• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC thoughts - Riviera, BLT, elsewhere, nowhere???

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
They've offered additional incentives. DVC has always taken a long term approach in such matters all the way back to VB which sold poorly with SSR which took forever to sell as well. Plus they'll need inventory to sell over the next few years, not everyone wants Riviera.

Understandable about Riviera. Putting those resale restrictions makes me want to own Riviera even less. It's easy to bypass those restrictions anyways if you use the forums. You can simply rent your restricted points out and rent Riviera points, so the restrictions are just a stupid move on their part.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Understandable about Riviera. Putting those resale restrictions makes me want to own Riviera even less. It's easy to bypass those restrictions anyways if you use the forums. You can simply rent your restricted points out and rent Riviera points, so the restrictions are just a stupid move on their part.
Maybe though I tend to think they know more than we do in this area and I'm not sure easy is the word I would use but it is workable if that's the situation one finds themselves in. The reality is that many people don't know about the alternatives going in and even for those that do, many will buy anyway. I also think most on the BBS are far overestimating the impact of the restrictions both on the sales side and on the resale side but time will tell. Even most that know they can rent both directions won't. How many times have I seen people post they've bought retail when they knew about the alternative and savings. Even before any restrictions it wasn't uncommon to see someone say they bought retail because they trusted Disney and/or were uncertain of the resale process.

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
The sales plan pre-Covid was obvious from all the kiosks everywhere (I passed three between my room and the bar at Poly pre-Covid). DVC is trying to be like all the other timeshares and sell emotionally at the parks. It doesn't care if your purchase holds value. It doesn't care if you get hosed when life happens and you have to sell. They already cashed the check. That's kind of the point, like everyone else. But it will take a looooong time to get there.

This will make a new class of DVC that is locked down resale. Even that will still have some value, because it is still a Disney resort, just more limited in booking.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales plan pre-Covid was obvious from all the kiosks everywhere (I passed three between my room and the bar at Poly pre-Covid). DVC is trying to be like all the other timeshares and sell emotionally at the parks. It doesn't care if your purchase holds value. It doesn't care if you get hosed when life happens and you have to sell. They already cashed the check. That's kind of the point, like everyone else. But it will take a looooong time to get there.

This will make a new class of DVC that is locked down resale. Even that will still have some value, because it is still a Disney resort, just more limited in booking.
But isn't that as it should be. IMO looking at this from a business standpoint they should have done a LOT more a lot earlier to separate retail and resale. Probably a true VIP system.

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
But isn't that as it should be. IMO looking at this from a business standpoint they should have done a LOT more a lot earlier to separate retail and resale. Probably a true VIP system.

Maybe. I guess there are plenty of other timeshares with this model, and they seem to sell enough. So someone is making money, and too bad if customers lose all that money when they change their mind. Shareholders win. I guess it might make more cash long term, when combined with some more aggressive salesmen. It just isn't a system I'm interested in. I bought into DVC because it has resale value and could always be sold if I wanted to.

It's hard for me to square the sad stories of people losing their shirts here on TUG with the Disney brand. I'm sure DVC has scammy salesman, and boy do they have an emotional connection to sell you, I just thought the product wasn't scammy. But that was the (very recent) old version of DVC, which was a different product in a different, pre-2020 time.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I guess there are plenty of other timeshares with this model, and they seem to sell enough. So someone is making money, and too bad if customers lose all that money when they change their mind. Shareholders win. I guess it might make more cash long term, when combined with some more aggressive salesmen. It just isn't a system I'm interested in. I bought into DVC because it has resale value and could always be sold if I wanted to.

It's hard for me to square the sad stories of people losing their shirts here on TUG with the Disney brand. I'm sure DVC has scammy salesman, and boy do they have an emotional connection to sell you, I just thought the product wasn't scammy. But that was the (very recent) old version of DVC, which was a different product in a different, pre-2020 time.
Certainly it's changed over the years as was inevitable. When I bought originally it was just called "The Disney Vacation Club" which is now OKW. Colored cloth napkins, colored embroidered towels, nothing glued down, a separate member check in desk, etc. But even then it was just a timeshare, no more and no less. While I'm not sure about people losing their shirt's with DVC; any timeshare purchase, including DVC, should be throw away money financially. If anything, DVC has done better and held it's value better than anything else over the years even today. But let's be clear, DVD's job is to sell timeshare, no more and no less. DVCMC's job is to manage those timeshares under the rules of the POS. I personally don't buy the idea that one should expect more (or less) because it's Disney. There was never a guarantee of long term sales options or value, quite the contrary if you read the POS where this issue is actually spelled out.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
If anything, DVC has done better and held it's value better than anything else over the years even today.
I'd have no issues buying resale for usage for 5-7 years with a plan to divest. Even direct, if you've used it for 5+ years is not a terrible deal. you'll likely recoup a substantial portion of your capital outlay.