• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Resale Contracts are Selling like Soylent Green!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been watching the resales for over a year. I was looking at buying a VGC contract right before Covid really hit the U.S. and decided not to buy. Can you believe those same contracts (which are impossible to find now) are selling for about $100/ more per point right now? There was a recent small contract listed for $250/point and it sold for $350/point. Buying retail, which is no longer possible for this resort is listed at $295/point - resale technically costs more than retail. Of course, since there's no way to buy retail, that doesn't really matter.

I picked up my small Poly contract this year and the listed prices are already considerably higher today. The gap between retail and resale is shrinking more and more and the resale listings all usually say pending sale pretty much within a couple days of being listed. As I look at the resale contracts, paying a little bit more for retail and having access to all the properties is looking better. Really, I cannot believe my eyes.

Different topic, but rentals are going nuts, too. I saw a broker listed VGC studio for 2 night in December for $2220. I checked booking the hotel side directly and a standard room for the same nights is less than $1900. Even with the taxes and paying for parking, it's less money than the DVC rental. Truth be told, all VGC rooms tend to have very nice views (standard hotel rooms do not) and they have mini kitchenette which helps a little. The hotel side had better services, though, including twice daily housekeeping and turn down service. Years ago when I did a split stay between a DVC studio and a standard hotel room, I actually preferred the standard hotel room, but back then the extra taxes and parking fees made DVC a better bargain. Depending on time of year, that is no longer the case.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
time to just stay in a different resort location, hard to justify these insane prices
If you have flexibility and can be happy with the only option most of the time being a 1 bedroom at Saratoga Springs with occasional appearances from Old Key West, you can definitely get outsized value with using RCI to exchange into Disney World. While Disney can negotiate trade valuation, they have to allow people to exchange in as a result of them allowing for DVC owners to exchange out. And the exchange links give Disney another way to fill rooms that they otherwise wouldn't sell through their normal channels.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the resales have gone crazy. I just jumped on a small BLT contract this morning because it was only $175/pt vs most of the others that are $190 and up. It is even a different use year than my other contracts, but the price was too good (right now) to pass up.

ds53cns

Reaction score
We went head first into the DVC world back in May with a large VGC resale contract. Still waiting on my member number. Hopefully any day now. Based on the few resales since, I could turn around and sell it and probably not lose any money even after the selling fees.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also opted for a 50 point Riviera Direct. At $201 a point it is in line with a lot of the crazy resale prices, especially for a small contract. I don't care about the resale restrictions since I will keep it and pass it on when I go.