• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC II question - Deposit vs Request First

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So...the II DVC Buyer's Guide says, "1. DVC Members trading with the Exchange Program based on the relinquishment of DVC Points utilize an exchange method, referred to as Request First, whereby they do not give up their DVC Points until an exchange has been confirmed."

But when I go through DVC to the II/DVC portal I land on "My Units" which is empty and states, "Please contact Disney Vacation Club Member Services and request to have your Reservation Points deposited with Interval International. Once deposited, they will appear here for you to start planning your exchange."

Has anyone yet tried to deposit DVC points with II?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Just curious if you had to deposit first to do an exchange?
I'm looking at the site right now and I don't see much to exchange into especially Orlando seems blocked. Ugggh.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Exchanging in II is a terrible use of DVC points and should only be last resort. The best membership for II in my opinion is a 2 bedroom lock off Marriott week. The 1 bedroom portion exchanges into OKW and SSR for about 1350/week in a 1 bedroom, then you can use the studio portion to exchange for another week.

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanging in II is a terrible use of DVC points and should only be last resort. The best membership for II in my opinion is a 2 bedroom lock off Marriott week. The 1 bedroom portion exchanges into OKW and SSR for about 1350/week in a 1 bedroom, then you can use the studio portion to exchange for another week.
I know nada about Marriott weeks. Are they sold as points or weeks? Are Marriott TS's tied to specific properties? If so, does it make a difference where you own if you want a strong II trader? (It seems like the other dedicated DVC/II thread would imply so?) Thanks for any educating you can provide!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree that you can use/purchase a more cost effective trader for II. But, if a DVC owner just wants to go someplace different every now and then, the purchase of an entire new TS probably isn't a great option. (Not saying this is what the OP desires, just an example).

Yes, a DVC owner can rent out their points at decent profit and take the money to do whatever with. But, there are high value exchanges that can be had in II and I think there is value for a DVC owner to utilize it. The answer I don't know is what kind of trade power is II giving to DVC owners. I can only assume it is on the higher scale.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So...the II DVC Buyer's Guide says, "1. DVC Members trading with the Exchange Program based on the relinquishment of DVC Points utilize an exchange method, referred to as Request First, whereby they do not give up their DVC Points until an exchange has been confirmed."

But when I go through DVC to the II/DVC portal I land on "My Units" which is empty and states, "Please contact Disney Vacation Club Member Services and request to have your Reservation Points deposited with Interval International. Once deposited, they will appear here for you to start planning your exchange."

You can deposit points with II. It can be a way to extend the life of points you wouldn't use but I would only do so as a last resort. For most situations exchanging DVC in general is a poor choice but that's not always so, esp for someone who doesn't have other timeshare options for exchanging. Just pay attention to what you're looking for and agree to aiming for high demand resorts during peak seasons.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I don't see much to exchange into especially Orlando seems blocked.
When trading in RCI, DVC had a regional block on Orlando-area resorts - I think I read something like any resort within a 30 or maybe 50 mile radius from WDW. I’m expecting them to have the same in II, especially since IIRC the number of DVC points needed for an exchange in II is less than what’s needed for the same size villa at a WDW resort.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When trading in RCI, DVC had a regional block on Orlando-area resorts - I think I read something like any resort within a 30 or maybe 50 mile radius from WDW. I’m expecting them to have the same in II, especially since IIRC the number of DVC points needed for an exchange in II is less than what’s needed for the same size villa at a WDW resort.
It was 30 miles in RCI, 45 when with II before. They have already indicated this would be the same or similar with II this time but it's not working out that way in function. I too expect it will change at some point and since I know historically they have cancelled some exchanges that made it through when they shouldn't have, I think pending exchanges have a small risk as well, esp if a ways out in the future. Time will tell.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What a surprise to see these 1 bedrooms just sitting online at Saratoga in II. They are easy exchanges. I am unsure if Disney will ever give II bigger units, but Saratoga has been very popular with owners after the updates. They do sleep five comfortably.

We love OKW, but Saratoga is really beautiful.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I agree that you can use/purchase a more cost effective trader for II. But, if a DVC owner just wants to go someplace different every now and then, the purchase of an entire new TS probably isn't a great option. (Not saying this is what the OP desires, just an example).

Yes, a DVC owner can rent out their points at decent profit and take the money to do whatever with. But, there are high value exchanges that can be had in II and I think there is value for a DVC owner to utilize it. The answer I don't know is what kind of trade power is II giving to DVC owners. I can only assume it is on the higher scale.

The issue with II isn't trade power, it's trading priority. Most of the good resorts in II are Marriotts, so non Marriott owners only get the leftovers.

I disagree with your assessment about buying a resale Marriott as a good DVC alternative. Marriott deeds always at least have some resale value. I have 2 DVC trips this summer: 2 nights in a AKV value studio and 7 nights at OKW in a 1 bedroom. This is why I only care to own 50 DVC points. Cheap OKW/SSR stays are always easy to come by. I'm okay with doing mostly SSR/OKW for 7 nights and just using my DVC points for the other properties. It's a much cheaper option. Also, Marriott is the better ownership long term anyways. You aren't tied to vacationing in the same location every...single...year...

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

agree completely -

the way I read the original post the owner is asking about can they request first without depositing, not the the group consensus on if its a good use of DVC points…If the owner for example wants to go somewhere different this year than a one time exchange maybe be a better option than permanently taking on another unit. To be honest blanket statements like ”terrible use” is ridiculous the OP doesnt say anythng about needing to do an exchange on a regular basis so suggesting picking up another trader without more information is IMO nuts…There are a million and one reasons why a one time exchange may be a good option for DVC owners.

The Op asked a simple question answer -

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
the way I read the original post the owner is asking about can they request first without depositing, not the the group consensus on if its a good use of DVC points…There are a million and one reasons why a one time exchange may be a good option for DVC owners.

The Op asked a simple question answer -

Indeed. I was actually trying to help another DVC owner in another forum and discovered the II/DVC docs were clear as mud. I tried emailing the DVC Member Satisfaction Team - dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com - and they basically said, 'Way above our pay grade...you'll have to call.' Which I eventually did...the results of which follow below. That said, I still don't know of anyone who has actually put their DVC points into II so don't know anything for certain.

-----

I finally got around to calling about booking Interval International from DVC. After a little over an hour's wait I got some answers...though things are still hazy around the edges. Note that what follows is just what the CM knew to the best of her knowledge.

First off and despite the verbage in the II DVC Buyer's Guide, you can make Deposits into II using DVC points.

Second as it currently stands, the online DVC/II Portal only really works if you have one membership at one resort. Even though it asks which membership you want to use if you have more than one, you have no control over which resort the portal pulls points from.

However, if you call you can choose which resorts and memberships to use for a "Deposit", "Vacation Exchange", or "Place a Request".

There is a bit of trickyness about use years. If you make a "Deposit" you pull from the current use year only (and can bank and borrow subject to the 50% limit). But if you do a "Vacation Exchange" into a vacation in a later use year you have to pull from that use year's points.

Note that the Portal has an additional glaring deficiency in that it requires you to accept trades up to 4BRs when you "Place a Request". The only way to avoid being on the hook for large numbers of points is to only select resorts that have villas with the number of BRs you desire and none larger.

Unanswered questions.
What happens if you "Place a Request" with multiple dates that span multiple use years?
And I forgot to ask, If you call to make a request can you choose a maximum villa size less than 4BRs?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I was actually trying to help another DVC owner in another forum and discovered the II/DVC docs were clear as mud. I tried emailing the DVC Member Satisfaction Team - dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com - and they basically said, 'Way above our pay grade...you'll have to call.' Which I eventually did...the results of which follow below. That said, I still don't know of anyone who has actually put their DVC points into II so don't know anything for certain.

-----

I finally got around to calling about booking Interval International from DVC. After a little over an hour's wait I got some answers...though things are still hazy around the edges. Note that what follows is just what the CM knew to the best of her knowledge.

First off and despite the verbage in the II DVC Buyer's Guide, you can make Deposits into II using DVC points.

Second as it currently stands, the online DVC/II Portal only really works if you have one membership at one resort. Even though it asks which membership you want to use if you have more than one, you have no control over which resort the portal pulls points from.

However, if you call you can choose which resorts and memberships to use for a "Deposit", "Vacation Exchange", or "Place a Request".

There is a bit of trickyness about use years. If you make a "Deposit" you pull from the current use year only (and can bank and borrow subject to the 50% limit). But if you do a "Vacation Exchange" into a vacation in a later use year you have to pull from that use year's points.

Note that the Portal has an additional glaring deficiency in that it requires you to accept trades up to 4BRs when you "Place a Request". The only way to avoid being on the hook for large numbers of points is to only select resorts that have villas with the number of BRs you desire and none larger.

Unanswered questions.
What happens if you "Place a Request" with multiple dates that span multiple use years?
And I forgot to ask, If you call to make a request can you choose a maximum villa size less than 4BRs?
Did you discuss the 4 BR glitch with them? I would think they could fix it on their end until the website is changed. Limiting the number of points used for the exchange should also control this issue by default. The UY limitations you describe have always been in place, it's the UY at the time of the action (now for deposit first, date of exchange for exchanges). For exchanges over multiple UY it does mean you have uncertainty for which points will be used. It also means you have to pay attention to banking deadlines and either take a change by not banking or bank and take a chance on missing an exchange that comes in later in some cases. Historically DVC has been very flexible such as unbanning in this situation but I wouldn't count on this type of flexibility going forward. IMO ultimately nothing has changed. DVC is a horrible product for exchanging, there are other reasons I feel this way beyond what has been discussed here. But for specific situations it can still add value such as for very high end options during peak times and to extend the life of points in some cases. For most who want to exchange routinely, simply buying a non DVC exchanger is the best option.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you discuss the 4 BR glitch with them?...
Yes and no, we talked about the 4BR portal issue but her answer on the 4BR was part of a larger one of her expressing the viewpoint that the portal is a 'work in progress' and that future improvements and refinements would be added over time.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
@ljmiii, thank you for this information! I’m not anticipating an II exchange via my DVC membership, but I’m happy to have this knowledge, at least, and I appreciate the time you took to obtain it.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
If you make a "Deposit" you pull from the current use year only (and can bank and borrow subject to the 50% limit). But if you do a "Vacation Exchange" into a vacation in a later use year you have to pull from that use year's points.
The UY limitations you describe have always been in place, it's the UY at the time of the action (now for deposit first, date of exchange for exchanges).
Perhaps this explains why RCI continues to have DVC inventory deposited in the current calendar year. DVC has made RCI exchanges and drawn from DVCers' 2022 use year points to secure them.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Note that the Portal has an additional glaring deficiency in that it requires you to accept trades up to 4BRs when you "Place a Request".
Limiting the number of points used for the exchange should also control this issue by default.
Seems like a reasonable IT fix. Is that up to DVC or II?

But for specific situations it can still add value such as for very high end options during peak times and to extend the life of points in some cases.
If the DVC member must use travel date points, how could they extend their points' expiration date?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like a reasonable IT fix. Is that up to DVC or II?
I would assume it'd be on II's end, it always has been. Back when DVC was with II before, some DVC CM had direct internal access to II's system just like the II reps did. This included internal rating information. I'm sure DVD will be directly involved in the decision making but the actual implementation I'd assume is up to II.]

If the DVC member must use travel date points, how could they extend their points' expiration date?
Deposit first then they'd have 2 plus years to use the exchange.[/QUOTE]

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau

Lol new to timesharing and this is what I have given to me by my mom. Woohoo! I may buy DVC timeshare when I have the chance. Have you seen anything except SSR though in the II?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Lol new to timesharing and this is what I have given to me by my mom. Woohoo! I may buy DVC timeshare when I have the chance. Have you seen anything except SSR though in the II?
Only Saratoga Springs.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Only SSR. Honestly DVC is the worst value of all the major brands (resale). That's why it's my smallest ownership. If you do go that route, I would honestly just get a small amount of points and use it once every 2/3 years. Wyndham/Marriott have some pretty awesome Orlando resorts.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Only SSR. Honestly DVC is the worst value of all the major brands (resale). That's why it's my smallest ownership. If you do go that route, I would honestly just get a small amount of points and use it once every 2/3 years. Wyndham/Marriott have some pretty awesome Orlando resorts.
Only Saratoga Springs.

Yep I would get a small one for Disney trips to be in the park. Definitely not a lot of value but you “pay for the Disney experience” I guess

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Depends how you define value .

If it is percentage of recovering the money you spent for resale, DVC holds the best value. Actually even people buying retail a few years ago could sell at resale prices for their purchase.

Now past performance doesn't guarantee future performance. But DVC has held resale value pretty good for the past 20 years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep I would get a small one for Disney trips to be in the park. Definitely not a lot of value but you “pay for the Disney experience” I guess
It really depends on your circumstances. If you are restricted to visiting WDW during school vacations then Disney makes staying 'on property' completely worth it. The rules for visiting the parks have changed over time, but seemingly with each change Disney (unsurprisingly) increases the value of DVC. If you want to ride the in-demand rides without a wait (e.g. Flight of Passage or Rise of the Resistance) or make advance dining reservations at the 'hottest' new restaurants (e.g. Space 220) during Easter or Presidents or Christmas week then you need to stay on property. If you are free to visit when the crowds are smaller it is less essential (though still useful).

Meanwhile, I would never suggest buying DVC for financial gain and as @frank808 said, past performance is no guarantee of future results. But all of our DVC purchases have been quite profitable and I just calculated that I'm getting a little over 8% return renting out my AKV points through a no effort, DVC rental website.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
It really depends on your circumstances. If you are restricted to visiting WDW during school vacations then Disney makes staying 'on property' completely worth it. The rules for visiting the parks have changed over time, but seemingly with each change Disney (unsurprisingly) increases the value of DVC. If you want to ride the in-demand rides without a wait (e.g. Flight of Passage or Rise of the Resistance) or make advance dining reservations at the 'hottest' new restaurants (e.g. Space 220) during Easter or Presidents or Christmas week then you need to stay on property. If you are free to visit when the crowds are smaller it is less essential (though still useful).

Meanwhile, I would never suggest buying DVC for financial gain and as @frank808 said, past performance is no guarantee of future results. But all of our DVC purchases have been quite profitable and I just calculated that I'm getting a little over 8% return renting out my AKV points through a no effort, DVC rental website.
I was super close purchasing DVC pre pandemic and even did calculations of each resort MF fees per point. Aulani was the perfect fit actually as we go to Hawaii every year except 2020.

I was looking for a unsubsidized resale at the time but we never got around to it. That or I think it was Boardwalk or Saratoga which were pretty close. One thing I like about DVC is that it really isn’t a deed like other TS but leasing. Also Disney has a reputation to keep so they will always keep their properties updated in my opinion. Obviously I would have to buy cash as financing any timeshare is loss of value.

Just a consideration but as I have done more research on timeshares when my mom basically gave me her pre 2010 MVC I am finding that there may be value in other timeshares and just rent DVC once in awhile like we previously have with Aulani.

If you have recommendations I am definitely open ears as I am still in the Research phase of everything.

Just had a kid who’s six months me and wife have about 5 weeks off a year or so so definitely trying to take advantage of travel savings as that is our favorite thing to do.