• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay surge not to be found

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
This is the first year that I have monitored eBay for Marriott timeshare resales. (I mainly track Hawaii and Park City.) I was expecting to see an end-of-year surge of listings from sellers offering bargains to avoid paying the 2012 maintenance fees. I didn't seem to notice any more/less listings at year-end, and only a few bargains being offered for less-desirable views and seasons. Prices for Marriott 2BR Ocean View weeks in Hawaii seem to be holding steady - definitely not a fire sale.

Did others notice the same thing? Were my expectations set incorrectly, or was this an unusual year for eBay resale listings? Is this a sign that the Marriott resale market has bottomed-out?

One recent observation: I have noticed that Marriott Park City "mud weeks" are now sometimes going unsold even at $1 with low/no closing costs.

Another observation: I did see a dramatic increase of eBay listings and decrease in selling price for the Four Season Aviara timeshare in Carlsbad, California. That is the most luxurious timeshare I can imagine, and it can now be had for a bargain (if you are willing to pay the $2250 annual maintenance fees).

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ebay mostly has the PCC's listing

Unless you have clear and hard metrics it is only speculation. Ebay can be daunting for the everyday layperson. On Ebay I tend to see the same reseller's over and over again. Most of them are PCC's.

There are many other places to list your timeshare for sale other than the hassle of Ebay. Redweek, myresortnetwork, Professional Brokers.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
This is the first year that I have monitored eBay for Marriott timeshare resales. (I mainly track Hawaii and Park City.) I was expecting to see an end-of-year surge of listings from sellers offering bargains to avoid paying the 2012 maintenance fees. I didn't seem to notice any more/less listings at year-end, and only a few bargains being offered for less-desirable views and seasons. Prices for Marriott 2BR Ocean View weeks in Hawaii seem to be holding steady - definitely not a fire sale.

Did others notice the same thing? Were my expectations set incorrectly, or was this an unusual year for eBay resale listings? Is this a sign that the Marriott resale market has bottomed-out?

One recent observation: I have noticed that Marriott Park City "mud weeks" are now sometimes going unsold even at $1 with low/no closing costs.

Another observation: I did see a dramatic increase of eBay listings and decrease in selling price for the Four Season Aviara timeshare in Carlsbad, California. That is the most luxurious timeshare I can imagine, and it can now be had for a bargain (if you are willing to pay the $2250 annual maintenance fees).

I have always thought that theory was a bit of an overstatement but I don't follow that closely to back up my feeling with any facts. Sure there might be a few people getting rid of it at year end to avoid paying the MFs but how many really!? Like I said I have no facts just my feeling that the year end theory is not that significant.

As for Aviara I have followed it and did the sales presentation when they first started building. I got a Tiffany candy dish AND $200 to spend at Four Seasons (used for a nice meal AND a Tommy Bahama shirt). In terms of the FS prices dropping.... For one FS did not build as many timeshares as they planned and thus the ability to trade became much less than planned. On top of that I think the prices have fallen more lately since the hotel next door switched to a Hyatt. I believe the rights to the hotel are supposed to be grandfathered in but.... Anyway, my recollection is when new they were around $85k a week for a decent (but not the best) week and now they are around $5k. Yikes!!!!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have always seen a surge in past years, usually about 30-50% more. Of course that was when I was still looking at Ebay for timeshares. Perhaps with this year the market is already so flooded, that there really isn't much more saturation to happen?

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
It should be.

An EOY 1BR Mountain View unit represents the cheapest possible way to buy at Maui Ocean Club.

$1276 is indeed very cheap, but there are other similar EOY 1BR Mountain View units at Maui Ocean Club that have sold for less this year (believe it or not).

There have been 7 EOY 1BR units that have sold for less than $1500 on eBay this year.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
As for Aviara I have followed it and did the sales presentation when they first started building. I got a Tiffany candy dish AND $200 to spend at Four Seasons (used for a nice meal AND a Tommy Bahama shirt). In terms of the FS prices dropping.... For one FS did not build as many timeshares as they planned and thus the ability to trade became much less than planned. On top of that I think the prices have fallen more lately since the hotel next door switched to a Hyatt. I believe the rights to the hotel are supposed to be grandfathered in but.... Anyway, my recollection is when new they were around $85k a week for a decent (but not the best) week and now they are around $5k. Yikes!!!!
We spent a week at Aviara this past June and it was as nice as ever. We noticed no change in service or amenities related to the new hotel management.

On eBay this year, the cheapest Platinum Season (summer) week sold for $7450. The cheapest Gold Season (non-summer) week sold for just $621! Yikes indeed!!

Last edited:

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year at Xmas there were over 3,000 listings under real estate - timeshares. This year barely 1,000, even less than during the summer. This is a significant difference.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's take on HHI firesales from earlier this year

Ed Kinney, vice president of corporate affairs for Marriott Vacation Club International, said Hilton Head attracts relatively affluent buyers who are less likely than some to wind up in financial distress.

Those owners are usually satisfied with their purchases, he said, in part because many of the island's time-share properties have been built and maintained by established companies.

Marriott's eight time-share resorts account for about half of Hilton Head's approximately 2,000 time-share units. Before Marriott switched to a points-based ownership system in June, the company's weekly units sold for an average of about $29,000, Kinney said.

About 2 percent of the company's units are available for resale at a given time, and that number hasn't noticeably escalated during the recession, Kinney said.

"It's not as epidemic as some of the other companies in our industry," Kinney said. "The brand names have a much lower propensity for people to just bail out of their stuff."

He warned deal-hunters that the benefits of Marriott's rewards program transfer only if a new owner buys from the company's in-house resale program.

Love2TS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually we bought the FSA platinum for cheaper than what you quoted above.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Bought it on Ebay
I've been tracking eBay sales of Aviara this year. I must have missed that one. Congrats on getting a great price at a beautiful resort.

I keep toying with the idea of purchasing an Aviara week, but we always seem to be able to rent or trade when we want to go there.