• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay rentals

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I've seen some reasonable rental listings on eBay recently, but I'm wondering how legit they're likely to be?

Ones like https://www.ebay.com/itm/315283163238

Anything I should specifically look for? Note, this is an exemplar, not specifically something I'm looking to rent right now.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's annoying to me that people continue to rent Wyndham openly and aggressively.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
It's annoying to me that people continue to rent Wyndham openly and aggressively.
Oh, crap. I forgot about that and that it might get cancelled under you... Though I would expect more bad reviews lol.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I suspect that more of them will end up targeted by Wyndham eventually. Seems like the target letters come in waves. Renting Wyndham, as an owner or a visitor is risky business.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have rented on eBay dozens of times, but not recently. However, many of the renters you see on eBay have been doing it for years, some decades.

You can see their completed listings, feedback and how long they have been doing it.

Many of these are likely managing the points of various owners. I rented from the same sellers a few times but every reservation confirmation was from a different owner.

I'm sure this isn't as lucrative as it used to be with the cancel-and-rebook method, but there are still plenty of people out there with points who need money to offset fees.

I figure that by now these "experts" have figured out how to manage the Wyndham rental rules.

Meanwhile, the "risky business" element helps the Wyndham sales staff and Extra Holidays.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen some reasonable rental listings on eBay recently, but I'm wondering how legit they're likely to be?

Anything I should specifically look for?

I would not take a chance on a new ebay seller with such limited feedback. The ebay seller may be long gone when the sucker shows up for the "vacation" in September.

Even if it is legit, it is clearly an "amateur hour" rental. Why take a chance?

Last edited:

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I would not take a chance on a new ebay seller with such limited feedback. The ebay seller may be long gone when the sucker shows up for the "vacation" in September.

How do you know it's "amateur hour"? I guess to me it looked as legit as postings on TUG / the last minute forum... I had one good experience with the TUG last minute wanted forum, but obviously it seems like many more people are on ebay (and redweek is just very expensive for what I'm generally looking for).

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Would I spend $5K on a rental in a foreign country with a low feedback seller? No, but I have rented a few times from low-feedback people and had success.

Before I did it I asked some questions about the rental to get a better feel for the seller. Engaging with them could uncover some red flags, like they never respond or they clearly don't understand what they are doing. Most people who rent a timeshare would know about what they are selling.

Generally, new sellers with little feedback are going to have to pay a price by offering cheaper rentals. So there is a financial incentive for people who buy those rentals.

In the end, you have to be comfortable about renting a unit and any "risk" involved in going the third-party, gray market route vs. calling the resort and making a reservation.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Anything I should specifically look for? Note, this is an exemplar, not specifically something I'm looking to rent right now.
The thing with this specific listing is that it's hard to see how seller will make any money on the rental. September is Value Season at Palm-Aire and the cheapest 2BR unit goes for 115,000. Seller is getting $5/1,000 on this rental (minus expenses) unless he expects to book at a discount and/or get an upgrade. Not many owners can make money renting for $5/1,000 points.

I don't like the lack of detail in his listing. You have to dig to find when this rental is. Turns out it can start as early as September 1 and can end as late as September 29. He doesn't have a current reservation. Rather, he's betting that he'll be able to book whatever dates a prospective customer might want and do it at a discount and probably an upgrade.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing with this specific listing is that it's hard to see how seller will make any money on the rental. September is Value Season at Palm-Aire and the cheapest 2BR unit goes for 115,000. Seller is getting $5/1,000 on this rental (minus expenses) unless he expects to book at a discount and/or get an upgrade. Not many owners can make money renting for $5/1,000 points.

I don't like the lack of detail in his listing. You have to dig to find when this rental is. Turns out it can start as early as September 1 and can end as late as September 29. He doesn't have a current reservation. Rather, he's betting that he'll be able to book whatever dates a prospective customer might want and do it at a discount and probably an upgrade.
Making any money is better than making no money at all if the points are expiring.

The renter may need whatever money they can get. The market decides what they will rent for, not the maintenance fees.

This ebay seller is one year old and with almost no feedback. They can't charge a premium if they want move rentals. If they build up some positive feedback they can likely get some more money, but even that is going to be determined by how much competition is out there for their reservations.

You can sometimes get big bargains on ebay picking up rentals. I have many times.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Making any money is better than making no money at all if the points are expiring.

The renter may need whatever money they can get. The market decides what they will rent for, not the maintenance fees.

This ebay seller is one year old and with almost no feedback. They can't charge a premium if they want move rentals. If they build up some positive feedback they can likely get some more money, but even that is going to be determined by how much competition is out there for their reservations.

You can sometimes get big bargains on ebay picking up rentals. I have many times.
Do you feel like if the person can show a confirmation it's solid? I'd hate to show up and not have something when I thought I did. Would eBay back you if the person didn't get you a confirmation with your name on it?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you feel like if the person can show a confirmation it's solid? I'd hate to show up and not have something when I thought I did. Would eBay back you if the person didn't get you a confirmation with your name on it?
I'd suggest asking the seller what will happen after you buy. Ask them to explain the process. If you have further questions, you can follow up. You have a big advantage over many renters because you know about the process already.

Here is the ebay money-back guarantee page. I see nothing eliminating hotel reservations.

In the end, you are going to have to be at least somewhat confident about your purchase.

Almost 20 years ago, I vividly remember buying my first timeshare rental on ebay. $400 for four nights at Old Key West at Disney. Was I nervous? Absolutely! It was quite the feeling of relief when they said "Welcome Home." when we arrived.

Then it felt like we were cheating somehow for getting such a deal. Taxes were even included.

Anyway, If it all went sideways, there were plenty of places in Orlando to stay and we only lived 3 hours away, but it was foreign territory. We went on to rent dozens of various timeshares before finally buying.

Renting timeshares from various places can save you a ton of money, but it isn't for everyone. Many people have looked at me like I am insane when I said I booked vacation rentals on ebay, Redweek, etc.

Good luck!

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I'd suggest asking the seller what will happen after you buy. Ask them to explain the process. If you have further questions, you can follow up. You have a big advantage over many renters because you know about the process already.

Here is the ebay money-back guarantee page. I see nothing eliminating hotel reservations.

In the end, you are going to have to be at least somewhat confident about your purchase.

Almost 20 years ago, I vividly remember buying my first timeshare rental on ebay. $400 for four nights at Old Key West at Disney. Was I nervous? Absolutely! It was quite the feeling of relief when they said "Welcome Home." when we arrived.

Then it felt like we were cheating somehow for getting such a deal. Taxes were even included.

Anyway, If it all went sideways, there were plenty of places in Orlando to stay and we only lived 3 hours away, but it was foreign territory. We went on to rent dozens of various timeshares before finally buying.

Renting timeshares from various places can save you a ton of money, but it isn't for everyone. Many people have looked at me like I am insane when I said I booked vacation rentals on ebay, Redweek, etc.

Good luck!
Thanks! I guess if I was confident enough to buy a timeshare on eBay, I'm probably confident enough to rent when a deal I can use shows up.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see nothing eliminating hotel reservations.
1) Classified ads on ebay are not covered by the Money Back Guarantee

2) Buyer Beware - Read the ad where it is clearly states "(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)'

brbr2424

Reaction score

I rented two units at Wyndham Las Vegas in April from J and M Condo Rentals on eBay, and it went well. I confirmed the reservation with the hotel when I received it from the seller, understanding that I was an owner's guest.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
To me, a seller with only 3 feed backs might be part of the reason for the low price.

Bill