• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC relaxes points expiration for COVID 19

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Good. They can just throw in some extra non declared Riviera rooms into the inventory to offset being closed. When they reopen, I don't think they're going to be able to fill all the non DVC rooms anyways. I think DVC members will go because they already paid, but I don't see Orlando's economy coming back quickly after this. The last thing people are worrying about is taking a vacation.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My points expire in July. I'm hoping they will give me a similar deal.

Aztraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very pleased with their decision - especially because we have reservations in mid-May using 2019 and banked 2018 use year points. We have not yet received a reservation cancellation notice, but all are dining reservations were cancelled today. I understand the stress that this will put on reservations for the next several years. I hope they can reopen soon, and that the borrowing restrictions and new inventory (Riviera) can help everybody enjoy their ownerships.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently they have reduced the number of points that can be borrowed to offset demand. Of course that is unfortunate for someone trying to do a stay next year that they planned on using borrowed points for.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I will definitely be using my 11 month window to book vacations at WDW. Members trying to use Vero, Hilton Head, or Aulani points at WDW at 7 months may have a tougher time booking for the next year.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We also had reservations, but early May. As of this past weekend my resort reservations had not yet been automatically cancelled so I called member services...had to wait around 20 minutes, which was fine, I expected much longer. She was very helpful and explained a few things to me. I had borrowed some points and they were put back into their original use year. I asked her about the new 50% rule....did it only apply to the contract that those borrowed points were put back into or is it across the board for everyone, even those that didn’t need to adjust their contracts. She wasn’t quite sure, so I need to go back a reread that email about the 50%. I can see it for those that were given the opportunity to return their points, but doesn’t seem fair to those that did not. Although I do understand the need to limit. Very challenging times for sure.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it applies to everyone. IMO, it's the best solution they could have come up with, because it gives a better chance for everyone to get full use out of their points eventually.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
She did mention it is supposed to be temporary.....but followed that up with “but who knows anything for sure.” I had to replan all my trips out...up to December/January 2022/23. Needed to squeeze a short trip in for September/October 2021 for the 50th anniversary.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just chatted with DVC and this is what I was told about my expiring June 2019 points that were used for a May reservation that was cancelled:

That is a great question and I will be happy to answer it for you. If your Vacation Points were being used toward an impacted reservation due to our closure, they will automatically be moved to your June 2020 Use Year. Due to the number of Memberships with a June Use Year, we are hoping to have this completed by June 5, 2020.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had news on points expiring in July? I have a friend who planned to use DVC points for Grand Californian, and right now, it's not likely that Disneyland will open before those points expire.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had news on points expiring in July? I have a friend who planned to use DVC points for Grand Californian, and right now, it's not likely that Disneyland will open before those points expire.
just a few days ago, I asked DVC about my points expiring in July. (The points are booked for early June.) The person I spoke to didn't know anything yet.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Judy. Someone posted this Disney announcement on another site:

Given the current uncertainty as to when we will reopen Disneyland Resort or Walt Disney World Resort, we’ve had to periodically adjust the schedule for the ability to book hotel reservations at our resorts. While we’re currently accepting reservations starting in July 2020 at both resorts, as this situation evolves, timing may continue to shift.

This gives hope that Disneyland will open in July, so she can use her reservation there.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my reservation is for June. I doubt I can get a DVC reservation for July. But, thanks for the link!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like points banked from 2018 into my 2019 Use year will expire in November, 2020. That's not much time! My points are currently rented through David's -- I hope I van find out whether my guests when/if my guests want to go.