• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC for sale on e-bay

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney WILL exercise ROFR. I would bet ANYTHING on it. AS a matter of fact, I'm surprised that an agent would even bother to spend the 5 minutes of his/her time to list it.

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the listing again. There IS a reserve price (which could be 20 grand, all we know) Disney would not let this go for less than about 85/pt.

WINSLOW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just purchased 210 Sept use Boardwalk points and it passed ROFR at $81/pt. on Oct 1. Thought I'd let you know incase anyone wanted to make an offer on the ebay listing.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is not using ROFR anymore (except in very rare occasions) due to the economy and sluggish sales. Disney might be doing the same. Developers who have tons of their own inventory that they can't sell don't want to buy more inventory. If it is an absolute steal Disney might ROFR. If you buy it cheap and they ROFR you get 100% of your money back. If they don't ROFR you got a deal.

The Disney forum needs to set up a site that shows what passed ROFR and what didin't like the Marriott site has. http://dioxide45.tripod.com/cgi-bin/rofr.cgi It doesn't tell you everything that the developer is or is'nt ROFR'ing, but it will at least let TUGGERS know what TUGGERs bought that did and didn't pass ROFR. You might be surprised at how low DVC's are selling and not being ROFR'd if you knew the facts. Disney won't ever release that information.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is not using ROFR anymore (except in very rare occasions) due to the economy and sluggish sales. Disney might be doing the same. Developers who have tons of their own inventory that they can't sell don't want to buy more inventory. If it is an absolute steal Disney might ROFR. If you buy it cheap and they ROFR you get 100% of your money back. If they don't ROFR you got a deal.

The Disney forum needs to set up a site that shows what passed ROFR and what didin't like the Marriott site has. http://dioxide45.tripod.com/cgi-bin/rofr.cgi It doesn't tell you everything that the developer is or is'nt ROFR'ing, but it will at least let TUGGERS know what TUGGERs bought that did and didn't pass ROFR. You might be surprised at how low DVC's are selling and not being ROFR'd if you knew the facts. Disney won't ever release that information.

Try here on Mouseowners, http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11626

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about those sites. That is great information to have, but it is skewed by GMAC sales. If you have a TUG independent site you would have fewer posts but at least they wouldn't be biased. GMAC has an incentive to raise the prices they list that Disney ROFR's so they can tell buyers that they need to pay higher prices on what they are selling. A truly independent site might have some different results.

I just posted the listing to see if it would be of help to anyone. I have nothing to do with the sale, it is simply a sighting from me. The sale obviously won't end at $5000, that is where it starts. However if you win it for $15000 or so and Disney didn't ROFR it you would have a good deal If they ROFR you get your money back.

Disney has much less incentive to ROFR than they did a couple of months ago. Lenders have tightened up and RTU timeshares are not the type of loans banks are thrilled about making right now. Disney is not immune to tight credit, reduced prospects, and a struggling economy. Why do you think Disney is suddenly offering free tickets on your birthday and drastically reduced prices on some of the disney accomodation packages with rooms staring at $59? http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...Page&int_CMP=WDWHomeLeftPromoToWDWQ1FY09Offer

Now or in the near future I bet that Disney will reduce the frequency of their ROFR's and reduce the price points at which they exercise their option. Some people will buy and own DVC for prices unheard of a few months ago. Just look at the Marriott sales and you will see that no developers are immune from this economic downturn. It is simple economics:a reduced number of buyers with an increased number of timeshares for sale equals reduced sales prices.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about those sites. That is great information to have, but it is skewed by GMAC sales. If you have a TUG independent site you would have fewer posts but at least they wouldn't be biased. GMAC has an incentive to raise the prices they list that Disney ROFR's so they can tell buyers that they need to pay higher prices on what they are selling. A truly independent site might have some different results.

Your assumptions are just SLIGHTLY off! For a DVC broker- it is actually better to have a buyer offer just below ROFR numbers- and for Disney to exercise on the sale.. The broker still gets paid on the ROFR sale and chances are the buyer will try again at a slightly higher number. Two commissions beats one every time!

The only reseller that would have a vested interest to inflate pricing levels would be one that buys and sells from their own name. Your argument would make more sense if you were stating that prices were being reduced to encourage more low offers.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a potential buyer calls me and says I will give you $15,000 for 200 DVC points and I can show him figures (inflated or not) that makes him feel that he will need to pay at least $20,000 to pass ROFR, he might raise his offer to $20,000. If he says I have seen them pass ROFR at $14500 so I will stick at $15,000, the seller has lost $5000. If it is ROFR'd at $15,000, there is no guarantee that the buyer will ever offer to buy another points pkge. $20,000 using the ROFR threat would beat $15,000 and the hope that the buyer would try to buy another one. One in the hand always beats two in the bush.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Living In A Completely Different Timeshare Universe.

If a potential buyer calls me and says I will give you $15,000 for 200 DVC points and I can show him figures (inflated or not) that makes him feel that he will need to pay at least $20,000 to pass ROFR, he might raise his offer to $20,000. If he says I have seen them pass ROFR at $14500 so I will stick at $15,000, the seller has lost $5000. If it is ROFR'd at $15,000, there is no guarantee that the buyer will ever offer to buy another points pkge. $20,000 using the ROFR threat would beat $15,000 and the hope that the buyer would try to buy another one. One in the hand always beats two in the bush.
I have no doubt that the DVC timeshares are extremely nice. Ditto Marriott. Ditto Hyatt. No question.

But $20,000 ?

For a timeshare ?

Sheesh.

By me, even $15,000 is way over budget for a timeshare -- any timeshare.

It would be interesting to know whether the timeshare high-rollers have any more fun at their fancypants timeshares than we bottom-feeding bargain hunters have at our el cheapos.

Then again, by me going el cheapo -- i.e., enjoying luxury timeshare accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates -- is half the fun.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that the DVC timeshares are extremely nice. Ditto Marriott. Ditto Hyatt. No question.

But $20,000 ?

For a timeshare ?

Sheesh.

By me, even $15,000 is way over budget for a timeshare -- any timeshare.

It would be interesting to know whether the timeshare high-rollers have any more fun at their fancypants timeshares than we bottom-feeding bargain hunters have at our el cheapos.

Then again, by me going el cheapo -- i.e., enjoying luxury timeshare accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates -- is half the fun.

I personally agree with you, but many want nothing but DVC or Marriott. I can't imagine myself paying over $1500 for a 2 bed room prime week anywhere (including Hawaii and the caribbean) as cheap as timeshares are selling right now. I own many RCI gold crown and II 5 star resorts that were all purchased for less than $2000. I posted this for others to consider who were interested in DVC resorts.

I was using $20,000 as an example because the statement was made that there is no way it will sell for less than $20,000. I think it will sell for less than $15000, possibly less than $10,000. I was simply posting the ad so some die hard DVC owners would have a chance to buy it if they are interested.

update 10/23/2008: I was wrong, the price is already over $10,000. I might still be correct on the less than $15,000 though.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Standing Up For The Bottom-Feeding Bargain Hunters.

I posted this for others to consider who were interested in DVC resorts.
I wasn't criticising -- just noting in amazement how much folks willingly pay for timeshares in contrast with my own pinch-penny attitude (not that there's anything wrong with being thrifty).