• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Economy in sad shape. Bad for timeshares?

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to conclude the recent finichal melt down is going to be BAD BAD BAD for timeshares and timeshare owners. What do you think???????

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it can't be good for timeshares, I'd say that would be the least of my worries if a financial meltdown occurs.

Home values, retirement savings, economic effects on living standards, etc would all be more imapcted more significantly than any effect on timeshare ownership.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget that we all were in this same state of affairs 20 years ago, how easily we forget that the economy recovers itself...and if we can hold tight through the storm we will get used to the high gas prices, high taxes and everything else...just like we have before.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it can't be good for timeshares, I'd say that would be the least of my worries if a financial meltdown occurs.

Home values, retirement savings, economic effects on living standards, etc would all be more imapcted more significantly than any effect on timeshare ownership.

Well said.

Our TS allow us to still take great vacations with a few minor adjustments.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
One of the possible results from the bad economy could be the number of people that can be expected to go into default with their existing ownership and the MF's. While the banks or developers will be left holding the bag on a defaulted loan, the POA and other owners will face dealing with shortfalls in the MF bank account.

I expect we could see some SA's or higher than normal MF's as a result. On the flip side, perhaps the resorts will have more weeks for sale (cheap) through the foreclosure process??

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One of the possible results from the bad economy could be the number of people that can be expected to go into default with their existing ownership and the MF's. While the banks or developers will be left holding the bag on a defaulted loan, the POA and other owners will face dealing with shortfalls in the MF bank account.

I expect we could see some SA's or higher than normal MF's as a result. On the flip side, perhaps the resorts will have more weeks for sale (cheap) through the foreclosure process??

Maybe the govt will bailout the developers of timeshare resorts as part of the $700 bailout courtesy of US taxpayers! Where's our lobbyist, ARDA?!!! :rolleyes:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Forget The Developers. What About Bailouts For Us ?

Maybe the govt will bailout the developers of timeshare resorts as part of the $700 bailout courtesy of US taxpayers!
The timeshare companies can twist in the wind.

I'd be more interested in bailout checks for us regular walking around timeshare owners -- could use the money to go out & buy more (resale) timeshares.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here ya go Alan. I just received this email with the subject:

URGENT SECRET BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 700 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as leader of American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transaction is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with your all bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I promise respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully,

Minister of Treasury Paulson

Last edited by a moderator:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have already had a phone call to my business regarding a "victim" of this mortgage crisis.

Fellow did a short sale on his house of 5 years. Mortgage company took 70% on the balance of this sale. His payment this year had gone from $1300 to $1500 which includes his property taxes. His taxes had risen over 5 years from $1700 to $2600. He lives in a town which the governor of NJ targeted who needs to consolidate with one of its neighbors (by cutting state subsizing funds as there are over 588 individual towns and 548 school districts in NJ).

His final statement was "I won't pay $1500 per month to live in this town" - not that he CAN'T pay, he WON'T pay. Both he and wife work fulltime, 2 kids and a dog.

With those ethics, we are "saving" him from financial ruin?

Last edited: