• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay Auctions of Wyndham

shmuggee

Reaction score
Just browsing some potential deals on eBay (with the noted current drama going on with fee increases) and I've noticed this on a couple of the TS offered:

In Tennesee, points are awarded from Oct 1, to Sept 30. (Smoky Mountains, I think)

2008 points have already been used

New owners (winning bid) are to take over Jan 1, 2009 (at closing)

You pay MF until Oct 1, when 2009 points are available.

Is it me, or are you paying for the previous owners use of 2008 points?

Someone pointed this out, and the seller (who shall remain nameless) replied:

"Well - you can always go pay full whack from the developer, instead of buying it here"

Anyone else notice this? I guess you gotta read the fine print...

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a UDI you are correct.

A lot of the PCCs do things like this. Sometimes it it in your favor. Other times (as with this one) it is not. When I was in the market, I had a formula for valuing each deed at a particular maximum acquisition cost that I would pay to get it. From that I subtracted closing costs to generate a snipe bid amount. When a seller included "extra" MFs like this, I just subtracted those as well. But, if it was in my favor, I would add the value in.

Often, someone isn't reading carefully and would over-bid. Not my problem. But, don't sweat it. If you don't win this one, another will come along.

SFAirborne2001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Value assessment is a must

When I was buying, I too did an assessment of what the final price would be, and it frustrated me when I saw ads which requested the previous year MF be reimbursed. If you find one that interests you, it is imperative to start asking questions early.
I use the following example: Though I didn't buy this timeshare, I saw that there was a really low starting bid, and that the seller was requesting MF for the previous year. Upon contacting her, she explained that she paid the NEXT years maintenance fees in advance; i.e. she deposited a certain amount from Jan thru Dec of 2008, and then on Jan 1 of 2009 the maintenance fees of 2009 were completely paid.
Though the initial price to get in would have been higher with the MF, closing, transfer fee, etc., once you won the bid, you would have the next years MF already paid for.
Also, be aware that the time required for closing can push you past the current year's points - if you buy now and expect to use 2008 points before they expire on 31 Dec, you might be dissapointed.