• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ebike suggestions please

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Radical new electric bike drive system requires no chains or belts, entirely ride-by-wire.

Richard
I have been reading (with delight) this thread as I am an e-bike owner wanna-be!
I have had good friends enticing me with short rides on their German, Dutch, Swiss, and Taiwan e-bikes: Riese & Muller, Gazelle, Specialized, and Tern, all carried by their favorite E-Bike specialty store and maintenance organization (The New Wheel). I've seen a couple of folks here mention Tern and one or two mentions of Specialized. I figure the Dutch, Swiss, and Taiwan residents spend a LOT of time on bikes - electric and otherwise. Anyone out there run across reviews or opinions of Riese & Muller and Gazelle e-bikes??

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I finally came to the conclusion that I should sell our ebikes. We just don't use them that much. They are fun. Ours still look like new. I guess I will wait until next summer and if we haven't used them by then they are gone.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally came to the conclusion that I should sell our ebikes. We just don't use them that much. They are fun. Ours still look like new. I guess I will wait until next summer and if we haven't used them by then they are gone.

Bill
As the weather has cooled, and with a new puppy eating into my free time- I'm not ready to crate her and go for a ride. I don't get out as much. I think it's time for a pet carrier for the front rack. Hmmm. Not going to sell the bike regardless.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As the weather has cooled, and with a new puppy eating into my free time- I'm not ready to crate her and go for a ride. I don't get out as much. I think it's time for a pet carrier for the front rack. Hmmm. Not going to sell the bike regardless.

I think you can just go for a ride from your house. We could but I'm certain that we would be chased by dogs and that can be a problem. Our ebike routine is mostly trips away from home. With travel restrictions easing we are going to be flying instead of driving more often. Last I looked we had about 120 miles on our ebikes since we bought them.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can just go for a ride from your house. We could but I'm certain that we would be chased by dogs and that can be a problem. Our ebike routine is mostly trips away from home.
Yup. We live in town. It's not a particularly bike-friendly town. Few bike lanes and no special signage on arterials. Boise, (where we have a second home) by comparison is extremely bike friendly. I can use a bike there exclusively. Bike lanes, bike boxes at lights, signs to attractions and the 30+ mile Green Belt along both sides of the river. I have only about 500 miles on my ebike, but sure enjoy it.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cycled to work for more than 15 years & still do. My commute is about 5 miles each way and westside traffic here in LA can take an hour some evenings when driving a car. Doing it by bike takes about 30 minutes.

I've had four e-bikes that I've owned over the past decade, in part to let me get to work without sweating and needing a shower upon arrival. The fact is they are fun, efficient and practical here where we have biking weather more than 300 days a year here. The roads are pretty good and I generally take less traveled side streets parallel to the major arterials. A few years ago a light rail line was completed going from Downtown LA to a couple blocks from the Santa Monica pier. As a part of that project, a segregated bike path runs along the line and accounts for about half of my commute to and from the office now. (It's wonderful!!!!!)

Bikes are bikes and there are thousands of variations...what works for me may not be what you are looking for. There are a number of types and manufacturers as shown in previous posts. I generally like what amounts to a beach cruiser style of bike as a commuter. They are heavy but sturdy, can accommodate panniers (bike saddlebags) and work quite well transporting my 5'10" 280-something pound body around. All of mine have been Class 2 bikes, meaning they are legal to ride on city streets, bike lanes, bike paths and trails, but are restricted to not go more than 20 mph. I add lights which I use day and night to be more visible, fenders to keep the tires from kicking water up on me & wear a helmet when I ride. I also took a safe city streets riding course from the local bike coalition to get a better sense of how to approach traffic.

Two of the bikes I own(ed) were made by a company called iZip and were the "Zuma" model. E-bike designs have trends. The first one we got had the battery in a cage above the rear wheel, creating a book rack above it. It had a throttle and was quite zippy. I got it partially by accident when I put in a winning bid for a fundraiser not thinking that no one would bid above me. I already had three other bikes and I ended up surprising my wife with it for a birthday! She rode it to work about 2 miles for a year and then moved to a job 45 miles away and had to go back to driving. I used it for commuting for several years after that. One thing to note is batteries degrade, much like electric car batteries do. I replaced them with a rebuild from a battery shop outside Las Vegas. The rebuild cost around $600 then. The bike is in occasional use now in Austin where one of my sons took it with him when he moved there a couple years back.

The other Zuma followed a newer trend of having the battery under the seat as part of the seat post, in a compartment built into the frame. The theory was a lower center of gravity was preferred. I added a bike book rack and panniers which clip on to the rack. I still have that bike after riding it for more than six years. Unfortunately this bike had a design flaw where the gear that engages when you pedal forward and releases when you pedal backwards was a cheap plastic internal piece that slips when any significant torque is engaged on the pedals. I had it replaced twice under warranty but the part was just a defective design and it wasn't easily substituted. I still have this bike and use it mostly in full on electric mode, riding up and down a segregated bike path to the beach mornings to go body surfing or surf boarding. It's about 7 miles each way and works well for this, still with the original battery. Both Zuma's have a rear hub motor to propel them.

The third e-bike is a related brand of the parent of iZip, Accell Group, a Raleigh Sprite iE, which essentially is the same bike as the Zuma and may come from the same factory. The trend update on this design was to move the battery to the front down tube, mounted external (bolt on) to the frame in a more slender case that is removable. There is a key'd lock to secure the battery. The motor is now integrated to the pedals and assist driving the chain that powers more like a traditional bike. It didn't come with a throttle but was pre-wired with a connection for an optional thumb lever throttle which I got.

It doesn't have quite as much use on it as the others due to Covid work restrictions and working from home most of last year. This bike I picked up on a black Friday sale from a local bike shop three years ago and use it now as my primary commuter.

Battery range on all these bikes depend on how you ride them. New they all comfortably went 25 miles. The sales information claimed 35 but I never got that from them. I tend to ride mine between 11 - 14 mpg which gives me reasonable speed while not taxing the battery too heavily to get me the distance I desire. The three year old commuter tends to go round trip with range to spare on a single charge. The iZip beach bike maxes out now around 16 miles which is fine. I'm able to go to the beach before work, come home and shower, eat and ride the commuter to and from work. That may sound weird to you, but it works for me as it saves on gas and parking fees. As I mentioned at the beginning these are far more FUN to commute on than driving a car. There is just something about the open air and taking the side streets that lets you experience the neighborhoods that being boxed up in the car doesn't reveal. When I began commuting by bike I was was riding a traditional road bike and wore spandex bike clothes. With the e-bikes I wear regular clothing and again don't need to change when I arrive at a destination.

Each bike ran between $1400 - $2000 complete (price, sales tax & accessories (Lock, lights, panniers, fenders, helmet). All I purchased on sale. I should add there is a maintenance factor to all these bikes when using them to commute regularly. Tune-ups, brakes, tubes and tires get replaced and with heavy use you should budget a few hundred dollars a year for this.

There is a fourth bike which was a conversion kit to a cargo bike. It worked but I had issues with the kit and the bike is out of service these days tucked away behind the garage.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
The Popularity of E-Bikes Isn’t Slowing Down
Motorized bicycles are outselling all-electric cars and have the potential to transform urban transit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/business/e-bikes-urban-transit.html

e-bikes are everywhere. The pandemic bike boom boosted e-bike sales 145 percent from 2019 to 2020, more than double the rate of classic bikes, according to the market research firm NPD Group.
While estimates vary, industry experts put the number of e-bikes Americans brought home in 2020 somewhere around half a million. (In comparison, they bought 231,000 all-electric cars in that time period, according to the Pew Research Center — a rate of about two to one.)

And that growth does not seem to be slowing. Deloitte projected that between 2020 and 2023, 130 million e-bikes would be sold worldwide. At the moment, e-bikes — not cars — appear to be the world’s best-selling electric vehicle, or E.V.

Most e-bikes fall into three categories. With the first, pedal assist, riders are given a motorized boost, like an invisible hand is pushing them forward. The second, a throttle, allows the rider to zoom around, up to 20 miles per hour, without pedaling, and is commonly used by delivery drivers and couriers. And the last is a faster pedal assist, allowing speeds of at least 28 m.p.h.

For New York’s Citi Bike, the electric-blue pedal-assist bikes make up 20 percent of the fleet but carry 35 percent of all rides, according to internal data provided by Lyft, its parent company. Given that monthly Citi Bike rides have topped three million four times this year, that’s a lot.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I hope the new infrastructure bill has money set aside to set up more bike lanes and bike paths. I would love an ebike for errands but worry about safety.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I hope the new infrastructure bill has money set aside to set up more bike lanes and bike paths. I would love an ebike for errands but worry about safety.
If your bike/eBike doesn't come with blinking lights front and back, it's a good idea to get them. It really helps get the attention of distracted drivers. I don't know about other areas, but in the Twin Cities, bikes lanes and trails are often added whenever there's major work on the roads. Google maps is good for route planning bike rides and will choose routes that avoid busy roads or roads without a wide shoulder.

EBikes are heavy. How do owners get them up on a bike rack?

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We have a Kuat bike rack and you can buy a ramp for it that helps load the bikes. We have Gazelle ultimate t10 ebikes and love them! there are many reviews out there.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have been reading (with delight) this thread as I am an e-bike owner wanna-be!

Anyone out there run across reviews or opinions of Riese & Muller and Gazelle e-bikes??

See @wilma's post #362 above.

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
If your bike/eBike doesn't come with blinking lights front and back, it's a good idea to get them. It really helps get the attention of distracted drivers. I don't know about other areas, but in the Twin Cities, bikes lanes and trails are often added whenever there's major work on the roads. Google maps is good for route planning bike rides and will choose routes that avoid busy roads or roads without a wide shoulder.

senior muscles !

There are folding ramps on some bike platform racks

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ours weigh about 70 pounds but I can remove the battery which is about 20 pounds. I fold ours and put them in a crate then put the crate into a truck or suv. I have seen some ebike racks with ramps. I think my sister is getting one of these for her Rad full sized ebike.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
Buying an E-Bike? Consider a Lightweight One You Can Actually Carry
More e-bikes with svelte frames and lighter components are coming onto the scene

https://www.wsj.com/articles/buying...weight-one-you-can-actually-carry-11636293601

So, why get a light e-bike? Besides the fact that you can more easily lift them, they don’t look like e-bikes. You’ll have local Spandex wearers wondering, “Is it or isn’t it?” If the battery dies, you can still ride a light e-bike back home without suffering too much. And compared with another electric option, e-scooters, these bikes can go faster, for longer.

more e-bikes with svelte frames and lighter components are coming onto the scene—good news for those of us who are garage-less. Greg LeMond, who won the Tour de France three times, is behind a new company making carbon-fiber models that began shipping in March. That same month, Specialized added a new “step-through” model, for easy mounting and dismounting, to its “SL” (aka “Super Light”) line. Then, in April, Brompton released a slightly updated version of its electrified folding bike, which packs into a tiny shape, small enough to tuck underneath a desk.

They weigh far less than mainstream e-bikes. The caveat? They can’t do all the work for you. You have to put a little more muscle into each pedal stroke. But because of the subtle electric assist, you feel like you suddenly grew another lung. You’re panting less and your legs aren’t sore. You feel like you, but strong—Tour de France champion strong.

The $3,750 Turbo Vado SL 4.0 Step-Through is my favorite of the bunch, because it doesn’t compromise on speed. It provides motorized assistance up to 28 miles an hour, and its mid-drive motor, with sensors to match the power you put into the pedals, provides a smooth, natural ride. The bike also has a sporty riding position that will make cyclists feel right at home.

At 33 pounds for the smallest frame, the Vado SL is more like heavy luggage—liftable but best when rolled. A walk-assist button on the handlebar-mounted controller can help you push it up ramps. I’m hoping Specialized eventually adds the full-powered Vado model’s new

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just ride mine...easier than driving it somewhere to ride. <g>

I did take mine to vacation in my timeshare one year at San Clemente Inn, a 90 minute drive. I removed the front tire and angled the bike across the backseat of our Camry. It wasn't easy and I stained a seat with grease from the chain. I was able to clean it off later.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Safety is an issue for us if we ride in our neighborhoods. There are no bike paths and no sidewalks so we would have to ride on the road with traffic. There are also the big dogs to deal with. They like to chase trucks so I'm sure they would chase us on the ebikes.

Bill

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closer look at Juiced Bikes' new 28 MPH 'fun-sized' RipRacer electric bike
It looks like they really put some thought into this. They aren't giving them away, but it seems like a fun, smaller scale ebike.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Brett

Reaction score
Ride1UP 700 Series electric bike review: Incredible bang for your buck in fast urban e-bikes

Richard

^^
"The battery is integrated with the frame"

I like to remove the battery from my ebike for recharging and it's easier to lift without attaching the battery