• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Eastern US Best Timeshare for Trading/Staying

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Try PnP. Don’t be put off because of low mf. Compared to our recent Smuggs Sycamores 53, no comparison.
imho, low annual fees trader is not necessarily where I'd want to stay. And nicer digs will have higher annual fees. It's a trade off. Smuggs would be a great resort for your family to visit. We loved it and would go EOY if it were closer.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
no offense meant to PnP--just in general, low annual fees can also mean low reserves, longer refurbishment schedules, etc. I agree that some of Smuggs are quite outdated--but we still love that resort (our unit had my grandma's green/mauve decor) for all the amenities and location.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Peek n' Peak was about at nice as any I've been to. They had the most fully equipped kitchen I've ever seen and even games and puzzles in the units. I believe there was a newspaper delivered as well. My conclusion is that the timeshare maintenance is being subsidized by the resort (thru cost application), resulting in a much lower fee than a stand alone timeshare could have. At this particular time any 2br., timeshare that has a maintenance fee under $ 500 should be considered low cost.

VacationGuy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Jeff, You have to do research and it will take time. First you need to decide where you want your home resort and it should be no further than a four hour drive. As you get older you will realize why I recommend this. I recommend buying a fixed week so you can have that particular week each year. Do some reviews on TUG to get opinions on resorts that seem interesting to you. Select about three and go visit them on check-out days around noon. That way you can get to see a unit and view the property.

OLDWESTBUFF

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, You have to do research and it will take time. First you need to decide where you want your home resort and it should be no further than a four hour drive. As you get older you will realize why I recommend this. I recommend buying a fixed week so you can have that particular week each year. Do some reviews on TUG to get opinions on resorts that seem interesting to you. Select about three and go visit them on check-out days around noon. That way you can get to see a unit and view the property.
appreciate the info. The more I learn the more I realize the value of the above info. Not jumping into anything and def. still looking, going to rent for awhile and look THANKS!

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria is a good one to have. Almost impossible to get into if you don't own there. It is right next to the Metro station that will get you into Washington D.C.. Free parking, which is almost unheard of in the DC area. Walking distance to a Whole Foods and there are a number of restaurants nearby including the Hilton which is next door. There is a free shuttle that goes up and down King Street that will give you access to more restaurants, bars and shops. It runs all the way out to the Potomac docks where you can catch a water taxi over to the Maryland side.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria is a good one to have. Almost impossible to get into if you don't own there. It is right next to the Metro station that will get you into Washington D.C.. Free parking, which is almost unheard of in the DC area. Walking distance to a Whole Foods and there are a number of restaurants nearby including the Hilton which is next door. There is a free shuttle that goes up and down King Street that will give you access to more restaurants, bars and shops. It runs all the way out to the Potomac docks where you can catch a water taxi over to the Maryland side.

DC Metro rail won't get you to the District starting September 10 until about May 2023. There are scheduled closures for major construction on the Blue and Yellow Lines. The first closure is from September 10 to October 22 -- every station south of National Airport will be closed for renovations and construction of a new station at Potomac Yard. The second closure is on the Yellow Line beginning September 10 and ending in May 2023 for tunnel and bridge repairs between the Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza. Completion dates are probably notional.

Shuttle service will be available but it the shuttle schedule is way too complicated to post here.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC Metro rail won't get you to the District starting September 10 until about May 2023. There are scheduled closures for major construction on the Blue and Yellow Lines. The first closure is from September 10 to October 22 -- every station south of National Airport will be closed for renovations and construction of a new station at Potomac Yard. The second closure is on the Yellow Line beginning September 10 and ending in May 2023 for tunnel and bridge repairs between the Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza. Completion dates are probably notional.

Shuttle service will be available but it the shuttle schedule is way too complicated to post here.
Yup, I know. I will stop staying at Old Town at the end of August partially for this reason. I will be staying at a Marriott in Springfield several times. I believe the Metro from there into L'Enfant will still be running in the Fall. If not, I can drive. There is parking at my office, while not free, it is only $5 a day.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Yup, I know. I will stop staying at Old Town at the end of August partially for this reason. I will be staying at a Marriott in Springfield several times. I believe the Metro from there into L'Enfant will still be running in the Fall. If not, I can drive. There is parking at my office, while not free, it is only $5 a day.

Take a Metro bus from Springfield to the Pentagon, then the Blue Line to L'Enfant Plaza via Rosslyn.

Metro rail (Blue Line) from the Springfield-Franconia station can't get through the construction south of National Airport.

We'll be at Wyndham OTA the last full week in August. It's 11.2 miles from home.

Last edited:

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a Metro bus from Springfield to the Pentagon, then the Blue Line to L'Enfant Plaza via Rosslyn.

Metro rail (Blue Line) from the Springfield-Franconia station can't get through the construction south of National Airport.

We'll be at Wyndham OTA the last full week in August. It's 11.2 miles from home.
I will be there that same week.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We love Foxrun at Lake Lure, NC. Maintenance fees are ~$800. Two bedroom townhouses, amenities of Rumbling Bald Resort. Ashville, Chimney Rock, and Black Mountain are nearby.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 1997 I bought July 4th week in Myrtle Beach, SC. A 3 bedroom lockout. It had very high trading power and initially traded as two weeks. Then with RCI’s system, more credits than we could ever use every year. We still get about 4 trips or more a year from it.