• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ebay---I'm 'watching'30+ timeshares selling within 3 days

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the asking price of timeshares dropping----I'm just 'kind of looking' at the price that some of these sell for.

I suspect that in November, and even moreso in December, that selling prices may be even lower.
So, I'll be armed with some history of past recent selling prices.

Over the next 3 days----I am 'watching' about 30 offerings.

Are any of you doing the same thing?

Pat

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Took A No-eBay Pledge.

Are any of you doing the same thing?
Not me.

I am observing a self-imposed eBay moratorium.

Maybe next year.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

RahRah

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 8 weeks I'm watching right now; had ten but two ended and the prices were a bit more than I want to pay out-of-pocket right now (one was just higher than desired with 2009 fees to still be paid in January, the other was higher than I'd hoped but include '09 fees). At this point I am looking to buy - still doing a bit more research before buying one more (so we have two weeks)....need to decide if I want a weeks week or a points week and if I want a points week, which points program is best. Right now I'm leaning toward RCI Points since it seems very flexible.....but someone else mentioned the Wyndham Points and that too seems attractive for my needs - more research needed though before I spend anymore money!

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course I'm watching eBay!...I just got a 2br/2ba Gold Crown resort in Orlando for $1.50...yes, one dollar and 50 cents!

Seller paid closing costs and resort transfer fees...so my only out of pocket was the $1.50 and I'll have to pay the 2009 MF when they bill me for them.

Not bad huh? Are you finding similar results? Good luck with your watched items!

RahRah

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer:

Way to go!

Of course I'm watching eBay!...I just got a 2br/2ba Gold Crown resort in Orlando for $1.50...yes, one dollar and 50 cents!

Seller paid closing costs and resort transfer fees...so my only out of pocket was the $1.50 and I'll have to pay the 2009 MF when they bill me for them.

Not bad huh? Are you finding similar results? Good luck with your watched items!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Wow !

I just got a 2br/2ba Gold Crown resort in Orlando for $1.50...yes, one dollar and 50 cents!
Good going!

Just out of idle curiosity, which Orlando timeshare is it ?

Full Disclosure: We own an eBay floating 3BR lock-off at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas & a non-eBay resale EEY floating 3BR lock-off at Cypress Pointe Resort At Lake Buena Vista. Both are outstanding -- side-by-side timeshares about 1 mile from the Disney entrance nearest Downtown Disney onto Hotel Plaza Boulevard. Both cost more than a buck-fifty -- lots more. The least we've ever paid for a timeshare -- eBay, 1BR, points, non-Orlando -- is $152.50.

Last edited:

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good going!

Just out of idle curiosity, which Orlando timeshare is it ?

Full Disclosure: We own an eBay floating 3BR lock-off at Cypress Pointe Grandevillas & a non-eBay EEY floating 3BR lock-off at Cypress Pointe Resort At Lake Buena Vista. Both are outstanding -- side-by-side timeshares about 1 mile from the Disney entrance nearest Downtown Disney onto Hotel Plaza Boulevard. Both cost more than a buck-fifty -- lots more. The least we've ever paid for a timeshare -- eBay, 1BR, points, non-Orlando -- is $152.50.

It is at the Summer Bay Resort. Looks nice and is indeed an RCI Gold Crown Resort.

Another good deal I got was at Silver Lake in Orlando (Silver Crown), 3br/3ba LockOff. Should have some decent trading power should I opt to exchange it.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am watching like 10 for now. Don't see any significant drop in price because of the poor economy. Pattern is like usual year end sales. Nothing surprising.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I Have to stay away from ebay for now...I already have more weeks then I can use.....yet I keep going to ebay...it is an addiction....LOL

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
How safe on Ebay

I admit I am a newbie to purchasing timeshares!! Just wondering how safe is it to buy a timeshare on Ebay? The suspicious inner me says that $1.50 for a timeshare is too good to be true and if it's too good to be true it probably isn't (maybe the owner probably can't provide clear title or there is some other type of catch). Can any of the posters here elaborate a bit more on this?:confused:

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I admit I am a newbie to purchasing timeshares!! Just wondering how safe is it to buy a timeshare on Ebay? The suspicious inner me says that $1.50 for a timeshare is too good to be true and if it's too good to be true it probably isn't (maybe the owner probably can't provide clear title or there is some other type of catch). Can any of the posters here elaborate a bit more on this?:confused:

I completely understand your skepticism and suspicions. I'm the same way. I did do a lot of reading here on these boards and also looked at seller's feedback on ebay. The ad also stated that all fees were current, no liens, and clear and marketable title were guaranteed. I figured at those low prices, I wasn't taking a huge chance. I already have the Cabo timeshare in my name with a week that I myself reserved with the resort.

The first Orlando one I bought is well on its way and didn;t take but 2 weeks to close and send to the rsort for ownership transfer.

The Orlando TS I bought a few days ago was the one for $1.50 and included all closing costs and resort transfer fees. I bought all 3 from same seller and expect/hope all goes equally without a hitch. If for some reason it doesn't, than I've lost $1.50 only.

PAMMEX- My fear is that I'll end up buying and eventually owning as many as you have! I think TUG has created a monster! :p

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's often a matter of knowing what you are buying. There are certain resorts or resort systems I understand well. If I see a listing for those items I know what to look for and what questions to ask. With other properties I wouldn't know where to begin.

I've used that knowledge in the past to identify deals that I knew were great deals. Along the way I passed up some equally fantastic deals simply because I didn't know enough at the time to recognize those were fantastic deals. They looked great, but so did fifty others I considered about the same time, most of which were probably not equally good deals. But I didn't know enough to be able to sort through them.

So my advice to you would be to not worry about missing something that might be a great deal. First invest the time to identify the ownerships that would make the most sense for you. Then get familiar with those properties or ownership types so you know what to look for and what the pricing is like. Then hone in on those properties and start looking for your deals.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely understand your skepticism and suspicions. I'm the same way. I did do a lot of reading here on these boards and also looked at seller's feedback on ebay. The ad also stated that all fees were current, no liens, and clear and marketable title were guaranteed. I figured at those low prices, I wasn't taking a huge chance. I already have the Cabo timeshare in my name with a week that I myself reserved with the resort.

The first Orlando one I bought is well on its way and didn;t take but 2 weeks to close and send to the rsort for ownership transfer.

The Orlando TS I bought a few days ago was the one for $1.50 and included all closing costs and resort transfer fees. I bought all 3 from same seller and expect/hope all goes equally without a hitch. If for some reason it doesn't, than I've lost $1.50 only.

PAMMEX- My fear is that I'll end up buying and eventually owning as many as you have! I think TUG has created a monster! :p

:p They have there good and bad points.....lots of awesome vacations and lots of Maintenance fees LOL. I definately am an addict and need help :shrug: and a timeshare TUG monster too...and better yet.....my 18 year old just bought his first timeshare on ebay, at a resort we own at....wanted his own.....another timeshare monster....oh my!!! Good luck on your buying.....make sure to do your due diligence!!! Happy Vacations!!!:cheer:

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please folks, be very careful. Timeshare newbies need to take the time to read and read and read and read the hundreds, maybe thousands, of discussions that have taken place on these forums/bbs before buying a timeshare week or Points package. It's so easy to get in but almost impossible to get out (re-sell) if you buy the wrong thing. And anytime the closing costs are being covered by the seller that's a huge red flag warning!!!

I believe that most TUGgers would recommend that you NOT buy a timeshare in Orlando unless it's at a resort that you would like to use yourself year after year. And even then, there is such a glut of timeshares in that area that you will almost always be able to rent a week directly from an owner for less than the maintenance fees they pay each year.

Better still, Orlando weeks show up all the time as rentals in RCI "Last Call" inventory (from 7 to 60 or is it 90? days prior to the check-in date). I.I. has similar deals available as "Getaway weeks." You can rent these weeks for a few hundred dollars. I have often times booked Marriott weeks in January and February for $300. or less--including 3 bedroom units at the Marriott Grand Vista.

By renting as you need the weeks, you avoid the on-going burden of paying mainteance fees for years and years.

If you think they will be great traders, think again. Because of the glut of deposits, the trading power is generally low, except if you own a premium name brand week such as a Marriott, Disney Vacation Club, Starwood, Hilton Grand, etc...But then those premium weeks will never be on Ebay for $1.00. I've been watching Ebay for years and they fetch thousands of dollars.

Aside from the poor trading value of an Orlando week, there is another reason not purchase one for exchange purposes. RCI will not allow you to use the week to exchange into any other Orlando resort except the one you own at.

There are a lot more things to take into consideration before buying a timeshare, no matter how cheap it seems. Please use the "search" feature near the top of the Forums homepage to do lots of homework. (I think you may need to be a paid TUG member to acces it. But it will be the best $15. investment you ever made).

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure lots will :D ) but one way to avoid the reselling blues is to buy a RTU that expires before you expect to. ;)

Cheers

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I repeatedly see that people advise against owning in Orlando. My first TS was in Orlando and it got me every locale I requested for exchange. I never used it for my own vacation. I had a floating week and I always requested Easter week - any spring break week will do. They actually are in high demand. I am in the final stages of selling it - because I now own an eyo that suits my needs better.

But if I see something I can't live without on eBay, I may snatch it up.

Sue

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure lots will :D ) but one way to avoid the reselling blues is to buy a RTU that expires before you expect to. ;)

Cheers

But you may then get the special assessment blues in the last few years of your RTU.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that most TUGgers would recommend that you NOT buy a timeshare in Orlando unless it's at a resort that you would like to use yourself year after year. And even then, there is such a glut of timeshares in that area that you will almost always be able to rent a week directly from an owner for less than the maintenance fees they pay each year.
Alomost always is a stretch. You might be able to rent for less than you would pay for maintenance as some resorts, but not all. And you won't be able to rent for less than maintenance at the best resorts, or for the most popular weeks.
Better still, Orlando weeks show up all the time as rentals in RCI "Last Call" inventory (from 7 to 60 or is it 90? days prior to the check-in date). I.I. has similar deals available as "Getaway weeks." You can rent these weeks for a few hundred dollars. I have often times booked Marriott weeks in January and February for $300. or less--including 3 bedroom units at the Marriott Grand Vista.
Again, a real stretch. While you can rent for January and February for $300, those are also the weeks that have the lowest demand. You might find last call weeks for that kind of price, but that's 45 days before check-in. If you want to plan farther ahead, you will find the nicer resorts during prime times are $800 and up - $200 more than I pay in maintance fees for my Orlando timeshare. And if you're looking for the weeks around Easter, be prepared to look daily in the wee hours, because if they show up, they won't last long. RCI simply doesn't have that inventory.
By renting as you need the weeks, you avoid the on-going burden of paying mainteance fees for years and years.

If you think they will be great traders, think again. Because of the glut of deposits, the trading power is generally low, except if you own a premium name brand week such as a Marriott, Disney Vacation Club, Starwood, Hilton Grand, etc...But then those premium weeks will never be on Ebay for $1.00. I've been watching Ebay for years and they fetch thousands of dollars.
There are plenty of other very nice Orlando resorts that sell anywhere for $1 to thousands depending on who is bidding. Remember that Marriott, Disney, and some others have first right of refusal, which artificially inflates the resale prices. Resort without it can be purchased for far less - and the listing price doesn't mean anything.
Aside from the poor trading value of an Orlando week, there is another reason not purchase one for exchange purposes. RCI will not allow you to use the week to exchange into any other Orlando resort except the one you own at.
Not at all true. A handful of Orlando resorts restrict trades in, but most of them don't. I just checked with my Orange Lake week, and in January 2009 it pulls up 30 resorts, including several of the nicer ones.
There are a lot more things to take into consideration before buying a timeshare, no matter how cheap it seems. Please use the "search" feature near the top of the Forums homepage to do lots of homework. (I think you may need to be a paid TUG member to acces it. But it will be the best $15. investment you ever made).
Agreed it is not something to just jump into, but with a purchase price of a few dollars for decent resorts, it's not such a big problem. I wouldn't forsee a real problem renting a good week in Orlando for more than the maintenance fees. Sure, if you panic and try to rent it on eBay with a low starting bid you won't get more than maintenance fees, but if you advertise localling, and are willing wait past a few lowball offers, you will get it. Homework is great, but you also can't be scared of something that sounds like a good deal - not something that sounds too good to be true, but a reasonable bargain. Sure, there are better deals to be had, but is it really worth the effort to dig for them? I suspect not for the majority of people interested in getting into timesharing.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ebay bargains

Gee, I have over 120 in my ebay watch list. In terms of ebay bargains, they are definately out there. I would assess the situation as comparing all ebay timeshares with a total price - including closing - under $500 as essentially the same. After all if you end up paying 99 dollars or 1 dollar makes no real difference. What makes a difference is if you really like the resort and can use it for your own portfolio. For example, I like Southern California in September and early October and there are bargains out there to be had. However, week 2 or week 3? Not my cup of tea. As to Orlando I have a summer week at a real old resort that I would not want to stay at. If you do bite on an Orlando week get one in July or the first two weeks of August. My summer Orlando week at a no star timeshare does well in II flexchange in off season it has always gotten me Marriotts. Right now it will get me a two bedroom at Lawrence Welk in early December. Way off season but a great resort. Again, the ebay bargains are best for folks who can travel in the off season. Another thing - I like one bedrooms better than two bedrooms because that extra 150 to 200 in maintenance fees will really add up especially if you want to use your unit as a trader. Look at the maintenance fees really hard. After all, a maintenance fee and tax bill of 600 means a unit for 739 to 749 a week as a trader when you add in trading fees. Higher fees will really start to take a bit out of your wallet! Good luck and happy hunting.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost always is a stretch. You might be able to rent for less than you would pay for maintenance as some resorts, but not all. And you won't be able to rent for less than maintenance at the best resorts, or for the most popular weeks.

One of the people who posted a message in this thread won an auction for a timeshare at an un named Orlando resort for a dollar. The fact that the seller was willing to pay ALL of the closing costs is a clear indication that this is not a prime week and/or resort. If he likes the resort and plans to use it himself almost every year, he got a great deal. I own a couple of weeks at a resort that has poor reviews but we love it and vacation there every summer. "To each his own." (We also own at high end top rated resorts).

Many of the February Orlando weeks I've obtained as RCI "Last Call" or I.I. Getaways have been for President's week which is not an "off season" low demand week.

I own many timeshares--including fixed deeded weeks, floating, RCI Points and Fairfield Points. I do my own on-line searches on the RCI and I.I. websites on an almost daily basis. Many times I'll find a week at a very nice resort using one of my "tiger traders." Before confirming it, I see if any of my lower quality weeks will pull it. Usually they won't. My final step is to look at the Last Call or Escapes inventory. I'm amazed to see how many times that prime week I want is available there, for just a few dollars above what the exchange fee would have been if I used my tiger trader to confirm it. This is particularly prevalent with Orlando weeks.

I have an elderly aunt and uncle who like to get out of the frigid north and spend 4 weeks in Florida in February. They are on a tight budget. I tell them to go ahead and purchase airline tickets months in advance when they see a good sale. Every year since 1999 I have been able to get them 4 weeks in Orlando through Last Calls or Escapes for under $400.. The southeast and southwest parts of Florida are rarely available. That's why we bought the weeks we use there (resale and Ebay, of course).

I think it's very important to warn newbies about the pitfalls of relying upon mediocre weeks to obtain decent exchanges. It takes years to figure out how to do it and even then, it's not always succesful. The great trades that used to be available in the 1990's when Crystal DeHawn and her husband owned RCI are long gone. Since Cendant bought them out, too many space-banked weeks have slipped out the back door to be rented to the general, non-timeshare owning public. But that's a whole other topic.

Through lack of knowledge, I bought some "wrong" weeks in the beginning, expecting more than they could ever deliver. Many people who attend sales presentations are grossly misled by the the hype and over-promising that has been the main selling point for developers. I'm glad to see more and more people finding their way to TUG BEFORE buying a timeshare, or in time to rescind if they recently bought from the developer. I was helped so much by TUG members through the years and am glad to "give back" to new people who arrive here.

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

I think regional restrictions are only an II thing. They do restrict Orlando. With my Mystic Dunes, I get only one page of offerings for my Spring break I'm still wavering on. With my modest Gatlinburg week, I get three pages of availability.

I've never seen anything similar in RCI.

Sheila

ownsherown

TUG Member
Reaction score
I Have to stay away from ebay for now...I already have more weeks then I can use.....yet I keep going to ebay...it is an addiction....LOL

Me too, 8 weeks was too little when I worked from home but now that I have a real job again, I only get 7 weeks off with pay the first year.
Yet I still keep checking *just in case*:hysterical:

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
A good price doesn't mean a bad timeshare

'Situations of ownership' often cause timeshares prices to be nearly zero. It can be a perfectly good timeshare but the owner has no real use for it anymore. It's better to give it away (or nearly) than to keep it and pay m/fs on something that they won't use. I bet there are a good number of TUG members that could say this about one or more of their timeshares. Or they've already 'unloaded' them earlier.

I've got a few in my pocket right now that are perfectly fine - for someone else - but doesn't fit what I want. Most people's lives change from year to year and what worked well for them before doesn't fit anymore. My parents own a 2/2 timeshare on the beach which is 1000 miles away from home. They're 85 years old and don't travel anymore. There's one example of lives changing.

Would I like what they go for retail? Well - SURE! But that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I got most of mine 'cheap' so am willing to part with them cheap (or less - grin). But I did trade one about 5 years ago that I had bought retail (about $10K) for another timeshare that I wanted instead. We valued each of them at $2500. I'm happy. The guy I traded with was happy (he resold for $6500 about a month later). Do I begrudge him the profit? Nope. He had the resources to find a buyer (he bought and sold timeshares as a business after retiring). I didn't. I got what I wanted out of the deal.

There are many owners out there who have PAID 'postcard companies' to take their timeshares off their hands. I could be that the postcard company is now selling it for $1.50. They've made their money already (from the previous seller) so they don't care what it sells for.

Best thing to do is read the reviews of the seller. You'll figure out if you want to deal with them or not.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

Look at the maintenance fees really hard. After all, a maintenance fee and tax bill of 600 means a unit for 739 to 749 a week as a trader when you add in trading fees. Higher fees will really start to take a bit out of your wallet!
Our dinky eBay points timeshare (15,000 points annually) was an eBay el cheapo when we bought it in 2005 -- $152.50 + RCI Points fees + closing costs + 1st year's maintenance fees.

Annual maintenance fees -- $300 -- were semi-steep, we thought, for such a dinky (1BR) standard grade timeshare unit way out in the countryside of the USA heartland. Plus, the fees have risen every year since & are up to $475 for 2009. Not only that, there was a special assessment of $75 or so in 2008. Sheesh.

For sure we're paying lots of money for minimal points. The longer this trend continues, the more attractive it makes those renewable 3-year RTU points-timeshare leases that we'd have gone with instead of buying our dinky points timeshare if we'd known about'm at the time.

Live & learn, eh ?