drive.This was a Marriott to Marriott exchange.

please advise on three exchange weeks To Hawaii starting 29 November. If we cancel today we get those weeks back correct. They are all Marriott to Marriott.
I’ve been at the grand vista since June 1st. I think by then you’ll be ok. I wouldn’t cancel anything and just plan on going. You don’t know what news comes out next week. FWIW there have been a good mix of families and the elder population here. I’d think in the fall you will be ok.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I’ve been at the grand vista since June 1st. I think by then you’ll be ok. I wouldn’t cancel anything and just plan on going. You don’t know what news comes out next week. FWIW there have been a good mix of families and the elder population here. I’d think in the fall you will be ok.
I think you can also manage your risk pretty well at the resorts that are spread out like the ones in Orlando. Even at Oceana Palms we were able to socially distance, and that is a small footprint. We had the gym to ourselves as long as we went early enough, and we grabbed takeout from the snack bar a couple of times. We did make the decision not to go to Universal yet because we didn't want to do that much walking around with masks on. I know some have loved it there with the lower crowds, but I consider that a higher risk behavior.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
My only question is whether you will have enough to do in Orlando. Tons of other things besides the parks, many nature oriented if you are into that stuff.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think you can also manage your risk pretty well at the resorts that are spread out like the ones in Orlando. Even at Oceana Palms we were able to socially distance, and that is a small footprint. We had the gym to ourselves as long as we went early enough, and we grabbed takeout from the snack bar a couple of times. We did make the decision not to go to Universal yet because we didn't want to do that much walking around with masks on. I know some have loved it there with the lower crowds, but I consider that a higher risk behavior.

I agree with this general philosophy. Just because cases in a given state are growing rapidly doesn't mean your chance of infection goes up just because you cross the border into that state. The cases are generally going up there it seems as a result of people who are not taking the precautions they should - going to crowded bars without masks, congregating at parties, maybe in some cases even the protests that took place may have played a small role. If you go there and behave in a responsible manner as you are doing (or should be doing) at home, the risk should not be overall that much greater I would think.

Obviously, the decision to cancel or not is bigger than just the infection chances, since decisions by state governments to shut down services or enforce quarantines on travel could impact the viability of your trip, regardless of the true underlying medical risk. Given the cancellation flexibility issues with timeshare weeks, and your alternatives to retain some of your value, the cancel or not decision may ultimately fall on how comfortable you are in rolling the dice on the timeshare risk as much as the medical risk.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Cypress Harbour is easy to social distance at with its sprawling grounds. I would go. We went last month and are going again next month. I read books and watched old classic movies (and ordered carry out) with a fantastic view of the lake from the couch or dining room table. We drove over to the beach one day mid week and watched the ocean waves roll in.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 2 weeks at Harbour Lake last month-and now after traveling through 5 states on a road trip to South Dakota-I'd feel better and "safer" at the MVC resorts than just about anywhere else. Seems Marriott is taking the physical distancing, mask for employees, extra cleaning etc seriously. I personally witnessed pool staff cleaning loungers (set apart from each other in groups) while there.
Everyone has to make their own risk assessment though.
We will be back to Florida at Grande Vista in August. If I am still WFH I am seriously tempted to go 2 weeks instead of one...

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the resorts I have been to are almost completely empty, and spotlessly clean. Lovely grounds to wander around in. Since maybe only 4 or 5 units in a whole resorts are occupied social distancing is NO problem. Think of it as living at home only in a vacation setting . Wear masks when you go for carry out or groceries, and visit places that may be closed for a tour, but their lovely grounds are open and enjoy. You will find lovely parks with walking trails, etc. We are still traveling to what we feel are "safe" states and in a few days head to Newport, RI. When the borders open we will be across the water. Don't cancel unless you are really uncomfortable. It does you good to get away, and feel a degree of normalcy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
All the resorts I have been to are almost completely empty, and spotlessly clean. Lovely grounds to wander around in. Since maybe only 4 or 5 units in a whole resorts are occupied social distancing is NO problem. Think of it as living at home only in a vacation setting . Wear masks when you go for carry out or groceries, and visit places that may be closed for a tour, but their lovely grounds are open and enjoy. You will find lovely parks with walking trails, etc. We are still traveling to what we feel are "safe" states and in a few days head to Newport, RI. When the borders open we will be across the water. Don't cancel unless you are really uncomfortable. It does you good to get away, and feel a degree of normalcy.
I am not sure what resorts you have been to recently, but I am not sure that only 4-5 units have been occupied at the ones we've been to. Even at Oceana Palms at the end of May, it still had about 15 units occupied. All other resorts since then have run between 35% and 60% occupancy. With the removal of pool lounger, sometimes finding a chair poolside can be a challenge, but social distancing really hasn't been a problem except for peak afternoon hours around the pool.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year has been a total bust. During April, 2020 of this year. Our two (2) weeks normal stay at the Marriott's Manor Club in Williamsburg. There were less than fifteenth (15) guests during our two (2) weeks stay.

We have cancel four (4) weeks of timeshare vacations, a two (2) weeks vacation in Hawaii, and our fourteen (14) day cruise for 2020.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at Grande Ocean for two weeks and it is at 85% according to the front desk manager.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big Matt you are in South Carolina during the summer months. The coronavirus is spiking in the state of South Carolina and HHI.

I hope you are wearing a mask and practicing social distancing.

Sounds liked the resort housekeeping staff will have their hands full cleaning those 85% occupied villas after the vacationers leave.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro, it's very strange here. As you know, GO is a huge resort, but there are not a lot of people walking around. Not a lot of kids. Not a lot of folks grilling. The beach is so wide that it's really easy to stay away from others. Most of the pool chairs are gone. I'm also using it as a remote work environment so during the week I will be working in the condo and heading out early and late when it isn't as crowded. Our neighbors are coming for six days starting on Thursday and we're just going to hit the beach and have fun in the unit.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprise that GO is at 85% capacity. That is more than 75% of the state mandate.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dioxide45m
We haven't been any further South then Va., 3 weeks at Manor Club Sequal, wandered the grounds daily in the Colonial area, no exhibits open which was fine with us, but the grounds were all open. There were 2 rest rooms we found at the Colonial area, both spotless. Got darling outfits for my darling granddaughter at Patrick Henry Mall Macy's , Dillard's and J.C. Penny's, during the weekday , no one in the stores. There are nice walking trails around Williamsburg also. They closed Kmart so nothing for me. I am waiting 'til I get to Germany when the borders open and shop for myself at Woolworth's and NKD. I also got a haircut. :)
We also were at Marriott Custom House in Boston, lovely place , wandered around Boston to all the outdoor sights, had a rental car and went to Salem and other spots. You could not pay me enough to go to Florida, and a laundry list of other places, South and Mid West and West Coast. Wouldn't go if they put us up at a St. Regis, Ritz Carlton, or Waldorf Astoria, all paid for including food. Heading for Newport in a few days, I am doing the countdown, can't wait. Only thing I was sorry about, Pret a Manger in Boston was closed, so no carry out from them.
Pedro47, we missed each other by a month, we were there in May. We were in London in March at a Marriott hotel

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprise that GO is at 85% capacity. That is more than 75% of the state mandate.
Pedro, Hilton Head is very busy. What I noticed most is that there are a LOT of folks from New York, New Jersey, PA, Ohio, etc. That was a little surprising. I've had no problem with social distancing here. To your point about the cleaning....we arrived at about 5:15 and my unit was just being finished.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
We just left Hilton Head (Grand Ocean) on Sunday and had no trouble social distancing at the resort, although the area looked busy. We stayed on the beach and there was enough room to stay 6 feet from another family. We did not eat out so I have no idea about the restaurants and things we normally do, we did not, my kids did ride bikes and they commented that it was very busy on the trails. The units were very clean and the people that work there all wore masks. All in all a very nice place and trip.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have three II Marriott to Marriott weeks in Hawaii that start on 29 November, so we need to cancel by 29 September to not lose these weeks, Correct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We have three II Marriott to Marriott weeks in Hawaii that start on 29 November, so we need to cancel by 29 September to not lose these weeks, Correct?
I see now that these are II exchanges. You would need to cancel by September 29th to get a cancellation replacement week, good for 1 year from the date you cancel. If you cancel after the 60 day window, you still get a cancellation replacement, but it is only good for exchanges inside of 60 days of checkin.

Last edited:

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded our three weeks owned at Grande Vista.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded our three weeks owned at Grande Vista.

Are your Grande Vista weeks enrolled in the Marriott destination club?

I ask because if they are your Marriott to Marriott exchanges on II are free and so you can simply retrade manually to another Marriott with no cost instead of cancelling and getting a replacement week. Still best to do this at 60 days+ so you avoid flexchange restrictions.

Last edited: