• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ebay auction for Monarch wk 47 just ended at $330!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

So how would ROFR work in a case like this - Marriott gets to buy this for $330? Will they?

Not the most popular week on the calendar, but gee - I once traded in that very week, and it was sunny and in the 70's every single day. I loved it there!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I just read something that said there was no ROFR. I think it was in the body of an ad for Monarch on Tug or Ebay.

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent a week 47 getaway from II (gold membership) for $394 as I type this. The maintenance fees and taxes in 2008 for owners are $938.93. Why own (even with marriott's trading preference, although I don't think this would be a real strong trader and maybe becoming a multiweek owner)?

Last edited:

CLIFFTOPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i agree with not owning a week 47.
we are at monarch now.
we find the only weeks you would need to own are june to mid august as otherwise you can exchange or buy getaway to this property.
only other reason is to get a week that offers an a/c and i am not sure what time period is with monarch.
it is may-aug at harbour pt that i own to do my monarch exchanges.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but I believe that the Monarch may be the most underrated timeshare in the whole Marriott system. Fabulous location on the beach, ok facilities. Really nice and easy to trade into.

CLIFFTOPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
totally agree.
it does not have the status of the grande ocean , barony, surf watch but that is ok as it has its followers and they are aware of the value in this property.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I just came back from Monarch last month. It was our first trade there. Own at HP. Really loved the location/beach and the units were nicely done. The staff was super. I would go there again but I think GO and Barony are better suited for more than 4 adults.

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not denying that the Monarch is in a great location and if it weren't for those pesky fees, I would own. I'm just pointing out that the math doesn't work to own a week 47.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I have been told, Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines on Hilton Head was Marriott's very first venture which started MVCI.

The Monarch was built approximately 1980, and bought by Marriott in 1981.

It is my understanding that the Monarch belongs to both I.I. and R.C.I.

Everyone has to pay $5 in order to enter into the Sea Pines area in order to drive thru to check in at the Monarch.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but I believe that the Monarch may be the most underrated timeshare in the whole Marriott system. Fabulous location on the beach, ok facilities. Really nice and easy to trade into.

I agree. When I was a Marriott owner, Monarch was always my favorite. It was also the last one I sold. I think I recall, no ROFR; both RCI and II; also can exchange every year for points.

George