• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC in Orlando 1st Time!

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Hi All,

Been to Aulani and Grand Californian a few times - I am deciding between Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Bay Lake Towers, or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Currently have my reservation for Animal Kingdom Lodge - what are some pros/cons of each?

Best

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Animal Kingdom seems far from everything other than the park it's named for. Bay Lake is great for Magic Kingdom. My favorite of the bunch is Old Key West, but I would rather stay at Wilderness Lodge than any other Disney resort.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Lake Tower is our favorite Disneyworld resort and one of our 'homes'. Animal Kingdom Villas is good if you are looking for a spend most of your time at the resort and not the parks. We've never stayed at OKW but have read of many who love it best - it has comparatively huge villas and is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of the parks. As near as I can tell the only reason to stay at SSR is that you want to hang out and/or shop at Disney Springs. I would also heartily endorse the Beach Club or Boardwalk...neither of which is in your list.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if one were looking to rent at a DVC resort (for visiting the parks)...how would you make an effort to reserve a room (or is it even possible) that provided a view of the nightly fireworks from the window or balcony?

even if assuming money was no object? (or at least, not particularly looking to score a bargain deal vs paying full freight etc)

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
if one were looking to rent at a DVC resort (for visiting the parks)...how would you make an effort to reserve a room (or is it even possible) that provided a view of the nightly fireworks from the window or balcony?

even if assuming money was no object? (or at least, not particularly looking to score a bargain deal vs paying full freight etc)

Hi I dont think i follow this one. I am exchanging through II from my marriot and these 4 are the ones that seem to pop up.

Best

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge twice.

It's a really cool resort. However, I'm not sure that I'll be back:

1) It's just so far from all the other parks.
2) It's a little tired.

That being said there is nothing like waking up with the Savannah View. Our kids absolutely loved it. It's also a great resort if you are not planning on spending much time in the parks. The community hall is great (although our kids liked Boardwalk a bit better). The pool area is also great -- it's a good waterslide and our kids had a blast using it.

If you plan on spending a lot of time in the parks out of the four that you mentioned, I would go with Baylake Tower. I haven't stayed there but it is REALLY nice being able to walk to a park. Getting there early to Magic Kingdom is much more important than the other parks (IMO), so we've often thought that we'd like to stay there at some point. You'll also have pretty good transportation to Epcot via the monorail.

We are Disney'd out for the next 2 years or so (apart from potentially taking our two boys to Disneyland since they've never been).

Our family LOOOOVES Boardwalk. We spent two weeks there in June. It makes a huge difference being so close to Epcot as well as Hollywood Studios.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If one were looking to rent at a DVC resort (for visiting the parks)...how would you make an effort to reserve a room (or is it even possible) that provided a view of the nightly fireworks from the window or balcony?...
Bay Lake Tower, Theme Park View - we stayed in one earlier this year. There are also some Lake View rooms that have good fireworks views from their balconies and Standard View rooms that let you see the fireworks over your parking lot view.

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score

Besides Bay Lake, Grand Floridian and Polynesian have some MK views for fireworks. Boardwalk has some Epcot view but not guaranteed. Depends on where in the boardwalk views you get assigned.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi I dont think i follow this one. I am exchanging through II from my marriot and these 4 are the ones that seem to pop up.

Best
sorry, i meant to rent from an owner, vs to exchange.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so it seems like bay lake is the rental to look for, and im guessing from the description above that "park view" is something that would be indicated on the reservation?

is it reasonable to be able to try to find a rental say for early next year (feb/march) from a dvc owner for a 2br room like this? or am i just asking for a hail mary etc?

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been to Aulani and Grand Californian a few times - I am deciding between Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Bay Lake Towers, or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Currently have my reservation for Animal Kingdom Lodge - what are some pros/cons of each?

Best
Depends on if you are doing a studio or a one bedroom.
AKL pros: AKL/Kidani one bedrooms have two full bathrooms and a sleeper chair in the living room in addition to the pullout couch. AKL/Jambo does not. The community hall is the best (located in Kidani). Kidani also has underground parking….great when it’s super hot outside. Both pools are very nice too. Kidani does not have a quick service food option except for some items in store and pool bar. Jambo has a large quick service.
Cons: have to take a bus or Uber to all parks (or drive). Getting to Magic Kingdom takes a while. The hallways are very long, especially if you have a room at the end.
I am not sure if the studios have sleeping surfaces for 5.
Saratoga Springs pros: Rooms recently refurbished and I’ve heard they did a great job. Studios sleep five. Close to Disney Springs for shopping and dining. Has a great spa and gym. A beautiful resort. Parking is convenient to your room.
Cons: Bus to all parks..takes a lot of time from your day. Food service is in main building.

Old Key West:
Pros: spacious rooms. Lots of pools. Studios have two beds instead of pullout couch. Easy parking, close to room.
Cons: Not close to anything except a boat to Disney Springs.

Bay Lake Tower:
Pros: one bedroom has same set up as Animal kingdom lodge. Two elevator banks, so easy parking and getting to room. 10 minute walk to Magic Kingdom (Priceless). Few minute walk over to the contemporary for counter service, bar, Chef Mickeys, California Grill and monorail…easy monorail transfer to Epcot. Fireworks can be viewed from sky bridge if you can’t see them from your room.
Cons: studios are tight, but kitchenette has lots of storage space. Ice machines only located on floors 4 and 9. The pool is small but has a good slide But You can also use the two pools at the contemporary And There is also a nice little beach.

All one bedrooms have a washer/dryer.

Last edited:

nomoretslt

Reaction score
so it seems like bay lake is the rental to look for, and im guessing from the description above that "park view" is something that would be indicated on the reservation?

is it reasonable to be able to try to find a rental say for early next year (feb/march) from a dvc owner for a 2br room like this? or am i just asking for a hail mary etc?
if you mean 2023….I just did a quick search and there are only one night stays available here and there. Lots of availability end of April and into May. There are some legitimate rental companies that you can rent DVC points from (they act as middleman for owners/renters). DVCstore.com (AKA The Timeshare Store) and DVCresalemarket.com are two that are good. They deal in DVC resales and rentals. You can also contact Disney Central Reservations….you can get a room for cash through them…same rooms but expensive.

if watching the MK fireworks is what you’re looking for, staying elsewhere on property (like Wilderness Lodge) and getting dinner reservations at California Grill is a solution. They have a viewing deck for those that are dining there. If you have an early reservation, you hold on to your receipt so you can return closer to the time. But reservations there fill up fast.

I have to say that it is really nice watching from your room.
Good luck.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

It should say "Theme Park View" (as opposed to "Lake View" or "Standard View"). On dvcrentalstore (the website I have used most recently) there is one for 2 nights in February, one for 3 nights in Apr, and one for 7 nights in Apr/May. But there are other places to look for confirmed DVC reservations.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ill shoot you a pm! ty for the crash course!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Best
Put in an ongoing request for the dates you need. Personally I'd list all resorts but for the ones you mentioned it would depend on the unit size. I'd skip over any studios and assuming no studios, of those 4 I'd take BLT, SSR, AKV then OKW.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Saratoga Springs pros: Rooms recently refurbished and I’ve heard they did a great job. Studios sleep five.
Yes, SSR is lovely after the refurb. However, the studios only sleep 4 (plus 1 child under 3 in a crib) - they don’t have the single Murphy bed under the TV, only a queen size bed and a queen size Murphy that pulls down to cover the couch.

@frytard , what is your party size and general age group?

As others have said, BLT studios are tiny, and if the sofa bed is pulled out there’s almost no room to walk around. But the 1BR are wonderful, with the two full bathrooms! We did get tired of having to trek over to the Contemporary monorail stop and then transfer at the TTC to get to Epcot, but if you have young kids and will spend more time at MK, being able to walk there makes it the winner.

I personally love AKL, especially Kidani, but I’ll admit that when we spent a week there, we got tired of having to ride a bus everywhere. In actual travel time, AKL isn’t any farther from the parks than the other DVC resorts are (BLT is farther from DHS than AKL is, for example), but it feels farther! However, there’s nothing like sitting on your balcony sipping your favorite beverage and watching zebras and giraffes grazing.

OKW and SSR are both bus-only to the parks as well and are both spread out with multiple buildings, multiple pools, and multiple internal bus stops. OKW has the advantage of having the largest villas, having been designed and built on the 1980s timeshare resort model, but there are elevators in only a few buildings, making stroller, wheelchair and scooter access problematic. All SSR buildings have elevators, so we prefer it over OKW.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

Personally I like Poly Lake View for fireworks- at MK-
And although you can see the Epcot show form some rooms at boardwalk and beach club - if your renting points or G-d forbid paying rack rate it’s not worth it with Harmonious - so much is dependent on the displays in the lake that your IMO better off doing a private fireworks cruise at EPCOT

if money is no object- skip room altogether
Grand a floridian private dining on the balcony!
It ran me about 4k a few years back for 2 of us but was incredible experience!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi All,

Best
SSR has newly renovated rooms…. You can walk to or take a boat to Disney springs. You’ll need to take a bus to the parks
OKW has the largest layouts of all rooms. You’ll need to rely on bus service to get to the parks
Bay lake is located on the monorail route and you can walk to magic kingdom. Probably the nicer of the 4 resorts IMO
AKL is great if you want Savannah view (usually what you get in an exchange) although it’s not guaranteed. You’ll need to rely on bus service to get to all of the parks. The rooms feel dark due to the dark wood and brown color scheme.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally I like Poly Lake View for fireworks- at MK-
And although you can see the Epcot show form some rooms at boardwalk and beach club - if your renting points or G-d forbid paying rack rate it’s not worth it with Harmonious - so much is dependent on the displays in the lake that your IMO better off doing a private fireworks cruise at EPCOT

if money is no object- skip room altogether
Grand a floridian private dining on the balcony!
It ran me about 4k a few years back for 2 of us but was incredible experience!
supposedly with the VIP tour if you stay thru to the evening, they will provide a private viewing location for the fireworks as well?

certainly many ways to skin that cat! In this instance however I was curious the best way to secure a view of the fireworks from the room each night as some attendees in our party are elderly and are not likely able to stay with the group the entire day/night and or access the river cruise or other such specific viewings of the fireworks etc.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes they will with the VIP tours but it makes for an incredibly LONG day…it’s generally a minimum 7hour deal before the reserved fireworks seating…

I am a huge fan of the VIP tours at WDW- and can recommend a VIP guide if you need…

Check out Poly lake view especially with older folks…

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, as long as I can exchange into DVC, I'm good with whatever resort I get. My priority is size. I will take a 1BR or 2BR at any resort vs a studio at a favorite in a heart beat.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes they will with the VIP tours but it makes for an incredibly LONG day…it’s generally a minimum 7hour deal before the reserved fireworks seating…

I am a huge fan of the VIP tours at WDW- and can recommend a VIP guide if you need…

Check out Poly lake view especially with older folks…
will absolutely follow up with that offer when we get our reservation set! (as i understand it they dont book before 60d out anyway?)