• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Edinburgh Residence question

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just booked a studio at the Edinburgh Residence for March. I took the studio 4/2 but I can also get a studio 2/2. Does anyone know what the difference is? I don't want two doubles - I would prefer 1 King, but I am not sure that is the difference. The website list a classic suite for 2 and a Grand Suite with a sofa sleeper. I am hoping that is the 4/2.

Also, many reviews on Tripadvisor talk about the great breakfast. I assume with RCI we would not be eligible for that, but I am not really sure.

Thanks for your help.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
How?

How did you book the Edinburgh Residence? I have been trying for some time on II, without luck. Often they won't even let me put it on my ongoing request.

Corinne

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite exchanges

We stayed at the Edinburgh Residence on an II exchange in July of 2006. Our exchange history says it was unit 8, an "efficiency". It was on the lower/basement level, which was not a problem. Tall windows let in loads of light. We were traveling with our daughter, who would have been 8 then. We had a large bed, a king I think, and she had a murphy bed in the LR if I remember correctly. In fact, I think there were two twin murphy beds in the LR. The unit was quite spacious and beautifully furnished.

It was an awesome unit in a great urban resort in a terrific city. I would go again in a heartbeat.

If you're still not sure about the exact bed configuration of the unit you have, I would email the resort and ask. I remember calling them in advance to ask some questions. They were quite helpful.

Cheers,
Corinne

dude-luv

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Resort

Just returned from a week at the Edinburgh Residence in October. (SFX sell-off list $271 for the week). Don't know enough about the room designations but you can participate in the breakfast. It is pricey. Because we exchanged in, we were considered 'owners' and were allowed to attend the owners' reception.

Note that Hapimag is the new management company of the Edinburgh Residence. Management would be very unwise to change the personnel behind the counter as they are excellent.

Very nice timeshare and Edinburgh is a fabulous city.

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was through RCI. Sorry.
I was reading some great things about the Edinburgh Residence, but when I tried to look it up on RCI I wouldn't find it. Does it not show up if it's booked up? I wasn't using any filters in my search, well, just all the places to stay in Scotland.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading some great things about the Edinburgh Residence, but when I tried to look it up on RCI I wouldn't find it. Does it not show up if it's booked up? I wasn't using any filters in my search, well, just all the places to stay in Scotland.

If you are searching inventory, it will only show available inventory. If you want to browse through all their theoretically affiliated resorts, you can do that in the "Resort Directory" on RCI's website. Note that being listed in the directory does not mean you will necessarily be able to get an exchange. Exchange availability is dependent on units being deposited - either by owners or the developers.

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are searching inventory, it will only show available inventory. If you want to browse through all their theoretically affiliated resorts, you can do that in the "Resort Directory" on RCI's website. Note that being listed in the directory does not mean you will necessarily be able to get an exchange. Exchange availability is dependent on units being deposited - either by owners or the developers.
Can you explain how that works...units being deposited? If I have Hilton Club Points but want to use them for an RCI exchange...what exactly do I do?

thanks so much,

I learn so much from the members on this site,

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can you explain how that works...units being deposited? If I have Hilton Club Points but want to use them for an RCI exchange...what exactly do I do?

thanks so much,

I learn so much from the members on this site,

An owner at the resort must deposit their week with RCI in order for there to be a unit available to exchange for.

Your best bet for info. on exchanging a Hilton week is the Hilton forum.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hapimag is actually the world's oldest timeshare developer, which created the timeshare concept. It seems they bought out the originally developer and added it's remaining inventory to Hapimag's own exchange system, which is not in RCI or II, but has limited trading relationships with DRI and DAE. Hapimag also manages resorts within its system. Individual owners can, of course, still deposit to other exchange systems, but I suspect Hapimag will likely try to convert them to Hapimag members, so the pool may start drying up some in other exchange systems.

Just returned from a week at the Edinburgh Residence in October. (SFX sell-off list $271 for the week). Don't know enough about the room designations but you can participate in the breakfast. It is pricey. Because we exchanged in, we were considered 'owners' and were allowed to attend the owners' reception.

Note that Hapimag is the new management company of the Edinburgh Residence. Management would be very unwise to change the personnel behind the counter as they are excellent.

Very nice timeshare and Edinburgh is a fabulous city.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Hapimag has taken over a building of 29 suites with classically luxurious facilities. The residence was refitted as holiday accommodation in 1996 and has been operated on a timeshare system since then. This means that, with this purchase, Hapimag is taking over the operation of the city residence, as well as the existing contracts of roughly 900 individual timeshare members. However, these timeshare contracts will be expiring in the foreseeable future and Hapimag will have the entire facility at its disposal from 2022."

http://www.sharetimemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=44

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Hapimag has taken over a building of 29 suites with classically luxurious facilities. The residence was refitted as holiday accommodation in 1996 and has been operated on a timeshare system since then. This means that, with this purchase, Hapimag is taking over the operation of the city residence, as well as the existing contracts of roughly 900 individual timeshare members. However, these timeshare contracts will be expiring in the foreseeable future and Hapimag will have the entire facility at its disposal from 2022."

http://www.sharetimemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=44

Doing a little math, then, it would appear that if each timeshare owner had one week, then that would leave around 600 weeks presently for Hapimag members, but probably a bit less as some existing members are likely multi-week owners. Then, too, I would expect Hapimag to be making offers to convert those existing weeks based owners to Hapimag's own points sytem. I don't think I have ever seen a points-based system fail to make that play.